Olbermann fucking kills it tonight

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    3. Digital narcissism

Absolutely

Besides, they can sit home behind the safety of their computers and call people KKKunts without fear of retaliation.

oh, i'm sorry. we should leave all the real writing to the great journalists out there--not to mention that you are both posting constantly on a message board. digital narcissists who?

"Real writing"? "Journalists?" Where are you getting this stuff from? And more importantly, what would any of that have to do with the lack of activism in the country?

There's no need to feel threatened, I wasn't implying anything about message board users, or bloggers. But, dude, as someone familiar with the DSM-IV, how do communities like myspace and youtube not strike you as fertile ground for the cultivation of narcissism?

you are both posting constantly on a message board. digital narcissist who?

You are perfectly capable of doing this math yourself. If, instead, you'd like to accuse me of constantly reading the message board, I'd have no case for disagreement.

Nah, dude I'm going off on the book you cited. It has nothing to do with the so-called "lack of activism in the USA"

I'm just surprised you would bring that book into this. Keen's book is awful. I tried to read it. Well written and funny in parts, but so full of bullshit. From someone who likes bullshit too.

And for the record I focus on parts of the DSM-VI TR that match empirical science--both in terms of assessment and intervention. That axis II bullshit (no retarded) is for the philosophers and those few left over freudian wizards. It's super annoying when lay persons throw them around like some high-brow cutdown. Personality Disorder NOS. GTFO LOL. That's my favorite.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

I'm just surprised you would bring that book into this. Keen's book is awful. I tried to read it. Well written and funny in parts, but so full of bullshit. From someone who likes bullshit too.

Keen's book, which I admit isn't great, actually interests me less than the concept of digital narcissism in general. My fear is simply that in the event of a draft, we'll see more people registering their disgust on youtube than out on the streets actively protesting.

That axis II bullshit (no retarded) is for the philosophers and those few left over freudian wizards. It's super annoying when lay persons throw them around like some high-brow cutdown. Personality Disorder NOS. GTFO LOL. That's my favorite.

Well, I will certainly give you that empiricism and the study of personality are not often seated at the same table. Still, I don't think the notion of personality disorders is completely unfounded. Also, calling someone narcissistic or obsessive compulsive doesn't necessarily have anything to do with axis II. Telling someone they have a "narcissistic personality disorder", on the other hand, would definitely be comedy.

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts
    Keith Olbermann is the mutherfucking man! I seriously hope a lot of people see this.

thanks for posting this F***k.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    p.s.-DIE

Well, that's not nice. Vinegar, flies, honey, mate.

I must say that the Olbermann speech reads fairly well. Bravo. And although his video performance isn't poor, watching him perform is at other times painful. Admittedly, Left-wingers (myself included) don't wear the righteous indignation badge as well as Righties. But it's really (and sadly) the only major media rallying cry that Lefties have.

There's a reason why Bush timed the Libby commutation until right before the most major of US holidays. This is pretty fucking blatant, folks. Rock - without changing the subject - you've got to admit this much.

Blatant and bullshit....

Almost as humorous as Hilary feigning disgust as if she never heard of Sandy Berger.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    p.s.-DIE

I must say that the Olbermann speech reads fairly well. Bravo. And although his video performance isn't poor, watching him perform is at other times painful. Admittedly, Left-wingers (myself included) don't wear the righteous indignation badge as well as Righties. But it's really (and sadly) the only major media rallying cry that Lefties have.

There's a reason why Bush timed the Libby commutation until right before the most major of US holidays. This is pretty fucking blatant, folks. Rock - without changing the subject - you've got to admit this much.

Blatant and bullshit....

Almost as humorous as Hilary feigning disgust as if she never heard of Sandy Berger.

Interestingly enough...

But you still changed the subject.

p.s.-DIE

Blatant and bullshit....

Interestingly enough...

But you still changed the subject.

Hmmm. Let's see...

Yep! There goes your first two Baby Boomer presidents. Nice work!

