Recommend me some movies.......

2»

Comments

• bass_feverbass_fever 974 Posts
    this is the best I've seen in a while:

Are you serious? I hate this movie with a passion...Nicholas Cage is my least favorite actor ever!

Perhaps you're joking. If not, you should know that the Nicholas Cage version was a remake. You are quite right in hating that version. However, the original 1973 film (the one Hugh was referring to) is excellent and well worth checking out.

Ah...yes, I was refering to the Nicholas Cage
    I wasn't aware of an OG, I'll have to check it out...On another note, I am looking forward to Apocalypto! Mayan civilization is

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    my local video shop just got blvd nites and i hadnt seen that in a long while. pretty awesome for the LA shots alone!

• pppppppp 261 Posts
    My recommendations to you are:

NAKED (mike leigh)...my favourite movie
    LA HAINE
    MAN BITES DOG
    BREATHLESS (A BOUT DE SOUFFLE)...not the remake!

I'm pretty sure you'll be dissapointed by Cannibal Holocaust like I was, unless you like to test your threshold for unnecessary gore. Having said that, I think the best and most fun gory movie is Peter Jackson's Braindead (aka Dead Alive). The lawnmower scene =

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I recommend you see Killer of Sheep if it comes to your city. It will be out on DVD in a few months I believe.

Head-On is a very good Turkish film from a few years back. Great use of music, sexy, depressing with a few Holy Shit!! moments thrown in. Don't bother if you look to films to uplift your spirits and re-affirm your faith in humanity.

It might be considered a chick flick - but All About Eve is very good and funny and melodramatic - it even made AFI's Top 100 list so you know it's gotta be good!

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Don't bother if you look to films to uplift your spirits and re-affirm your faith in humanity.

Ha! This is typically the genre I go for. To me, movies are time consuming and I really have to set aside time to watch them. That, and I don't have much patience these days....I go for the instant gratification factor of internet or t.v.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

for Head-On, Naked, and Killer of Sheep.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Keep those recommendations coming! I will hopefully get to these sometime....

• "Naked" is pretty essential viewing.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    "Naked" is pretty essential viewing.

I'd love to see this again - I haven't watched it in a good 14 years and wonder if it would have the same kind of impact on me now as it did when I was a wide eyed and angry teenager.

Also, as far as recent viewings go, would heartily recommend The Beat My Heart Skipped. Though this can in no way be classed as a film that gets straight into it or as feel good.

Also, regarding quality, gorey, alternative eighties horror comedies, as much as I love Peter Jackson's work, there's very few that can fuck with this:

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

I'd love to see this again - I haven't watched it in a good 14 years and wonder if it would have the same kind of impact on me now as it did when I was a wide eyed and angry teenager.

Not so good for that uplifting the spirits thingy.

I loved it the first time I saw it and hated it the second time. Not that this will be your experience.

It was great to go into it sight unseen and react to it fresh.
    The second time, I had opportunity to think about things more and ended up finding it loathsome. It's an odd film for Mike Leigh imo.

Now I'm struggling to come up with some uplifting films since my taste generally runs dark.

How about:

You Can Count on Me
    Nothing But a Man
    Raising Victor Vargas
    When We Were Kings

and as an alternative Mike Leigh suggestion:

High Hopes (although I don't think it's out on DVD yet)

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

I loved it the first time I saw it and hated it the second time. Not that this will be your experience.

The second time, I had opportunity to think about things more and ended up finding it loathsome. It's an odd film for Mike Leigh imo.

Ah, cheers Bassie - I feared as such and it's the main reason I've never really actively searched for it to watch again. My memories are hazy to say the least but what I do recall tends to be a lot of alienated rants and a touch of misogyny. What seems revolutionary when you're young can often seem embarrassingly trite and pointless when you're older, as the stacks of drum and bass in my bedroom can testify.

Always did wonder what led Leigh to that project as, as you say, it doesn't really seem to tally to the films he made either before or after it.

Ah, cheers Bassie - I feared as such and it's the main reason I've never really actively searched for it to watch again. My memories are hazy to say the least but what I do recall tends to be a lot of alienated rants and a touch of misogyny. What seems revolutionary when you're young can often seem embarrassingly trite and pointless when you're older, as the stacks of drum and bass in my bedroom can testify.

Always did wonder what led Leigh to that project as, as you say, it doesn't really seem to tally to the films he made either before or after it.

Recalling interviews at the time, he intended the film as an expose of misogyny and was stunned when it was perceived as a sexist tract in feminist circles. I'm not saying he pulled it off (and I also haven't seen the film since I was a teen!). But he is one of those directors who constantly has to explain that his main characters, even when they're charismatic, aren't always mouthpieces for his views.

• HUMANITY IS THE EGG
    AND THE OMELETTE.....STINKS

• pppppppp 261 Posts

Recalling interviews at the time, he intended the film as an expose of misogyny and was stunned when it was perceived as a sexist tract in feminist circles. I'm not saying he pulled it off (and I also haven't seen the film since I was a teen!). But he is one of those directors who constantly has to explain that his main characters, even when they're charismatic, aren't always mouthpieces for his views.

I don't even see how the film could be perceived as sexist - clearly, Johnny's character is painted as a disturbed and weak individual, and not someone to be celebrated. The last shot shows him running away yet again; are we to interperet this as anything else other than a final word on what the writer thinks of the character, or what he is out to show? Critique of this as sexist is just plain lazy and knee-jerk. I see Johnny's character as someone who has immersed himself in his own intellect so much that he is completely unable to relate to anyone else outside of his head - hence his aggression toward women and other such behaviour.