George Pelecanos

oldjeezyoldjeezy 134 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

I had a mutual record collector/mystery head pushing
    his stuff on me for years - finally I broke down and
    bought "Soul Circus" - couldn't even get halfway through
    without putting it down and never picking it up again.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    KING SUCKERMAN was a decent crime read, but nothing to jump up & down about IMO. The 70s setting was fun. It's cool he works on THE WIRE.

http://www.hachettebookgroupusa.com/features/georgepelecanos/meet.html

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    he's written some great episodes of the Wire.

"Hamsterdam" anyone?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Agreed--much better as a screenwriter than as a novelist. The one novel of his I read felt like a thinly disguised script.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

I had a mutual record collector/mystery head pushing
    his stuff on me for years - finally I broke down and
    bought "Soul Circus" - couldn't even get halfway through
    without putting it down and never picking it up again.

I would start with his latest, 'The Night Gardener', which is pretty damn good. I find it especially interesting as he is known for his slavish attention to DC detail, which makes it fun if you've lived here or are familiar with the city and it's quirks. His attention to music detail is also a plus, but admittedly, that kind of stuff can become a bit cloying on occasion. But I appreciate the effort.

I am only missing 'The Sweet Forever'. Haven't read my copy of 'Soul Circus' yet.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    His attention to music detail is also a plus, but admittedly, that kind of stuff can become a bit cloying on occasion. But I appreciate the effort.

In the one novel of his that I have read (Drama City), he refers several times to one young gun-wielding thug's fondness for Obie Trice.

Most unconvincing.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    His attention to music detail is also a plus, but admittedly, that kind of stuff can become a bit cloying on occasion. But I appreciate the effort.

In the one novel of his that I have read (Drama City), he refers several times to one young gun-wielding thug's fondness for Obie Trice.

Most unconvincing.

Ahhh, you're just mad because he doesn't include characters who are rap-listening lawyers.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    ZING

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I liked "Sweet Forever" but its all i've read

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

cosign. i had read king suckerman on the strenght of his wire contributions and was completely bored. like birdman mentions, the attention to dcish details is nice, but the story was just kinda whatever to me.