Remind me what all those protests were about? Oh yeah: fucking and getting high.

R*ch you touch on the very essence of the hypocrisy of your generation when you had the audacity to bring up that "kids these days are etc., etc" bullshit. guess what? kids these days were raised by you and your generation. if there's anything that defines your legacy, it's how you brought up the next generation. so all that pejorative generation x bullshit is just you catching a glance in the mirror at your own materialism, multiple divorces, retarded partisanship and utter contempt for anything but your selfcentered existence.

LET THE EAGLE SOAR!

FB

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    this story has fallen off the face of the earth.

how convenient.

• djJazzOnedjJazzOne 302 Posts
    "Orgasm clip spices up EU meeting."

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    my question is how is olberman able to still walk and breathe after speaking the truth like that on a major news network?

how and who is letting him"get away" with this?
    It's an anomily that the thug squad hasn't killed him yet
    the new edward r murrow?

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    this story has fallen off the face of the earth.

how convenient.

?????????????????????

This is YOUR generation we're talking about pal, not mine.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    You think they would have typed that shit.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    All jokes aside, those kids kick ass.

Seriously. I'm confused about this "freedom"...

Like those revolutionaries who ???dropped their pitchforks and picked up their muskets to fight for liberty,??? Bush said, American soldiers were also fighting ???a new and unprecedented war??? to protect U.S. freedom.

Here's what I learned in highschool. Free people govern themselves. They select individuals from among themselves to serve the public interest guided by a set of laws that they collectively...

what am missing?

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    freedom?

we invaded a country that never attacked us

and created and in turn these so called"terrorists"

20 years from now when there are iraqi resturants on every corner in amerikka "they" will admit it was a mistake

we have killed hundreds of thousands of civillians
    displaced millions[1 million alone in syria]
    but as long as root/brown/blackwater/boeing/bell/raytheon/haliburton etc get paid and there is enough cheap gas for your SUV it's ok

i wonder how many dead iraqi's = a cheap tank of gas

remember in europe gas is still unsubsidized and they pay double for gas as they always have

R*ch you touch on the very essence of the hypocrisy of your generation when you had the audacity to bring up that "kids these days are etc., etc" bullshit. guess what? kids these days were raised by you and your generation. if there's anything that defines your legacy, it's how you brought up the next generation. so all that pejorative generation x bullshit is just you catching a glance in the mirror at your own materialism, multiple divorces, retarded partisanship and utter contempt for anything but your selfcentered existence.

LET THE EAGLE SOAR!

FB

Fr*nk,
    Calm down a little and re-read this thread.....it was Kala who called out the "kids these days" for not going out and protesting like MY generation did, not me. I simply gave my opinion as to WHY they weren't. Then Dr. Wu pointed out that my theory was not entirely correct and that one of the main reasons was there was no draft, to which I agreed.

Kala also called me out by name as to represent what is wrong with our country. Again, It's not me that is pointing a finger of blame. Nor did I defend my or any other generation. I simply touched on some truths that obviously hit close to home......so close that you were motivated to wish death on someone. Very nice.

I DO believe more young people would be out in the streets publically displaying their beliefs if they weren't so pre-occupied with the Internet, the cult of personality and technology in general, don't you??

And fyi, in my teens and 20's I was a liberal as anyone here. I attended Anti-War rallys, campaigned for George McGovern and was at constant odds with my conservative, construction worker Dad. He still calls me a "hippie". The opinions and views I have today are a result of my life experiences, and quite frankly, I can't imagine anyone who has lived the life I have NOT having these opinions. I think I evolved from an idealist into a realist....idealists make friends/realists make enemies.

And since you pointed a finger at me above you need to know I've been married 28 years, never divorced, have two children that are members of the current generation of College students, collect music and not records as the "materialism" of owning vinyl doesn't appeal to me and eschew partisanship to the point where both the right and the left point at me as "the enemy". So much for your wholesale condemnation of an entire generation who you conveniently blame for all the country's problems. The next best thing to a solution is a scapegoat.

