uncool messages in cool songs

13»

Comments

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts
    I can't stand listening to them for more than 2 songs in a row, but Submilme's "Wrong Way", which I like for the brief little stand up bass and eighth note sax breakdown, is . Brad "saves" a 12 year old hooker who is pimped by her alcoholic dad by having sex with her in a bathroom?!?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    There were top 10 songs kinda like that. Memphis and Sweet Little 16 and When I Saw Her Stand There.

Wolf, I'll always have nothing but respect for your opinions, but I gotta disagree. Chuck Berry is known by now for his perverted bent, but "Memphis," if you listen closely, is all about a guy trying to get in touch with his six-year-old daughter who he lost in a custody battle ("we were torn apart because her mom did not agree/and tore apart our happy home in Memphis, Tennessee"). He made it sound as if his daughter was his girlfriend (the fact that she is six years old is supposed to be the punchline), but then again that just proves what a powerful writer Berry is (I'll leave his own real-time love life out of this). And even in "Sweet Little Sixteen," he's narrating the tale from the outside; not once does he say in the song that he wants to get with this 16-year-old groupie, nor is he implying that the girl is after him, he's just telling the tale of what he observed happening (although, in real life...another story!).

As for "I Saw Her Standing There," sure "she was just 17," but then for all we know the narrator could be too.
    I like all those songs. Memphis is lyricaly one of Berry's best, and he was one of the best lyricists in rock and roll. The set up is he is in love with this girl, then we find out she is 6yo. It is jarring, and cleaver and I thought I would mention it.

You are right none of those contain the menacing of Good Morning Little School Girl. Just got me thinking about all those too young top 10 love songs. What about Young Girl? "Get out of my head girl, you are much too young girl". Again not evil but another one of those top 10 young love songs. Who was that? Gary Puckett and the Union Gap?

Willie John's sister has a great song on Stax I know you know, "He Hit Me And It Felt Like A Kiss". Mabel John.

Nah, the Crystals did "He Hit Me...".

Mabel John's song was "Don't Hit Me No More," and it says exactly what it means. Some guy makes a pass at Mabel, and her boyfriend bitchslaps HER instead of the guy. She does threaten to come back at him if he tries it again, though.

Trivia note: Joe Tex wrote "Don't Hit Me No More," but for some reason credited it to his then-wife.

Opps

Just got me thinking about all those too young top 10 love songs. What about Young Girl? "Get out of my head girl, you are much too young girl". Again not evil but another one of those top 10 young love songs. Who was that? Gary Puckett and the Union Gap?
    Late pass please.

An early violent blues song that I think is great is Bessie Smiths Electric Chair. Dave Bromberg and others have covered it.

I don't think this is just a good blues, but I'm adding it for those who may enjoy it or add it to their uncool message list:
    Judge you wanna hear my plea, before you open up your court
    But I don't want no sympathy, 'cause I done cut my good man's throat

I caught him with a trifling Jane, I warned him 'bout before
    I had my knife and went insane, and the rest you ought to know

Judge, judge, please mister judge, send me to the 'lectric chair
    Judge, judge, good mister judge, let me go away from here

I wanna take a journey, to the devil down below
    I done killed my man, I wanna reap just what I sow

Oh judge, judge, lordy lordy judge, send me to the 'lectric chair
    Judge, judge, hear me judge, send me to the 'lectric chair

I love him so dear, I cut him with my barlow1, I kicked him in the side
    I stood here laughing o'r him, while he wallowed around and died[/b]

Oh judge, judge, lordy judge, send me to the 'lectric chair
    Judge, judge, sweet mister judge, send me to the 'lectric chair
    Judge, judge, good kind judge, burn me 'cause I don't care

I don't want no one good mayor, to go my bail
    I don't want to spend no, ninety-nine years in jail
    So judge, judge, good kind judge, send me to the 'lectric chair

I just cut and paste these lyrics from else where. I hate all those ' the writer used to try to denote some kind of an accent.