Oden or Durant?

Mr_DelmontMr_Delmont 279 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
We're one week away.What's the opinion in here?

Comments

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Oden continues to impress. I can't wait to see how his workout went today. I think you have to go with him as good as he looks like he could be.

• Mr_DelmontMr_Delmont 279 Posts
    I'm still in shock that Oden ran the 3/4 court sprint in 3.2 seconds. That is up there with the point guards coming out this year. Aaron Brooks ran it in 3.3?!?! Acie Law ran it in 3.3!?!?

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Dude is a monster and cuddly like a teddy bear. Check please, I'm out.

• Oden has the athleticism of Akeem Olajuwon and David Robinson so most teams would rather go for the once a decade center than the scorer that comes around every draft.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Please Portland take the man-child!

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Oden has the athleticism of Akeem Olajuwon and David Robinson so most teams would rather go for the once a decade center than the scorer that comes around every draft.

And every year, the most gifted athletes are compared to legends like that. It just ain't fair.

• Oden has the athleticism of Akeem Olajuwon and David Robinson so most teams would rather go for the once a decade center than the scorer that comes around every draft.

And every year, the most gifted athletes are compared to legends like that. It just ain't fair.

The big factor in determining greatness is consistency and work ethic. Alot of people think athleticism is everything, but

• In my humble opinion I think Durant might be the better baller in the long run but Oden is a beast..They both gonna be runnin thangs..

Oden has the athleticism of Akeem Olajuwon and David Robinson so most teams would rather go for the once a decade center than the scorer that comes around every draft.

The big factor in determining greatness is consistency and work ethic. Alot of people think athleticism is everything, but

You are off to a great start on this forum. WELCOME!

• Thanks but your avatar makes me think I need to change the channel.

Thanks but your avatar makes me think I need to change the channel.

That's understandable.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    ODEN.

Durant cant even bench 185 lbs... i mean, he's a really skilled young dude and maybe its not necessary for him to be the strongest cat on the planet but dag... he can't get 185 lbs up, not even once! i guess whoever picks him will work him son and help him get an nba body... but STILL

Oden needs to get better too, but he is a great kid who's mind is right and i definitely see him winning some rings... probably in a pretty understated way ala timmy duncan, but he is most certainly the type of dude you'd want to be the centerpiece if your team if you want to win championships

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    Oden looks 33.

• johnshadejohnshade 577 Posts

but there is not a player like durant around every draft, and the blazers already have talented big men that they could develop. i say DURANT[/b].

• ODEN.

Durant cant even bench 185 lbs... i mean, he's a really skilled young dude and maybe its not necessary for him to be the strongest cat on the planet but dag... he can't get 185 lbs up, not even once! i guess whoever picks him will work him son and help him get an nba body... but STILL

Oden needs to get better too, but he is a great kid who's mind is right and i definitely see him winning some rings... probably in a pretty understated way ala timmy duncan, but he is most certainly the type of dude you'd want to be the centerpiece if your team if you want to win championships

Yes, Durant's measurables aren't where they need to be. Still, I think he passes the eye test.

That said, you take Oden #1. But you absolutely go Durant #2.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Oden is the kind of player that comes around once every 10-15 years.

Durant will be, at best, Kevin Garnett-like....which is damn good.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    ODEN.

Hey,

Right now, I think both cats are overrated in relation to NBA play. As far as Oden goes, I think he is too offensively limited to play PF against the likes of KG, Tim D, Rasheed, Elton B., Amari S., Dirk, etc. He doesn't have a great game facing the basket and his shooting could be better. This should not be as much of a problem if he plays C. Durant is technically more sound than Oden, but as Phill said, he's too scrawny. He doesn't have the presence yet to be a good player around the basket with real NBA types. Oh yeah, and I agree with that new dude that said athleticism isn't everything. Work ethic makes the difference.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    With the proper weight training and the right development(meaning he not asked to be the first option) Durant could have a Tracy Mcgrady- type game.

I dont see Oden like anybody else in the L. He's not as fundamental as Duncan. Cant play the perimeter like KG. Is as cock strong as Dwight Howard. I think he come into his own and be better than expected but not some Shaq-like scoring threat that gets to the Finals in his first 3 years. Dude plays hellified defense which is always a plus in my book.

