Digital VIDEO Cameras

phono13phono13 842 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
Similar to Holmes's post on Digital still cameras, I'm looking for a MiniDV joint. Prices are pretty decent now a days, 300-500 bucks. I'd love the fancy, indie top of the line type, but they're too big and not in the budget.Does anyone have one? What features are important/do you use the most? I like the Sony's with the Carl Zeiss lens, but I'm hesitant with going with the Sony-only memory stick technology. It would be nice if it could take decent still photos too.

Comments

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    theyve started to make 3ccd 5megapixel minidv cameras that are quite compact. of course, the price tag is around the $1300 range, but youre basically getting a quality digital still camera coupled with a high end 3 chip digital camcorder.

ive used both sony and canon consumer grade mini dv cameras. theyre both good but i lean towards the canons because optics is basically all canon does, whereas sony got their hands in all kinds of shit from video games to tv's and shit. plus i like the canon optics. even better than nikon optics. i know sony uses the carl zeiss lenses which are always quality as well, so i guess i really didnt clear anything up for you.

my opinion: go for the canon consumer grade products.

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    Thanks Shig. What kind of megapix rating should I expect in a low to mid consumer grade miniDV?

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    well, im not to up on my digital stuff but id say a 3 megapixel camera will give you decent photos. that whole ccd chip thing isnt as important, in my opinion. ie, you dont need a 3chip camera unless youre doing hi end taping for broadcast or some shit.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    panasonic is taking over!! they got the 3ccd cams on lock!

circuit city got the best prices if you're picking up, or online at infinitiphoto.com for online purchase/price.

panasonic 3ccd with wide screen for 649.00

or,

panasonic 3ccd without wide screen for 539.00

I just did a bunch of research, and ended up with the gs150.