WHAT YOU READING

mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
I need some new good books in my life. Anyone read Cormac McCarthy's "The Road" yet? Is it Oprah bookclubbiscious? holleur

Comments

• Wrd!! reading is fundamental, i've just started "Makings Beats The Art of Sample Based Hip Hop" by Joseph G. Schloss, great read so far.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Pauolo Coelho, The Alchemist

Yes, late pass

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I just read a 5th grade book Thunder Cave. It's good if you like boy's adventure books for 5th graders.

Last night I started the Quaran. I think my copy is too heavy with too many commentaries for me to read in bed, so I'm looking for something else to read too.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Last night I started the Quaran. I think my copy is too heavy with too many commentaries for me to read in bed, so I'm looking for something else to read too.

I had the same issue with the copy I bought, I also was weary of the translation.

If you feel up to it, I'd love to hear a review of what you thought once you're done

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    I read sarah vowell's "take the canoli" for comic relief....

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Green Lantern - The Sinestro Corps

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Just finished this because a girl I was dating recommended it:

It's extremely layered & self-referential in an extremely smug manner that kept me from really becoming fully emotionally engaged in the story. Still, it's consistently interesting in its use of language & storytelling techniques.

But the girl dumped for some other chick.

So now I'm reading the original Gerald Walker novel of this movie:

I'm sure there's a Freudian interpretation of my making this selection.

• mr.brettmr.brett 678 Posts
    David Harvey - The New Imperialism
    Kurt Vonnegut - Slaughterhouse 5

• pppppppp 261 Posts
    I'm reading The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins, where he outlines why there "is almost certainly no such thing as god". Interesting read, especially for someone like me who always thought the concept of god was silly. Good to know I have Albert Einstein in my company.

Then it's on to Christopher Hitchens' God Is Not Great. He seems like the more entertaining, unapologetically angry version of Dawkins. He said of Jerry Falwell, after his death, that "it's a shame there's no such thing as hell from Jerry Falwell to go to." Amazing.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Just finishing this:

Quite enjoyable, really.

• ZekeZeke 221 Posts
    I finished Deleuze and Guattari's A Thousand Plateaus: Capitalism and Schizophrenia pretty recently

I just started Desert Solitaire by Ed Abbey.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    I need some new good books in my life. Anyone read Cormac McCarthy's "The Road" yet? Is it Oprah bookclubbiscious? holleur

i read that a few months back. really enjoyed his writing style. have since passed it off to three different folks all who loved it. id recommend it.

just finished reading "the kite runner" by Khaled Hosseini. a book about a boy in afghanistan whos somewhat well-off, who has to skip out due to internal govt conflict and goes to america only to have more troubles here. great book and another one id tell you to go out and get.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

just finished reading "the kite runner" by Khaled Hosseini. a book about a boy in afghanistan whos somewhat well-off, who has to skip out due to internal govt conflict and goes to america only to have more troubles here. great book and another one id tell you to go out and get.

This was a hard book to put down. I think I read it in a couple of days. I think he has another book that just came out.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Good to know I have Albert Einstein in my company.

Well...sort of. He famously said, "I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with the fates and actions of human beings." He certainly rebukes Christianity (and all the Abrahamic religions, among others), but he doesn't completely discard the notion of some sort of higher organizational power...it's just much more in the background than most religions would argue.

That said, I do want to read Dawkins' book. How is it so far?

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    i will be reading HM's Tropic books for the upteenth on my trip to CA

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Finished this a week or two back:

maybe best music history book ever, easily the most intriguing one I have read in a loooooong time. Several references in it to THIS book:

which I am just starting....so far pretty good.

Also reading this in fits:

• Deejay_OMDeejay_OM 695 Posts
    albert camus "the plague"

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts

which I am just starting....so far pretty good.

that's a great book.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

I had the same issue with the copy I bought, I also was weary of the translation.

If you feel up to it, I'd love to hear a review of what you thought once you're done

I have 2 copies I got free. freequaran.com or something like that. One is a beautiful giant hard bound copy. I will take both books to Powells and see if I can trade them for the pocket book edition.

I will definitely give soulstrut a review when I am done. Give me a year. Then I will have to think about reading A) The rest of the Old Testament beyond the Torah. B) The rest of the New Testament beyond the Gospels. C) The Book Of Morman. D) Talmud

I started C back when I was 20 but it read like a fairy tale not a serious religous text.

Maybe I should read the Talmud before I read the Quaran.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    just finished this

now I'm on this

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    "FOR"

Bill Hicks

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    The Life and Times of Howlin' Wolf and this:

talk about LOL...genius

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts

"The Road" is excellent- kind of like a Max Max post-apocalyptic wasteland, but almost MORE sparse and frightening (if you can imagine that) yet more tender and personal.

I finished Deleuze and Guattari's A Thousand Plateaus: Capitalism and Schizophrenia pretty recently

This is a favorite of mine. Haven't revisited it in a while, though.

I just finished this:

and started re-reading this:

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    albert camus "the plague"

Recently re-read this. Still love it.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

It's OK so far, taking me a long time to get through it....maybe because I'm getting to it at the end of the day? With this on the side