technics headshell question (microwave problem)

keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
I think the connection is ruined on one of my headshells, is that possible? I've been getting, what looks like, circles that are lying flat in my s.erato screen and that causes the sound to distort tremendously. Cleaning the headshell with alcohol and q-tips has not worked. Its not the turntable connection, because I've had the same problem on multiple tts. My only other thought is that there could be something wrong with the shure cartridge.What sounds more likely?

Comments

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    switch the sylus out from a headshell/cartridge that works with s.erato to the one you're having problems with. If it fixes it, you need a new stylus. If not, get a new cartridge. I've never seen the Technics headshells actually malfunction, as long as the connections are clean, it should be good.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    its not the stylus. i'm not suggesting that the headshell is malfunctioning, just that the connectors aren't doing there job anymore. does that make sense? i tried cleaning it with alcohol, but no luck.

i've never had a cartridge go bad. the connections look fine, so i'd be surprised if that was the answer.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    unless those four prongs on the back of the headshell are visually corroded, it should be giving you no problems if it's clean. Inside the tonearm- is one of the sprung connectors in the back partially stuck?

I've had one cartridge screw up on me, but it is rare.

Do you have a continuity tester? You should be getting nearly no resistance at any of your connections back to the RCA outputs and grounds. Those tools are really helpful in isolating problems like the one you are describing. If you're getting tons of resistance somewhere, there's an issue...
    good luck!