R. CRUMB APPRECIATION THREAD

lord234lord234 236 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
comic legend, musician, record collector, perv....... what you guys think?

Comments

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    a philly classic!!!!!

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    facinating person...let me put it this way, i saw nudity in comic book form through robert crumb before i opened up a playboy. and i got the crumb book from my local library of all places. it featured fritz the cat and others in some stuff i shouldn't have been reading back then. i wanted to grow up and be a cartoonist then and there!

the documentary on him is uncomfortably entertaining

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    comic legend, musician, record collector, perv....... what you guys think?

mad asshurt that jagger got more ass than him.

• highly reccomend the yazoo comps from the 70's he illustrated the covers. recently picked up harmonica blues on the cheap. cheap suit serenaders are also pretty entertaining.

Got to flip through one of his sketchbooks once, absolutely mindblowing, his original drawings are amazing.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    watching his documentary makes me want to draw and draw and draw!

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    Just picked up one of his books last week:

Great bathroom reading. Nice CD too.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    dude can really draw. I want to see the original front cover art for that Joplin lp now.

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    Fritz the Cat left such an impression on me that I named my Siamese after him - he looked just like him and loved hanging out with me when I smoked weed. He was good with the ladies too! R.I.P Fritz

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    an all time great american artist. id rank him and his artwork as amongst the top 10 of the 20th century - easily holds up to all the major visual artists of 1900-2000 in terms of: talent, relevance, real-ness, etc. A deeply damaged person but hes managed to hold it together and not go over (or stay over) the deep end, so he wins with the house in the south of france and the wild wife.

• lord234lord234 236 Posts
    an all time great american artist. id rank him and his artwork as amongst the top 10 of the 20th century - easily holds up to all the major visual artists of 1900-2000 in terms of: talent, relevance, real-ness, etc. A deeply damaged person but hes managed to hold it together and not go over (or stay over) the deep end, so he wins with the house in the south of france and the wild wife.

exactly, couldn't have put it better my self.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

I got this for my birthday this year. Its a cool little book and the CD is nice too.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

I got this for my birthday this year. Its a cool little book and the CD is nice too.

I have his heroes of the blues trading cards.