So how do I fix a curved record by sun?

danceonamericadanceonamerica 233 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
(Ordering records from sunny Israel related)Yes, a similar thread on soulstrut about this subject may exist.I haven't ordered the rarest shit in the world or spent mad cash but still, all 3 records arrived slightly curved, c'est la vie (however, they're still playable). I was expecting that something like it may happen but I told the seller to pack it well.I'd like to hear your personal techniques to fix this (what you heard or tried). Weight? Heat?I'll eventually try it on a bullshit warped record to test it.All 3 records from the late 70's.It's not like they arrived in pieces in the box.Thanks!

Comments

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    If they still play I usually leave them as they are.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Yo, my man Jeff out in west Philly just showed me this trick when I went to buy up a bunch of his Czech records the other day (this method may have already been posted by someone on the Strut in the past, I dunno). Put the record between two approx. 12 X 12 pieces of glass (should've checked the thickness of glass, but just something that's heavy enough to put some weight on the vinyl, I guess). Put the record-and-glass sandwich out in the sun for a few hours. Remove record from pieces of glass and viola, your warped record is now nice and flat again. Dude says he's done it a few times, and it's worked perfectly on each ocassion.

I'd say try it out on a worthless piece of vinyl first before attempting to straighten out your raers, though.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Theres a machine that does this. I want to know if anyone's used/tried it.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Hi,

I've known people who've tried it - it removes the warp at the risk of adding a lot of surface noise. The machine is about 1500.00 bucks. I bet there are audio shops at NYC where you can demo it. It was reviewed in Stereophile a few months back.

h

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    I've done the following and it has proved successful. Put the record out in the sun between two large pieces of glass, make sure the glass is larger than the 12" record. Make sure that the record is lying flat and even between the glass (just vinyl in paper sleeve, no cardboard cover). Keep it outside for about an hour or so. When it is time to take it inside, do not take the record out from the glass, bring the both pieces of glass with record in between, let cool down and then take it out of the glass. This works for not so serious warps.

-k

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    I've done the following and it has proved successful. Put the record out in the sun between two large pieces of glass, make sure the glass is larger than the 12" record. Make sure that the record is lying flat and even between the glass (just vinyl in paper sleeve, no cardboard cover). Keep it outside for about an hour or so. When it is time to take it inside, do not take the record out from the glass, bring the both pieces of glass with record in between, let cool down and then take it out of the glass. This works for not so serious warps.

-k

I already said that.