Ive never seen either of them play. It really depends on the systems they land in. Portland isnt really the right place for anyone this "important" right now. The culture is sour. Some these franchises are conducive to learning. The Lakers are blessed to have Kareem SLOWLY bring along Bynum.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    durant is a baller...right now. i only saw osu play a few times this year and was not impressed at all with oden. in the long run, perhaps oden will be a better player, but i would put my money on durant for r.o.y.

i was not impressed that much by oden either, until i watched him play in the last few games of the tournament - then he impressed me. still, if you haven't watched durant play, then you don't understand how explosive he is at the offensive end and how he can consistenly shoot lights out from 3 as well. wasn't he top ten in the nation in scoring and rebounding too!?! averaged more rpg than oden, that's for sure, and also shot about 20% better at the free throw line. wasn't as prone to foul trouble as oden either and played on avg about 8 more minutes/game, perhaps bc of that. and, please, oden has nothing on tim duncan, save the poor free throw shooting. they don't even play the same position

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Oden is the kind of player that comes around once every 10-15 years.

Durant will be, at best, Kevin Garnett-like....which is damn good.

I've read this post like 10 times. I wouldn't hesitate to put KG in a once every 10-whatever years kind of guy too. Not quite as versatile as a McGrady for that height...but still not just a big dude. (Granted KG has 3" on McGrady).

Anyway....when do we get to talk about the Sixers?

i was not impressed that much by oden either, until i watched him play in the last few games of the tournament - then he impressed me. still, if you haven't watched durant play, then you don't understand how explosive he is at the offensive end and how he can consistenly shoot lights out from 3 as well. wasn't he top ten in the nation in scoring and rebounding too!?! averaged more rpg than oden, that's for sure, and also shot about 20% better at the free throw line. wasn't as prone to foul trouble as oden either and played on avg about 8 more minutes/game, perhaps bc of that. and, please, oden has nothing on tim duncan, save the poor free throw shooting. they don't even play the same position

Do you expect either of them to transfer those Stats to the NBA?

Do you expect either of them to transfer those Stats to the NBA?

they certainly could - but mostly i was just trying to put some numbers out there to go along with the hype. of course, you could say that a key number for durant is 186, though, too.

Portland isnt really the right place for anyone this "important" right now. The culture is sour. Some these franchises are conducive to learning.

You either listen to Dan Patrick or you're a Celtics fan. Am I right?

Like Boston or Memphis would have been the right place for either of these guys. Portland was the only team in the lottery that is on the up swing. Portland with Oden will be a playoff team next year. There is no question about that. We were 4 games out of the 8th spot last season.....even with B-Roy injured towards the end of 06.

As far as our culture goes, do you mean in general or our basketball culture? We are a basketball town, no question. Rip City is alive and well....trust me.

For the record...Oden has said many times that he would prefer to play ball for a smaller city.

This is a kid that passed up offers from Duke, N.C. and UCLA.....to play for Ohio State.

Portland isnt really the right place for anyone this "important" right now. The culture is sour. Some these franchises are conducive to learning.

Like Boston or Memphis would have been the right place for either of these guys. Portland was the only team in the lottery that is on the up swing. Portland with Oden will be a playoff team next year. There is no question about that. We were 4 games out of the 8th spot last season.....even with B-Roy injured towards the end of 06.
    As far as our culture goes, do you mean in general or our basketball culture? We are a basketball town, no question. Rip City is alive and well....trust me.

Touched a little asshurt fan nerve huh?

Im not some sour Celtic fan who's mad at the NBA.
    Portland is just recently trying to clean the lockeroom culture from a gang of miscreants. Zack Randolph's stentch is gonna linger there for a minute. And if he's there next season, he the type of virus that young cats shouldnt be around. Dont even mention Miles.

If I had to choose between the lesser of two evils Id prefer to see Oden next to LeMarcus Aldridge.

Ainge & McHale are doo-doo executives.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    The reports out of the NBA draft camp were that Oden's fundamentals (and athleticism) had everyone's draw dropping. dude made a ridiculous amount shots in a row, etc, etc. I wasn't buying on him until the final four when I saw his heart. He had a sub-par workout here yesterday and was apologizing profusely to the coaches and assembled players. Sounds like he takes the game very seriously. I think he is going to destroy in a league without Shaq around.

The reports out of the NBA draft camp were that Oden's fundamentals (and athleticism) had everyone's draw dropping. dude made a ridiculous amount shots in a row, etc, etc. I wasn't buying on him until the final four when I saw his heart. He had a sub-par workout here yesterday and was apologizing profusely to the coaches and assembled players. Sounds like he takes the game very seriously. I think he is going to destroy in a league without Shaq around.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

Bogut?

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    The other thing that I like about the Oden situation is the Conley Sr. has hired a seasoned agent to help run the business. Things seem to have calmed since.