CRACK

thesolelifethesolelife 369 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
I was reading the thread on coke and pills and how extremely dangerous it is. This got me thinking about crack cocaine and how it affected cities such as Miami and NYC. Does anyone on The Strut, if you chose to share, have any experience(s) or saw their city fall because of it?My intentions is of a curious nature, that's all.

Comments

• Not that I would know from personal experience or anything. But, the main effect / feeling from smoking crack is wanting to smoke more crack. Evil genius.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I was reading the thread on coke and pills and how extremely dangerous it is.

This got me thinking about crack cocaine and how it affected cities such as Miami and NYC. Does anyone on The Strut, if you chose to share, have any experience(s) or saw their city fall because of it?

My intentions is of a curious nature, that's all.

I don't know who's going to want to really regale you with tails of crack destruction but you should check out "Cocaine Cowboys" if you're interested in Miami's tales of coke-dom.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

This got me thinking about crack cocaine and how it affected cities such as Miami and NYC. Does anyone on The Strut, if you chose to share, have any experience(s) or saw their city fall because of it?

I don't know who's going to want to really regale you with tails of crack destruction but you should check out "Cocaine Cowboys" if you're interested in Miami's tales of coke-dom.

I love when dudes that don't know how to use Google instead turn to SoulStrut.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

I love when dudes that don't know how to use Google instead turn to SoulStrut.

Apparently, he thinks Strutters are mad familiar with Authentic Crack Experiences.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Strutters are mad familiar with Authentic Crack Experiences.

I had a neighbor for a while with a 10 year old kid named Bobby Jean, Bobby Jeans mama smoked crack and had no real sense of what the fuck she was doing for her kid. On occasion she would walk in the front door of another friend of mines house (this house was a pretty much the casual hang out spot) and spit out some random thing she'd done or Bobby Jean did. It wasn't uncommon to have her barge in a la Kramer and and say "My Bobby Jean ate a whole meatloaf by himself (the kid must've weighed 200 lbs at the time).

One day she came in the door way and proudly announced "MY BOBBY JEAN MADE A CRACKPIPE OUT OF A CHICKEN BONE"

I wonder where Bobby is today?

• Strutters are mad familiar with Authentic Crack Experiences.

I had a neighbor for a while with a 10 year old kind named bobby Jean, Bobby Jeans mama smoked crack and had no real sense of what the fuck she was doing for her kid. On occasion she would walk in the front door of another friend of mines house (this house was a pretty much the casual hang out house) and spit out some random thing she'd done or bobby Jean did. It wasn't uncommon to have her barge in a la Kramer and and say "My Bobby Jean ate a whole meatloaf by himself (the kid must've weight 200 lbs at the time).

On day she came in the door way and proudly announced "MY BOBBY JEAN MADE A CRACKPIPE OUT OF A CHICKEN BONE"

I wonder where Bobby is today?

Thanks for sharing. I knew this cat who had 250,000 and spent it in three months on dope. And this dude came from money. The drug thang is some powerful shit.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

The residual effects of Crack still linger. The Local Black Exp value system was devastated.
    16 year olds in brand new Maximas. Shit was real foul. The "easy" way out/quick fix/short cut ideal really
    eclipsed the Old School hard work ethic. Cats are still reeling from what that era did.

The residual effects of Crack still linger. The Local Black Exp value system was devastated.
    16 year olds in brand new Maximas. Shit was real foul. The "easy" way out/quick fix/short cut ideal really
    eclipsed the Old School hard work ethic. Cats are still reeling from what that era did.

No doubt. A lot of the property changing hands in Harlem can be traced to the crack epidemic; brownstones that had been in Black families for generations were lost to the city when addiction prevented the youngest generation from keeping up with the property taxes, and they have now found their way into the hands of gentrifiers via the city lottery.

