my car was side-swipped in a hit and run....WEEE!

Deejay_OMDeejay_OM 695 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
this was a great night...err...I mean, you know (in the other way of being great). Went to a spot to support a homie djing and to promote a spot I was going to spin at. I'm in there, literally, 2 1/2 hours and come out to see that my car has been totally side-swipped and it's a hit and run situation....although...(here's where it gets interesting )my friend points out that the Cor-O-Van (a rental company that will move you) parked in front of me (about 1 1/2-2 car lengths ahead of me) is not actually parked...but, instead has hit a fire hydrant (not one of those small ones...the BIG ones), then proceeded to slam into the telephone pole...which stopped it's progress and it looks like the dude (or chick...no witnesses)...just bailed and ran, or limped outta there. There is no way the Cor-O-Van would work...no way...now, it's OBVIOUS as fuck to EVERYONE that comes by and sees this shit...that's it's the Cor-O-Van who has side-swipped me, and then the car obviously was beyond driving and they bailed (hit and run...but car remains). The cops show up...well, wait...I'm getting ahead of myself...and missing the best part...keep in mind...I live in San Francisco (liberal is our middle name...and first...and last...it's kind of annoying sometimes, even to a hippy like me! )....so, my friend goes to look at the van...and guess what! there is a DUDE PASSED OUT in the passenger seat...my boy knocks on the window...wakes him up...he slurs something (obviously wasted) about how it's not his "abandoned" and passes back out...I'm like fuck this...call the cops...right, and I wait a loooonnnnngggg time for them to show up (even though, potentially the dude who did this...maybe passed out in the van!)...FINALLY the cops show up...and they come look at the dude etc...wake him up...turns out...he's a homeless dude...who happened to be walking by...saw the van abandoned and gets in to sleep! in the matter of not even 2 1/2 hours time...cuz, we were outside only about an hour and half or so beforehand (and I had dropped off a t-shirt my homeboy gave me to promote a clothing line only like an hour before that!)....here's the crazy shit...they let dude go...don't even get his name, id...NOTHING! later bro....then they proceed to tell me they can't say it was the Cor-O-Van's fault...cuz, there were no witnesses...here's the best part...the Seargant shows up...and tells me "Yeah...I'm almost positive this Cor-O-Van was the car that side-swipped you...however, I can't put that in the report"...WTF?!?! the damage...oh, well, my front tires point pidgeon toed...undriveable, damage all along the side....side-mirror totally janked....so, lucky me...Deejay OM gets to dj for repairing my own car! WEEE! Good thing I have insurance....and it's only a deductible (which still costs a lot of fucking money anyways!)...well, just thought I'd share the fun I've been having...haha...I'm sure there must be some great crash stories out there...I do have another hit and run story...but, there is no homeless passed out type steeze involved...although, still interesting...

Comments

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    that sucks. It's so frustrating when cops do things like that and will agree with you, but can't help you.

I have a crash story that happened yesterday. My friend was giving me a ride home and we are about to turn left. We are sitting and waiting for the oncoming traffic to pass so we can make the left. Out of the corner of my eye I see this kid flying down the hill on a skateboard, going against the red light. He goes right through the intersection without even hesitating. I was like "oh shit that guy is going right against the red." He makes a slight turn (he might have been avoiding a car, still have no idea) and as he's turning an oncoming car is coming right for him. This car had the green light and had no way of seeing the kid because the kid just flew down the hill. So, the skater makes this slight turn and I am looking at his face and me and my friend are thinking "what the fuck." The kids face is blank, no idea a car is about to hit him. He hits the front corner of the car and it just launches him right into the windshield. This all happens about 5 feet from us. The windshield is completely blown out and the kid is dropped on the pavement when the car stops. The skater hit his head pretty hard when the car stopped and he hit the ground.

The scary part was that he was totally stunned and then he started making these terrible groaning noises while holding his head. A whole bunch of people stopped and everyone agreed that the driver was not at fault. it was so bizarre. The people in the car got out and it was a couple with a 2 week old baby. The baby slept through the whole thing. I talked to the woman and she said she had just gotten the car too. It was some crazy shit. It was straight out of the movies. He got pinched on the corner of the car and launched right into the windshield.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    wow. sorry to hear about that.

did you take pictures of everything? im sure you insurance company doesnt want to have to pay so if they find that the cor-o-van was the culprit maybe they can go after them instead.

thats some shit though, maybe google satellite maps has it or one of those random traffic cameras caught it?

