VERTIGO

Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
no, not the label or the movie... the REAL schiit. i just experienced this schitt for the first time in my life this morning (spinning around in a circle as a kid doesn't count- this was different and totally unexpected). hopped out of bed real quick at about 7 am, ready to take the kids out to the track and do some early morning laps. soon as i got to my feet the whole room started swirling around and it felt like I was magnetized back down to the bed, like !!!! layed there for a few seconds, tried to sit back up and BAM, hit me down again. my wife comes in, she's concerned, takes my blood pressure, everything's pretty normal. so after just chillin' for a few minutes i'm finally able to sit up and eventually stand up. it's been almost 2 hours now and i feel almost like myself again. weird how schitt like this can hit you, because i'm in pretty good shape and have probably never felt better in my life- until this morning, anyway. Wikipedia tells me that it's probably some schitt called BPPV that caused the vertigo, which seems to be pretty common... hopefully that's the case. I guess i probably should get my azz to a doctor sometime in the near future, huh? Anybody else ever experience something like this? I tell you, it's some schitt to go through when it just hits you out of the blue

Comments

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    damn!

better go check it up Phill.

take care.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    I went through two years of varying degrees of Vertigo stemming from my ear problems.

Shit is really agravating, and frightening the first few times it happens.

My recommendations, from experience, and consulting a lot of doctors:

Try to lie down/sit in a relaxing area, take deep breaths and drink some water. Part of the problem when you get a Vertigo attack is the anxiety that comes along with it. This can help calm you down until the vertigo subsides.

Take something with meclazine. Basically, Dramamine, Bonine, etc. These are motion sickness drugs, and available over the counter and can help. Can also make you SUPER DROWSY. Just a heads up- sometimes a tough thing if trying to get through a day at work.

The next time it happens, do EVERYTHING you can to document how it started and felt. If you go to a Doctor, they will ask a million different questions to try to differentiate from types of vertigo, and find the cause. Benign Positional Vertigo (BPV, as the Docs say) is different in both cause and symptoms than other types. They'll ask, 'Was the room spinning, or were you spinning?' 'How did it start?' 'How long did it last?' etc.

Hope everything comes out ok; like I said, the first few times it happens are terrifying. If you have any questions, drop a line...

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I went through two years of varying degrees of Vertigo stemming from my ear problems.

I had some kind of ear blockage a number of years ago and one day randomly on my way to work I felt like I couldn't stand. My head spun, my balance left me, and after attempting to puke unsuccessfully a few times I realized something else was going on. I sat in my girl's car for a bit and then she took me to a doctor, who told me it was because of the ear thing.

I sometimes get very lightheaded if I haven't eaten a lot of protein but this was a whole 'nother thang like fuzzy haskins.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    If i get really tired, or am hung over, that'll cause some of that same feeling. So, dietary causes would seem o be in line with these more situational incidents.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Yeah I mean that particular incident was definitely the ear... as diagnosed by licensed professionals... but I also get a similar feeling if I'm exerting myself on a really hot day and I haven't eaten much.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Are you on any blood pressure pills or blood thinners Phil?
    I know at times they can get my head spinning when getting up & around too quick.

• Options
    Two weeks ago I was laying on the couch at night for a couple hours, and fell asleep with my feet elevated. I woke up and decided to head up to bed, but stopped in the bathroom to piss and brush my teeth first. While I'm standing there peeing I started to feel dizzy, and after a few seconds knew I was going to pass out. Right when I finished peeing (it was a long one too) I started to lose my legs, and I thought of a friend of mine who fainted in his bathroom the week before and smashed his face on the floor. I was able to grab the sink and get my ass down to the tub edge, and the next thing I knew I woke up with my head on the toilet seat and my hand marinating in the pisswater.

I don't think it was vertigo, I think it was a bloodrush thing maybe. I have low blood pressure to begin with. I woke up and got my hand out and washed it for a minute, then felt funny again and decided to try and get upstairs to bed. Couldn't even do that, sat right down on the first step and had GUSHING cold sweats and head rushes for the next 15 minutes or so. Finally it settled down, I drank some water toweled off and went to bed like nothing happened. It's not really relevant to your story Phill because I know I ony fainted, just figured I'd share the fact that my hand was in my own piss for a minute.

Wasn't there a baseball player whose career ended because of vertigo, and if I recall it just started out of nowhere? (Just googled it, it was Nick Esasky).

Get checked out my man.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Are you on any blood pressure pills or blood thinners Phil?
    I know at times they can get my head spinning when getting up & around too quick.

yeah, actually I am on blood pressure medicine... Benicar to be exact. this is all very interesting... i've had some slight dizziness before when getting up too fast, but never anything like this morning where I dropped back down like a bag of bricks with a QUICKNESS. i'm kinda thinking i might have some type of ear blockage... it's been a minute since i've had my ears irrigated properly, so i wouldn't be surprised. but i guess my doc can let me know for sure what's going on. if I stay cool and don't have any other problems I'll wait until monday and hit him up... if the schitt persists i guess i'll be heading to the ER when wifey gets back home. thanks for the input everybody

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    good luck phillyphill. hopefully its easily remedied with a qtip or something

te first thing i thought of was fear of heights. ive been working on scaffolding...not too high,just two stories up. i do it, but my body starts sweating hard when im up there...it no like. kinda weird, cause im mentally allright with it, on some "ok,just go up and get it done"...but my body gets the heebee jeebees from being up on ladders,scaffolding in the open air.

It's not really relevant to your story Phill because I know I ony fainted, just figured I'd share the fact that my hand was in my own piss for a minute.

Sween, you got the best stories my man!

back in my drinking days (a loooooong time ago) i did pass out in the midst of taking a piss over my boy's brother's crib. i mean, i fell out COLD. musta smashed my head up against the wall or tub, but i felt no pain- just woke up layed out on the floor holding my johnson and i guess smelling a little bit like urine. the true definition of pissy drunk! lucky i didn't sustain any head injuries from that fall... but then again, maybe the damage is just now beginning to manifest itself

good luck phillyphill. hopefully its easily remedied with a qtip or something

oh, no... q-tips should NEVER be stuck all up into one's ear canal. you can do real damage with those things. if i have a blockage that's serious enough I'm probably gonna have to let my doctor take care of that.
    blockages are usually caused from washing your ears too agressively... you try to do a good job and dig all in your ears with the washcloth, but really you end up pushing the wax deeper in. best way to clean out your ears is to use a syringe with warm water or peroxide, or even just regularly putting your ear right under the stream of water coming out of your showerhead and rinsing it out real good.

thanks for the well wishes, dude... back of my head feels a little funny but i'm sitting upright and coherent as of right now, so hopefully everything's gonna be cool.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

The sista is the OG Vertigo from The Fantastic Four comic.

Then they gave the name to the woman from the Marauders/Savage Land Mutates.....

Vertigo II

• lord234lord234 236 Posts
    yo phill,

maybe that's just a sign from god that you should continue the world of beats.02 blog???

let's hope so...........

yo phill,

maybe that's just a sign from god that you should continue the world of beats.02 blog???

let's hope so...........

i got the message from the big dude and I have heeded the warning... SO IT IS WRITTEN, SO IT SHALL BE DONE

btw, went to the ER today... diagnosed with the benign vertigo, no real cause, got some meds and told it will run it's course. no driving until cleared by a doctor other than that, i am FINE

good news like a 5th Dimension drumbreak