Not judging anybody--I've been one of the beneficiaries of this phenomenon myself--but just noting.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    CRYSTAL METH IN HAWAII AIN'T NO JOKE
    SHITS WHY I'M UP AT 5:30 IN THE MORNING

sike going to sleep right now

No doubt. A lot of the property changing hands in Harlem can be traced to the crack epidemic; brownstones that had been in Black families for generations were lost to the city when addiction prevented the youngest generation from keeping up with the property taxes, and they have now found their way into the hands of gentrifiers via the city lottery.
    Not judging anybody--I've been one of the beneficiaries of this phenomenon myself--but just noting.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Apparently, he thinks Strutters are mad familiar with Authentic Crack Experiences.

Oliver, 4 Life should not be a position to be so proud of.

I would expect much more from someone with an interest in rap who lived in downtown Oakland for so long.

Personally, I've got many friends who smoke crack and many other friends who have or are currently doing time for selling crack.

And something I can add about Austin is that shit was bad enough pre-Katrina, but now you go to some spots downtown where on one block (incidentally just across the street from the police station) you wouldn't believe the brutally astounding amount of crack traffic coming through there and then on the next block there are a couple homeless shelters and damned if there aren't always a hundred fiends congregated on the sidewalk there looking just like Night of the Living Dead.

My wife just started doing a monthly outreach program for such folks, way too many from New Orleans, and for the first go-around (bless her heart) she did manicures.

Shit is still very much seriously out of control. And if only that downtown area was the worst of it. East Austin, especially in the 0-2 section where 3 weeks ago a cop shot a dude in the back over nothing and 2 weeks ago another dude was beaten to death by a crowd for his buddy hitting a little girl with his car, needs a thorough intervention of some sort (if you can think of an effective one, please let us know). Dove Springs down south and Rutland up north are also notorious crack havens.

Flat out depressing...

Wow--classic Shied. Oliver jokes that SoulStrut might not be the best place to collect firsthand anecdotes on the crack epidemic and you're tripping over yourself to announce:

Personally, I've got many friends who smoke crack and many other friends who have or are currently doing time for selling crack.

Wow--classic Shied. Oliver jokes that SoulStrut might not be the best place to collect firsthand anecdotes on the crack epidemic and you're tripping over yourself to announce:

You have to be the biggest tool known to man.

Enough people on this board, including yourself, front like they're in tune with gritty shit that after yesterday's conversation about coke and pills I don't think it's a stretch for someome to think that a crack conversation could also be in order.

Yes, some of us do deal with this crap first hand and if you think it's bragging to speak on it then you're simply projecting.

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts

Crack was like a goldrush for guys my age in the early 90's. Double up was a real thing and many friends of mine got caught up in that bullshit. Not to mention how many families were destroyed by it. Its crazy that so many rappers are riding the "crack" bandwagon because their is no way in hell the money is anything like it was 15 years ago for the local level dealers. Most crack dealers I see these days look hella bummy out there.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    apparently chicago is seeing an uptick in heroin use/sales

I remember in Frisco many dealers preferred selling heroin to crack 1. because the penalties are less harsh and 2. because they'd wind up selling to more suburban kids off of the BART trains than their own neighbors.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

I hear that. Both of my friends who've died in the last few years due to drugs were from heroin ODs. Maybe I'm just disconnected from the local crack experience though.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    I lived in Miami when I was really young. I'd say around 10 or 11 & from what I could remember were crazy. The 80's was the high point for coke/crack & man!!! it brought havoc to Miami!! I don't like comparing a movie to what real life is about. But the movie "ScarFace" is more fact than fiction. People getting shot in the middle of the street, crackhouses raided every couple of days. The false epidemic pertaining to crack babies, drug raides on Miami beach....shit watching your closes friends family live with addiction. Sad times.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    In college, I had a friend named Becky (seriously) who had a friend named Mary who was very proto-hipster and, to put it bluntly, crazy annoying. Once, while we were telling stupid weed stories of the, "...and then I spilled the bong on the pillow! Ha ha ha! Isn't that silly?" variety, Mary decided to significantly up the ante.

