Little Children - have you seen this movie?

BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
Did you find it disturbing at all?I did, by the fact that Kelly from Bad News Bears was playing the now released child molester, all could I think of was this dude ridin' a dirt bike around the ballfield, all my images of childhood are ruined from this dudes evil and grotesque appearance in this film.

Comments

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Much of the film was spent humanizing the molester from his abstract representation on flyers at the beginning of the film. He was indeed a sicko. It would have been a cop-out to have him miraculously redeemed. It was an uncomfortable film to watch, but that was the point. It was more substantive to me than other films that tackled the same premise. In retrospect, tho I am burnt on suburban drama, it was pretty successful.

What bugged me were the VOICE OVERS.

I checked on IMDB and the voice talent who did them does mostly nature films. This fits because that's just what he sounds like. I kept thinking he would come in when kate winslet was getting boinked with "....here we see the suburban female at her most primal...." talking about them like lions on a veldt.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

I checked on IMDB and the voice talent who did them does mostly nature films. This fits because that's just what he sounds like. I kept thinking he would come in when kate winslet was getting boinked with "....here we see the suburban female at her most primal...." talking about them like lions on a veldt.

The night football league last game scene had the whole 70's voice over appeal to it, pretty original.

The love story was unoriginal, and made for a lifetime movie in some sorts. I think what made this film original and an award winner was the voice over and blunt appeal of everyday neighborhood life. I don't think I will ever watch this movie again; thats what I don't like about it.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    I didn;t care for this film much. I read the book, but this isn;'t one of those "the book's always better" situations. In both the book and the film, I thought they painted a very believable portrait of suburban ennui -- especially for those characters who used to be more "plugged in" culturally and now found themselves living vacant lives at the service of their spouses and/or offspring. But in both cases I thought the character of the guy who's obsessed with the child molester was handled clumsily, and in both cases I thought the climax was too blunt (although far worse in the film).

Same author wrote Election -- a far better book, and a far better film.