Label Sleve Variations

obscure_addictobscure_addict 869 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
Just when you think you've got all the information you need about certain records you find out different.I'd like to know what's up with label or sleve variations, for example these two copies i have of joe bataan... plenty of bootlegs/non usa copies and others exist, but here's what i wanna know. Both of these appear to be legit OG.Both sleves are identical expect one has a stereo sticker.. now i know other lps had the same thing like senor soul used a stereo sticker to cover up the mono sleve, did certain companies do this to save money like cheap bums??ok so the sleve with the stereo sticker has an lp with deep label groove & stereo printed on the label..however the sleve with the mono printed on front contains a label reading as mono without any noticeable groove.My question is which one is the OG TRIPLE OG! from what i know all lps with deep groove are the first pressing?? i'm almost positive no joe bataan lps had no WLP only the sleves came with a dj stamp on the back or front... neither of these have this.Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Comments

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    Both sleves are identical expect one has a stereo sticker.. now i know other lps had the same thing like senor soul used a stereo sticker to cover up the mono sleve, did certain companies do this to save money like cheap bums??

yes...of course...Impulse and a ton of other labels did this.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Obscure Addict is one of the best new posters. That is all.

• I've actually answered a few guys with some helpful information (imo) among my random useless enjoyment posts, but if anyone has the breakdown w/ history of these two perticular pressings please speak up. At least one strutter must be able to drop knowledge.

please
    Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
    some
    Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
    on this for me.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    I would make an educated guess of different pressing plants and/or plates used...but I'm kinda surprised they were still pressing mono copies in 1972.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I'm kinda surprised they were still pressing mono copies in 1972.

Now THAT has been discussed in a number of threads on here.

I can't help out with the info, but I have to say that owning
    2 copies of this album is ludicrous - you must trade or sell one
    to me immediately[/i]!

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I'm kinda surprised they were still pressing mono copies in 1972.

Now THAT has been discussed in a number of threads on here.

Its been mentioned a few times here that Fania was still pressing mono's later than most... so your mono could actually be a later pressing than the stereo

The different pressing plants idea could also be the answer though...