I wish you all the best.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    rockadelic-you ever traveled outside the US?
    mexico/pr doesn't count

first of all Cockadelick you are not my pal

You mean "Cockadelic" isn't a term of endearment??

I figured after you calling me the amazing "fucky eye-terd" in PM's that Cockadelic was your way of being "pals".

You post your tired ass dogma on here lamenting the lack of protestors on the streets and when I comment as to why this may be true you come back with this lame ....But, but, but I DO protest and I have gone to D.C.....so what is it dude, there ARE or AREN'T protests going on??

The truth is your'e nothing more than a cartoon character with an on-line persona that allows you act the fool. There is NO ONE that talks in real life, to real people, the way you do here. At least no one who's nose hasn't been broken multiple times. I put you and Dolo in the same category. Put my name in your mouth and I'll respond. Don't and I won't, as of today.

mexico/pr doesn't count

Yes....Most recently 3 years ago to Germany and Switzerland.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    mexico/pr doesn't count

that explains a lot

I DO believe more young people would be out in the streets publically displaying their beliefs if they weren't so pre-occupied with the Internet, the cult of personality and technology in general, don't you??

No. We have made the mistake of assuming our elders could apply their wisdom and experience to not only do what's best moving forward, but also not to repeat previous mistakes.

And fyi, in my teens and 20's I was a liberal as anyone here. I attended Anti-War rallys, campaigned for George McGovern and was at constant odds with my conservative, construction worker Dad. He still calls me a "hippie". The opinions and views I have today are a result of my life experiences, and quite frankly, I can't imagine anyone who has lived the life I have NOT having these opinions. I think I evolved from an idealist into a realist....idealists make friends/realists make enemies.

And since you pointed a finger at me above you need to know I've been married 28 years, never divorced, have two children that are members of the current generation of College students, collect music and not records as the "materialism" of owning vinyl doesn't appeal to me and eschew partisanship to the point where both the right and the left point at me as "the enemy". So much for your wholesale condemnation of an entire generation who you conveniently blame for all the country's problems. The next best thing to a solution is a scapegoat.

I wish you all the best.

The current situation is very bad. Your generation is responsible for the current situation. Period. You cannot deny that.

My generation will pick up the pieces and my children will benefit from that.

But it would be nice if you baby boomers did something to help us on your way out.

Unlikely.

mexico/pr doesn't count

that explains a lot

like what?

http://bobgeiger.blogspot.com/2007/07/gop-senators-who-voted-for-clinton.html

Of the 25 Republican Senators still in the Senate and who voted that day to convict Clinton on both articles of impeachment, not one of them has issued a public statement on the Libby sentence commutation in the three days since it occurred.

Not one.

There's not even a statement of support for Bush's lawless decision -- except from Fred Thompson who, while no longer in the Senate, has his sights set on convincing people that he's fit to be the next seedy Republican to occupy the White House.

All of this struck me as rather strange, so I thought I would go back and look at what some of them had to say about the rule of law, integrity and all of that stuff when it involved a Democrat and not one of their own.

And you're not going to believe this: What seems to be OK with them now, wasn't acceptable back in 1999.

Here's Wayne Allard (R-CO) on President Clinton:

"The Constitution is what preserves the rule of law, and guarantees that we remain a nation of laws, not of men.

"I hold the President to a higher standard because he is the chief law enforcement official of the nation. If he is above the law, then we have a double standard; one for the powerful, and one for the rest.

"The sworn oath is central not only to our Constitution, but also to the administration of justice. Our legal system would not function without it."
    And John McCain (R-AZ) seems to think that swearing to tell the truth is a pretty darned important thing to abide by:

"All of my life, I have been instructed never to swear an oath to my country in vain. In my former profession, those who violated their sworn oath were punished severely and considered outcasts from our society. I do not hold the President to the same standard that I hold military officers to. I hold him to a higher standard."
    Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-TX) gives a moving statement about how we should hope that history looks back kindly at how we observed the rule of law:

"I was reminded as well, however, that the laws of our Country are applicable to us all, including the President, and they must be obeyed. The concept of equal justice under law and the importance of absolute truth in legal proceedings is the foundation of our justice system in the courts.

