PSYCHEDELIC FILMS

Comments

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

'99 and 44% Dead' is great...when will this and 'O Lucky Man!' see DVD releases? It's not as if they were obscure in their day, or made by one-shot directors! I demand justice!

I'm jealous, I've never been able to track down this one.

Since Lindsay Anderson's If... came out on Criterion recently, I'd say that bodes well for a near-future O Lucky Man release.

• 3RD_Man3RD_Man 213 Posts

Valerie a t??den divu aka Valerie and Her Week of Wonders... czech flick from '71... one of the most surreal mindfucks I've been witness to.... gotta thank my bro for the rip of this...

Jodorowsky is a great starting point... along with many other titles previously mentioned... eg. The Trip, 200 Motels, Head, etc...

Un Chien Andalou doesn't exactly qualify as being a product of the 'psychedelic' era but is as surreal/incoherent as films come...

Here's a few other titles...

Django Kill with Tomas Milian
    Barbarella
    Gas-s-s-s
    Space is the Place
    Blue Sunshine
    Liquid Sky... (from the early 80's but essential viewing)
    Maniac (1934)... not the William Lustig slasher
    High School Confidential
    Ghetto Freaks
    Venus In Furs... along with other random Franco fare ie. She Killed in Ecstasy...
    Warhol flicks... eg. Trash, Flesh, Flesh for Frankenstein, Blood for Dracula...
    Clockwork Orange
    Blood & Black Lace....
    etc., etc....

Valerie a t??den divu aka Valerie and Her Week of Wonders... czech flick from '71... one of the most surreal mindfucks I've been witness to.... gotta thank my bro for the rip of this...

Jodorowsky is a great starting point... along with many other titles previously mentioned... eg. The Trip, 200 Motels, Head, etc...

Un Chien Andalou doesn't exactly qualify as being a product of the 'psychedelic' era but is as surreal/incoherent as films come...

Here's a few other titles...

Django Kill with Tomas Milian
    Barbarella
    Gas-s-s-s
    Space is the Place
    Blue Sunshine
    Liquid Sky... (from the early 80's but essential viewing)
    Maniac (1934)... not the William Lustig slasher
    High School Confidential
    Ghetto Freaks
    Venus In Furs... along with other random Franco fare ie. She Killed in Ecstasy...
    Warhol flicks... eg. Trash, Flesh, Flesh for Frankenstein, Blood for Dracula...
    Clockwork Orange
    Blood & Black Lace....
    etc., etc....

100% ... especially w/ Blue Sunshine and Liquid Sky! I thought about mentioning them in the same breath as Possession.

• Branded To Kill b/w Tokyo Drifter

• Valerie a t??den divu aka Valerie and Her Week of Wonders... czech flick from '71... one of the most surreal mindfucks I've been witness to.... gotta thank my bro for the rip of this...

Oh, hell yeah. Also add Daisies[/b] (aka Semidkrasky) by Vera Chytilova to that for the double-feature. Czech New Wave....

Oh, hell yeah. Also add Daisies[/b] (aka Semidkrasky) by Vera Chytilova to that for the double-feature. Czech New Wave....

Well-played. Mentioning that film somehow triggered my memory of the very bleak but psych-tinged Go, Go Second Time Virgin.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065233/

• lord234lord234 236 Posts
    and which ones feature scenes in hippie communes?

As a tangent Lukas Moodysson's recent (2000) film Together, ABOUT a hippie commune fading into the 70s, is a real charmer.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

As a tangent Lukas Moodysson's recent (2000) film Together, ABOUT a hippie commune fading into the 70s, is a real charmer.

Frankenheimer's 'SECONDS' has a great California 'love-in' type scene at a wine festival, that film also has some pretty strong psycho-psychedelic imagery for it's day.

Oh, and for films to watch while stoned or otherwise altered, George Greenough's innovative surf film 'Crystal Voyager' has like a 20 minute sequence at the end that is pretty much just filmed from inside the tube of a wave, and it's set to original Pink Floyd music. Pretty mindblowing stuff. Plus, Greenough puts most hippies then and now to complete shame, in terms of complete self-sufficiency. He builds his own boats, farms his own food,etc. I think he still lives alone out in some of the tougher-to-find areas in Australia, until he needs to leave to work periodically. Crazy genius.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    Opps, didn't even notice the El Topo/Holy Mountain post someone made already.

I was thinking though.

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me could possibly be considered psychedelic, even the TV series at times.

Frankenheimer's 'SECONDS' has a great California 'love-in' type scene at a wine festival, that film also has some pretty strong psycho-psychedelic imagery for it's day.

YES!!!

