Aaron Neville: Hercules - worth the $?

13»

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Hey, Chicago is known for its' ballads, but then where does that leave Alvin Cash?

He's originally from St. Louis.

But he made his name in Chicago.

(And evidently died here, as well - in the '80s and '90s I used to see him hanging around and sitting in at blues clubs all the time.)

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I often wondered how "city of origin" gets determined in cases where the birthplace of an artist doesn't correspond to where that artist made their name.

Hey, Chicago is known for its' ballads, but then where does that leave Alvin Cash?

He's originally from St. Louis.

But he made his name in Chicago.

(And evidently died here, as well - in the '80s and '90s I used to see him hanging around and sitting in at blues clubs all the time.)

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

"I put-m too much-m cocoa butter... on my haaaaands"

- spidey

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

Is the version of hercules on this comp any good, or is it not as good as the 45 version?

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    There is also a re-issue 45 on Jazzman. It's on vinyl too.

And, if I'm not mistaken, it's a longer version than the original release.

Hercules is about as good as music gets in my book.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    Man this is a great song and I'm willing to pay to play when it comes to records but I'd save my money. The comp or reissue work just fine in my life, unless I find it on the cheap in the wild.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

"I put-m too muh--mmuch-m cocoa bu- uh-uh -tteurr r... on my haaaaands"

- spidey

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

- spidey

What is this from?

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts

- spidey

What is this from?

Is that from SNL?

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

- spidey

What is this from?

Is that from SNL?

Well, that would explain why nobody's seen it before...

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Though I'm confused - is there a lot of NOLA songs that do NOT get the "funk" nod? To me, NOLA and funk are synonymous. Who gets excluded?

Not by all, but many exclude Professor Longhair's Big Chief and Smokey Johnson's It Ain't My Fault, among others. I might even go deeper and further back into time than that and try to include certain songs by Dave Bartholomew and Allen Toussaint that would quickly be dismissed by overzealous JB worshippers.

I know that Hercules isn't all that early in the game, but funk-wise to me it's not too far off from Chocolate Milk's Actions Speak Louder Than Words.

He's talking about my defense of Cold Sweat as the first true hunk of funk.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I know this is one of those very subjective price czech type questions but is Neville's "Hercules" really worth $200 to people on the basis of quality? Don't get me wrong - I think it's a great song, really like it, blah blah blah...but it's just one of those pieces that personally, I can't really see paying more than $75-100 for.

Is it just me?

You need to post a matrix of what makes a record worth:
    50-75
    75-100
    100-150
    150-200
    200-300

Once we have all your criteria in place we can properly rate where Hercules falls.

I love Aaron Nevile and think it's cool that there is a very rare 45 of his that good vinyl pressings of are even rarer plus it has a break beat that's been sampled.

The break beat and funk communities makes a mistake when they think all copies of a rare 45 are worth $200 dollars because a soul connaisseur paid that much for a mint vinyl copy with out the pressing flaw.