"A hundred years from now, when history looks back to this moment, we can hope for a conclusion that our Constitution has been applied fairly and survives, that we have come to principled judgments about matters of national importance, and that the rule of law in American has been sustained."
    And George Voinovich (R-OH) made a good case for impeachment no matter the circumstances -- are we listening Speaker Pelosi and Majority Leader Reid? -- when he said "I sincerely believe that this country can survive the removal of a popular president who has forfeited public trust. But, our country cannot survive the abandonment of trust itself."

Imagine how well we could survive the removal of a president who's about as popular as Ann Coulter at a Democratic National Committee mixer.

So given all of that and the equally strident statements made in 1999 by so many of their colleagues, it's odd that there's not one similarly scathing statement about George W. Bush deciding to effectively pardon a convicted criminal just because he's a loyal Bushie -- oh, and also to keep him from coming forward with the truth about the outing of covert CIA operative Valerie Plame.

It could be that the Senate is in recess and that all of their press secretaries are vacationing in Nepal and simply can't get to their laptops. No, it can't be that, because they seem to be finding time to comment on other issues that, perhaps, they consider more pressing. Kit Bond (R-MO) has released three statements since Monday but they have titles like "Bond Attends New National Guard Facility Ribbon-Cutting" and "Bond: Good Vision is Fundamental to Learning." Judd Gregg (R-NH) is all atwitter this week over his support for "Granite State Ocean And Fisheries Research" and Dick Lugar (R-IN) is incredibly excited about the "???first E-85 ethanol pump in Washington, D.C."

But maybe it's just possible that all of these Republican Senators are a bunch of cynical, hypocritical cowards who simply don???t have the guts to speak with what little conscience they have on this issue.

I think I'll go with that one.

The 25 GOP Senators Who Voted Guilty Twice On Clinton

Here they are:

Wayne Allard (R-CO)
    Robert Bennett (R-UT)
    Kit Bond (R-MO)
    Sam Brownback (R-KS)
    Jim Bunning (R-KY)
    Thad Cochran (R-MS)
    Larry Craig (R-ID)
    Mike Crapo (R-ID)
    Pete Domenici (R-NM)
    Mike Enzi (R-WY)
    Chuck Grassley (R-IA)
    Judd Gregg (R-NH)
    Chuck Hagel (R-NE)
    Orrin Hatch (R-UT)
    Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-TX)
    Jim Inhofe (R-OK)
    Jon Kyl (R-AZ)
    Trent Lott (R-MS)
    Dick Lugar (R-IN)
    John McCain (R-AZ)
    Mitch McConnell (R-KY)
    Pat Roberts (R-KS)
    Jeff Sessions (R-AL)
    Gordon Smith (R-OR)
    George Voinovich (R-OH)

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    you watch this lunatic and yet you criticize Fox news in almost the same breadth?

you watch this lunatic and yet you criticize Fox news in almost the same breadth?

the breath of your knowledge is incredible.

lol.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

lol.

if your deficiencies were only as small as a typo.

P.S. you misspelled potato last week Einstein.

mexico/pr doesn't count

that explains a lot

like what?

This is gonna be good.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    my question is how is olberman able to still walk and breathe after speaking the truth like that on a major news network?

how and who is letting him"get away" with this?
    It's an anomily that the thug squad hasn't killed him yet
    the new edward r murrow?

GTFOHWTBS.

your faux amazement at the fact that someone can freely criticize the government is hilarious. try the fact that this country is no where near the fascist state that exists in your mind garden.

lol.

if your deficiencies were only as small as a typo.

P.S. you misspelled potato last week Einstein.

back to scooter...

we're still waiting for you people to come up with something better than: because he can and/or clinton blah blah blah.

ps--are they teaching you about these two sets of laws in your school? one for us and another for them. do tell. i want in.