And it for some reason makes me think of Lumet's Pawnbroker, which gets a little psych filmically, if not musically.

What about Hal Ashby's Landlord!?!

That, Stanley Donen's Bedazzled, Richard Lester's How I Won the War AND Petulia, and Losey's Modesty Blaise are nice for the lighter side of pysch. As well as tv's "The Prisoner."

a real psychedelic classic!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Smurfs are commies.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

You are very pushy.

And, yet another thread where you offer nothing
    but ask for everything. Hmmm...

Oh, and on the proto-psych tip:

You are very pushy.

true, true.....

but actually i'm not the one who needs info on psych films, but a friend of mine, who has to write some kind of essay on this, you know. i want to recommend him some stuff.

i'm interested in these movies too, but don't know a lot of them, besides the most obvious ones....... so what could i offer??

Oh, and on the proto-psych tip:

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    a lot of good flims here - I would add Ganja and Hess.

• You are very pushy.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

TO THE ATTENTION OF: OBSCURE ADDICT

RE: MY DICK

Please get off of it.

Thanks,

SoulOnIce

Lukas Moodysson's recent (2000) film Together

I love this movie.

There's 'If...' too, starring a young Malcolm McDowell. I thought the switch between film stocks had some greater meaning, but really they shot out of sequence, ran out of $$ and had to switch to B&W!

Time of the Gypsies and God Told Me To as well.

I love this movie.

There's 'If...' too, starring a young Malcolm McDowell. I thought the switch between film stocks had some greater meaning, but really they shot out of sequence, ran out of $$ and had to switch to B&W!

Time of the Gypsies and God Told Me To as well.

More people need to know about Together, it's fantastic.

I think other people mentioned IF... and O Lucky Man? Or maybe in another thread. But those are top-notch as well.

As is God Told Me To... I watched it for the 60 seconds of Andy Kaufman and it turned me into a lifelong Larry Cohen fan.

Time of the Gypsies I've never seen.

I love this movie.

Agreed. Moodysson is one of my favourites, though I can't say I've been in the right mood to watch Hole in my Heart just yet. He seems to be getting darker and darker...then again I haven't seen Container yet - it sounds a little more optimistic.

I love this movie.

Agreed. Moodysson is one of my favourites, though I can't say I've been in the right mood to watch Hole in my Heart just yet. He seems to be getting darker and darker...then again I haven't seen Container yet - it sounds a little more optimistic.

I haven't had access to Hole in my Heart since I missed it at TIFF 2-3 years ago. I guess I could buy an all-region DVD of it, but I'm not sure it's one I'll want to own. I've liked everything I've seen from him, although Together towers over the other 2 (Show Me Love/Fucking Amal and Lilya-4-Ever).

I haven't had access to Hole in my Heart since I missed it at TIFF 2-3 years ago. I guess I could buy an all-region DVD of it, but I'm not sure it's one I'll want to own. I've liked everything I've seen from him, although Together towers over the other 2 (Show Me Love/Fucking Amal and Lilya-4-Ever).

I can't choose a favourite - they all left me with different feelings...Amal and Together were closer in themes, mood, etc. but Lilya, as devastating and harrowing as it is, is untouchable imo as far as directing, acting and the depiciton of sheer will and hope is concerned. I know this sounds screwy, but it is one of the best films I've seen as far as female leads/women's stories go.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Not of the psychedelic era, but definitely psychedelic...

I can't choose a favourite - they all left me with different feelings...Amal and Together were closer in themes, mood, etc. but Lilya, as devastating and harrowing as it is, is untouchable imo as far as directing, acting and the depiciton of sheer will and hope is concerned. I know this sounds screwy, but it is one of the best films I've seen as far as female leads/women's stories go.

Interesting. I don't remember it being hopeful at all!

SPOILERS

lol - I know, I mean in that she just never gave up, not until the very end but even that is up for interpretation. Through it all she kept trying to get over and was never unkind and went as far as to take care of others. AK! I'm getting all emotional thinking about it - this is what happens when you skip lunch!

Off Moodysson and somewhat psychedelic - did you see Innocence?

SPOILERS

lol - I know, I mean in that she just never gave up, not until the very end but even that is up for interpretation. Through it all she kept trying to get over and was never unkind and went as far as to take care of others. AK! I'm getting all emotional thinking about it - this is what happens when you skip lunch!

Off Moodysson and somewhat psychedelic - did you see Innocence?

It was a very unrelenting film (Lilya) so I can see hope in it as far as the human spirit never gives up. Hope, but not triumph -- because the evil fucks in the human traffic biz also never give up.

Innocence... hmm? Not the Paul Cox film? I've only seen the 3 Moodysson films we've mentioned.