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    this was a great night...err...I mean, you know (in the other way of being great). Went to a spot to support a homie djing and to promote a spot I was going to spin at. I'm in there, literally, 2 1/2 hours and come out to see that my car has been totally side-swipped and it's a hit and run situation....although...(here's where it gets interesting )

my friend points out that the Cor-O-Van (a rental company that will move you) parked in front of me (about 1 1/2-2 car lengths ahead of me) is not actually parked...but, instead has hit a fire hydrant (not one of those small ones...the BIG ones), then proceeded to slam into the telephone pole...which stopped it's progress and it looks like the dude (or chick...no witnesses)...just bailed and ran, or limped outta there. There is no way the Cor-O-Van would work...no way...

now, it's OBVIOUS as fuck to EVERYONE that comes by and sees this shit...that's it's the Cor-O-Van who has side-swipped me, and then the car obviously was beyond driving and they bailed (hit and run...but car remains). The cops show up...well, wait...I'm getting ahead of myself...and missing the best part...

keep in mind...I live in San Francisco (liberal is our middle name...and first...and last...it's kind of annoying sometimes, even to a hippy like me! )....so, my friend goes to look at the van...and guess what! there is a DUDE PASSED OUT in the passenger seat...my boy knocks on the window...wakes him up...he slurs something (obviously wasted) about how it's not his "abandoned" and passes back out...I'm like fuck this...call the cops...right, and I wait a loooonnnnngggg time for them to show up (even though, potentially the dude who did this...maybe passed out in the van!)...

FINALLY the cops show up...and they come look at the dude etc...wake him up...turns out...he's a homeless dude...who happened to be walking by...saw the van abandoned and gets in to sleep! in the matter of not even 2 1/2 hours time...cuz, we were outside only about an hour and half or so beforehand (and I had dropped off a t-shirt my homeboy gave me to promote a clothing line only like an hour before that!)....

here's the crazy shit...they let dude go...don't even get his name, id...NOTHING! later bro....then they proceed to tell me they can't say it was the Cor-O-Van's fault...cuz, there were no witnesses...here's the best part...

the Seargant shows up...and tells me "Yeah...I'm almost positive this Cor-O-Van was the car that side-swipped you...however, I can't put that in the report"...WTF?!?! the damage...oh, well, my front tires point pidgeon toed...undriveable, damage all along the side....side-mirror totally janked....

so, lucky me...Deejay OM gets to dj for repairing my own car! WEEE! Good thing I have insurance....and it's only a deductible (which still costs a lot of fucking money anyways!)...

well, just thought I'd share the fun I've been having...haha...I'm sure there must be some great crash stories out there...I do have another hit and run story...but, there is no homeless passed out type steeze involved...although, still interesting...

Sorry to hear about your troubles.
    I have two relevant tales relating to this:

My Girlfriend was out of town for a week and in that time her car was parked on the street and run into/side-swpied, totalled by two different cars/drivers in two different separate incidents. It was kind of a 'beater car (ford pony, i think) and she didnt have full coverage, but luckily, the police were involved in both accidents so the other drivers insurance had to pay for her damages (no hit and run), so she ended up getting paid twice what the car was worth (totaled in both incidents)because neither insurance company knew about the other accident.

There was also a guy in my town that was very drunk and was driving down a one way street and sideswpied every car for two + blocks. In the end, they say he hit 25 cars before pasing out (luckily, nobody was hurt).

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts

There was also a guy in my town that was very drunk and was driving down a one way street and sideswpied every car for two + blocks. In the end, they say he hit 25 cars before pasing out (luckily, nobody was hurt).

This sounds familiar. A few years ago I was sitting in the passenger seat, while my friend was at the wheel. And we were driving down a narrow street late at night that is lined with cars. At one point he looks over to me, shrugs, and tells me that he is 'bored'. The next few minutes were fucking mayhem. He started sideswiping cars, left and right, ramming into them, pushing them on their side, etc. We (the passengers) were going apeshit, trying to get him to stop. After it was over, I looked at my lap and it is covered in glass and car parts, not from his car, but from all the ones he hit.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts

This sounds familiar. A few years ago I was sitting in the passenger seat, while my friend was at the wheel. And we were driving down a narrow street late at night that is lined with cars. At one point he looks over to me, shrugs, and tells me that he is 'bored'. The next few minutes were fucking mayhem. He started sideswiping cars, left and right, ramming into them, pushing them on their side, etc. We (the passengers) were going apeshit, trying to get him to stop. After it was over, I looked at my lap and it is covered in glass and car parts, not from his car, but from all the ones he hit.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    That blows dude. I've had bad luck in SF with parked cars too... both when they were brand new. The first time I drove my brand new Lancer up to SF and parked it, I came back to find the back side panel completely pushed in. Then the first time I drove my new Saab up to SF and parked it, I came back to find the grill completely pushed in. Both cheap fixes, but I was still pretty pissed considering it happened right after I bought both cars.

• 3RD_Man3RD_Man 213 Posts

Typical... I have a similar story...

