It's a promo sampler for Shelter Records,
    judging from the artists and logo. The ones
    with an * were not yet released. If it's a
    flexi it was probably included in a catalog
    or a magazine.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    Your avatar is making me paranoid.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    For what it's worth, Asylum Choir I & II were Leon Russell / Marc Benno collabo LPs. I like 'em.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts

Does anyone own one of these crazy "roentgenizdat" (X-Ray records)?

It??s a groove cut in an old x-ray plate. Doesn??t last long, but it??s like a beautyful combination of a picture disc and a flexi disc.

from de-bug.de (http://www.de-bug.de/blog/archives/1168.html)

During the late 1930s and early 1940s the prevalent sound recording apparatus was the wax disk cutter. As a consequence of the lack of materials in the war-time economy, some inventive sound hunters made their own experiments with new materials within their reach.
    I do not know the name of the inventor who first utilized discarded medical X-ray film as the base material for new record discs; however, the method became so widespread in Hungary that not only amateurs, but the Hungarian Radio made sound recordings on such recycled X-ray films.
    I felt that those X-ray record albums relate to our contemporary lives in many ways, especially when considering such terms as ???multimedia??? or ???recy- cling???. I copied the X-ray films with their engraved sound-grooves on photosensitive paper and made enlargements of certain details.

• gunnmgunnm 25 Posts

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    For what it's worth, Asylum Choir I & II were Leon Russell / Marc Benno collabo LPs. I like 'em.

Count me in as a fan, as well. The first Asylum Choir elpee was on Smash (later reissued on Mercury after Leon Russell hit it big and Marc Benno almost did).