She started off her story with, "So I had just bought this nice bag of crack, right?" My friends and I exchanged glances like, "Is she seriously about to tell a story about smoking rocks? The fuck?" Mary just plowed through her story, which, in a nutshell, was that as she was loading up her pipe, she dropped her crack in her cat's litter box and ended up smoking several pieces of kitty litter before finally fishing out her rocks and smoking them. Wow, sign me up for that!

I ended up not being friends with Becky anymore not too long after that. She just liked drugs, way, way too much (she would take roofies on the regular and developed quite the coke habit) and seemed to have a strong desire to be able to match Mary's drug stories.

I knew another girl who had smoked crack for about a year and was cleaning up. I saw her have a crack flashback once--I didn't even know such a thing existed until all of a sudden, she wasn't experiencing reality with the rest of us but was instead re-living an episode from her crack-smoking days. It was pretty scary and weird.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    I lived in Miami when I was really young. I'd say around 10 or 11 & from what I could remember were crazy. The 80's was the high point for coke/crack & man!!! it brought havoc to Miami!! I don't like comparing a movie to what real life is about. But the movie "ScarFace" is more fact than fiction. People getting shot in the middle of the street, crackhouses raided every couple of days. The false epidemic pertaining to crack babies, drug raides on Miami beach....shit watching your closes friends family live with addiction. Sad times.

that movie "cocaine cowboys" that was already mentioned is pretty much a documentary version of scarface. all about coke in miami, with lots of interviews of people who were right in the middle of it. definitely worth watching.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

that movie "cocaine cowboys" that was already mentioned is pretty much a documentary version of scarface. all about coke in miami, with lots of interviews of people who were right in the middle of it. definitely worth watching.

The story those guys tell is pretty fucking nuts.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

I just saw this last week. That Godmother Griselda woman scared the shit out of me.

Did anyone catch the DVD extra with her prison pen pal/ ex-boyfriend

• No doubt. A lot of the property changing hands in Harlem can be traced to the crack epidemic; brownstones that had been in Black families for generations were lost to the city when addiction prevented the youngest generation from keeping up with the property taxes, and they have now found their way into the hands of gentrifiers via the city lottery.

Thanks. Sooner or later, I knew something intelligent was gonna come from your mouth. That's what I was looking for.

Again, thanks to all for sharing....

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

I just saw this last week. That Godmother Griselda woman scared the shit out of me.

Did anyone catch the DVD extra with her prison pen pal/ ex-boyfriend

YES! That shit was CRAZY.

• DIGGADIGGADIGGADIGGA 456 Posts
    newark is still dealing with this shit and the gang problem on top of that...who wouldve thought New Jersey would have a gang problem!!

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

i don't even know where to begin

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

I would expect much more from someone with an interest in rap who lived in downtown Oakland for so long.

And something I can add about Austin is that shit was bad enough pre-Katrina, but now you go to some spots downtown where on one block (incidentally just across the street from the police station) you wouldn't believe the brutally astounding amount of crack traffic coming through there and then on the next block there are a couple homeless shelters and damned if there aren't always a hundred fiends congregated on the sidewalk there looking just like Night of the Living Dead.

My wife just started doing a monthly outreach program for such folks, way too many from New Orleans, and for the first go-around (bless her heart) she did manicures.

Shit is still very much seriously out of control. And if only that downtown area was the worst of it. East Austin, especially in the 0-2 section where 3 weeks ago a cop shot a dude in the back over nothing and 2 weeks ago another dude was beaten to death by a crowd for his buddy hitting a little girl with his car, needs a thorough intervention of some sort (if you can think of an effective one, please let us know). Dove Springs down south and Rutland up north are also notorious crack havens.

Flat out depressing...

Thanks for sharing that dude. Very real.

newark is still dealing with this shit and the gang problem on top of that...who wouldve thought New Jersey would have a gang problem!!

My people are in Jersey City and they say shit is bananas.

• HL_MackenHL_Macken 18 Posts
    I slanged a little way back, never took it. People who take that shit are disgusting.

I slanged a little way back, never took it. People who take that shit are disgusting.

BAN.

U sound like a Phillip Morris executive.