A while back I was parking around the corner from my place in a supermarket parking lot as they have more spots then they could ever possibly hope to fill... and my garage was full of records and other misc. ish that would make it impossible to park in there... so after a few months of doing this they commence planeed renovations on the underground... and one Friday night I go to park there and notice a stationed security guard who also notices me and proceeds to run over, yelling at me arms wailing... "hey asshole, you can't fuckin park here... don't you see the signs?!!"... to which I say "Excuse me?! Who the fuck do you think you are?!!" as I'm not takin no shit like that from some rude arsehole and from there any attempt at communication resulted in a cacophony of expletives... it's also important to note that there was a street festival taking place and the store had shut down at 8:00 and here it is 9:00 and the parking lot is half full... so obviously this guy is selectively ousting people from the lot... to make a long story short, I end up parking at the adjacent parking lot and wave to guy as I leave my car in my petty attempt to spite him and go home... so of course what happens?? I wake up at the crack of dawn Saturday morning to hit some garage sales and when I get to the first spot and park up front the owner of the house begins with "Whoa, quite a nasty scrape ya got there!"... I turn around to see a massive series of dents in my passenger side door and scrapes all across that side of the car from front to back, but is absolutely untouched on the driver side (which explains why I wouldn't have noticed the damage at first as I approached my car on the drivers side)... I immediately hop in my car to head back to the parking lot to see what I can figure out and all I find is a stone tile, with my silver paint on one corner of it, which had came from a fenced area in the supermarket parking lot to be used for the renovation... at this point, I was pretty sure I could pin it on this fucker as the supermarket also has cameras covering every square inch of the lot... I even got this bitch's name from the weekend guard... so of course what happens once I call the cops and they show up 2 HOURS LATER?!?! "Well, I'm pretty sure he did it but we don't exactly have any proof... can't fingerprint a stone and I'm sure he'll deny it unless he's an idiot..." to which I say "But the stone is only accesible by someone who can get in this gated area and there's cameras everywhere that I'm sure would show him lifting it".... the cop's response?? "But anyone can buy these things from a lumber yard or home hardware.... and besides I don't think the supermarket will hand over the security tapes willingly..." WHAT THE $%#@?!?!!! It's like the guy decided it was over before he even begun... and I'm helping to pay this inept f%$ckers salary?!?!! As my uncle once told me "when ya need em ya can't get em.... when you don't need em ya can't get rid of em"...

• Deejay_OMDeejay_OM 695 Posts

Typical... I have a similar story...

A while back I was parking around the corner from my place in a supermarket parking lot as they have more spots then they could ever possibly hope to fill... and my garage was full of records and other misc. ish that would make it impossible to park in there... so after a few months of doing this they commence planeed renovations on the underground... and one Friday night I go to park there and notice a stationed security guard who also notices me and proceeds to run over, yelling at me arms wailing... "hey asshole, you can't fuckin park here... don't you see the signs?!!"... to which I say "Excuse me?! Who the fuck do you think you are?!!" as I'm not takin no shit like that from some rude arsehole and from there any attempt at communication resulted in a cacophony of expletives... it's also important to note that there was a street festival taking place and the store had shut down at 8:00 and here it is 9:00 and the parking lot is half full... so obviously this guy is selectively ousting people from the lot... to make a long story short, I end up parking at the adjacent parking lot and wave to guy as I leave my car in my petty attempt to spite him and go home... so of course what happens?? I wake up at the crack of dawn Saturday morning to hit some garage sales and when I get to the first spot and park up front the owner of the house begins with "Whoa, quite a nasty scrape ya got there!"... I turn around to see a massive series of dents in my passenger side door and scrapes all across that side of the car from front to back, but is absolutely untouched on the driver side (which explains why I wouldn't have noticed the damage at first as I approached my car on the drivers side)... I immediately hop in my car to head back to the parking lot to see what I can figure out and all I find is a stone tile, with my silver paint on one corner of it, which had came from a fenced area in the supermarket parking lot to be used for the renovation... at this point, I was pretty sure I could pin it on this fucker as the supermarket also has cameras covering every square inch of the lot... I even got this bitch's name from the weekend guard... so of course what happens once I call the cops and they show up 2 HOURS LATER?!?! "Well, I'm pretty sure he did it but we don't exactly have any proof... can't fingerprint a stone and I'm sure he'll deny it unless he's an idiot..." to which I say "But the stone is only accesible by someone who can get in this gated area and there's cameras everywhere that I'm sure would show him lifting it".... the cop's response?? "But anyone can buy these things from a lumber yard or home hardware.... and besides I don't think the supermarket will hand over the security tapes willingly..." WHAT THE $%#@?!?!!! It's like the guy decided it was over before he even begun... and I'm helping to pay this inept f%$ckers salary?!?!! As my uncle once told me "when ya need em ya can't get em.... when you don't need em ya can't get rid of em"...

that blows...might have to wait for him with a bunch of your grubbly diggin buddies...have a little talk...and it's true..they are never there when you need (and when you have em...they usually aren't very helpful )

crazy story Tommy! whoa...our friend Nate just told me a crazy story about seeing a dude on a bike get hit by a car...ouch! sounded horrid...

oh, and your gf is lucky as fuck! 2 totals...1 car...2 insurance claims...for 1 damage (technically)...equals...PAID! (did she split it with you? )