SO IS RB RUNNING THE GAME RIGHT NOW?

Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
Tell me if i'm wrong but yo, is R&B back and kind of killing rap right now (in terms of radio and video)here's the list:The New Keyshia Cole joint with Missy and Lil' Kimthat kelly roland and eve jointlloyd get it shawtythat bobby valentino and timbaland jointthat fantasia trackthat ne-yo joint from a few months agobuddy by musiq still has some steamfabolous with ne-yofucking umbrella (BARF!)KELLST-PAINAKONlemme clarify:Everyone time i've turned on the radio i've either heard these song right when I get in the car or at least 5-10 minutes right after. And it seems like 106 park has way more of this type of stuff then usual. Is it because of the weather? people getting tired of rap? Am I projecting? It's something i've noticed

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Tell me if i'm wrong but yo, is R&B back and kind of killing rap right now (in terms of radio and video)

here's the list:

The New Keyshia Cole joint with Missy and Lil' Kim
    that kelly roland and eve joint
    lloyd get it shawty
    that bobby valentino and timbaland joint
    that fantasia track
    that ne-yo joint from a few months ago
    buddy by musiq still has some steam
    fabolous with ne-yo
    fucking umbrella (BARF!)
    KELLS
    T-PAIN
    AKON

Yes.

And in Harlem it is THE SOUNDTRACK TO THE SUMMER.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i like umbrella (except jay-z) but it hardly qualifies as R&B

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Oh yea, that Umbrella song! That song is crap and ghey.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    that bobby v w/ timbaland seems like it had to happen after he's been riding all these tim&bobaland tracks for so long

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

^^^^HAS CLOUDS IN HIS STONES

^^^^HAS CLOUDS IN HIS STONES

what you mean?

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts

I kinda like it? the drums are is it just me?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    what about
    //vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoID=1142260965

fabo is that dude if it wasnt clear before

• Oh yea, that Umbrella song! That song is crap and ghey.

I kinda like it? the drums are is it just me?

Nope, i like it too. Those drums + ad-lib echoing your own vocals = nice!

You know that song, "summer nights, something something ladies til the morning light", I thought that song was kinda weak, but after like a year, I started to find it acceptable. Does that mean that it "grew" on me? Fuck that. I will not try too hard to find artistic merit in pop songs.

I do however like T-pain's "buy you a drank".

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Tell me if i'm wrong but yo, is R&B back and kind of killing rap right now (in terms of radio and video)

Holy shit, I was thinking the same exact thing this morning! I listen to far more rhythm and blues than rap these days.
    R&B>>>>>rap

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    Im going to have to agree with Yuichi on this one. Not really feeling Umbrella too much, but is one of those that grows.

And I am REALLY NOT feeling this song:

Are you guys into this kind of "R&b"

This video is so unbelievable I had to post it, I didnt know who did the song till I tried to find it.

I had no idea people were mass marketing and advertising using fan videos on youtube, and for Obama none the less.....And all that BOOTY!?? WTF??
    So funny, Happy Tuesday.

Im going to have to agree with Yuichi on this one. Not really feeling Umbrella too much, but is one of those that grows.

And I am REALLY NOT feeling this song:

Are you guys into this kind of "R&b"

This video is so unbelievable I had to post it, I didnt know who did the song till I tried to find it.

I had no idea people were mass marketing and advertising using fan videos on youtube, and for Obama none the less.....And all that BOOTY!?? WTF??
    So funny, Happy Tuesday.

I like that song. Matter of fact, I sing it when i have the radio turned on.

really?

the Whineyness is out of control. I hate the hook more than anything.

• Yep, can't speak for the entire country... but if your in the tri-state and turn on HOT 97.1 or POWER 105 they're both hands down playing r&b 4 out of 5 songs. I'll def miss the days of late night radio on hot97 with stretch & the barber or even pete rock & marley marl future flavas.... the radio is nothing but some now.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Yeah in the bay KMEL has been playing all the club R&B stuff round the clock and then just throwing down good mixes of hyphy / crime mob stuff randomly. For every one local track there's like 4 r&b turds in between. They really lost their local music focus, if there ever really was one to begin with.

BTW Umbrella is garbage.

really?

the Whineyness is out of control. I hate the hook more than anything.

I thought I hated the hook, but now I like it. It's easy to sing, just the right key, and simple melody. That's really all it takes for people to start singing it.

I could see that.... how often do you karaoke?

I haven't been in awhile.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    but if your in the tri-state and turn on HOT 97.1

i gotta clear this up. there isn't one "tri-state area". it is used commonly in a lot of different states that do not include new york.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

All the og's and lil g's in my neck of the woods are simply waiting for Soulstrut to give them the word and they will never listen to rap music again, strictly r-n-b 4 life.

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    if i remember right it`s been like this for quite some time,no? waht about amerie`s one thing? one of the few real bangers,at least for me.

I could see that.... how often do you karaoke?

I haven't been in awhile.

Not very often. Used to sing J-Pop when I was a teenager. Get familiar.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    Yeah in the bay KMEL has been playing all the club R&B stuff round the clock and then just throwing down good mixes of hyphy / crime mob stuff randomly. For every one local track there's like 4 r&b turds in between. They really lost their local music focus, if there ever really was one to begin with.

BTW Umbrella is garbage.

You don't like Soul Music. And personally I'm lovin how R&B/Soul or whatever is back on the radio. Yeah of course I woudn't mind hearing something on the vibe of the first re-surgence of soul music in the late 90's/early 2000's but i'm not exactly trying be those dudes who's going to write it all off.

• CahootsCahoots 378 Posts
    -

All the og's and lil g's in my neck of the woods are simply waiting for Soulstrut to give them the word and they will never listen to rap music again, strictly r-n-b 4 life.

a lot of those dudes who you have a hard-on for all probally ride for this shit. A lot of the r&b mentioned appeals to young kids and grown folks. but yeah, you're right Omid instrumentals are what's rocking their summers.

• I listen to strictly r&b classics, but i dig a lot of neo-soul also... erykah badu type of jams, but hearing the same nonsense in rotation 1,000 times a week makes those tracks hated imo and easily unlikeable.

• Options
    Yep, can't speak for the entire country... but if your in the tri-state and turn on HOT 97.1 or POWER 105 they're both hands down playing r&b 4 out of 5 songs. I'll def miss the days of late night radio on hot97 with stretch & the barber or even pete rock & marley marl future flavas.... the radio is nothing but some now.

I agree with you, Mr. Cee at noon is the only thing on Hot 97 that I can listen to for an extended period of time and that's only an hour. The other dudes are still putting together great shows, I think I've just outgrown the music a bit.

but if your in the tri-state and turn on HOT 97.1

i gotta clear this up. there isn't one "tri-state area". it is used commonly in a lot of different states that do not include new york.

They bit us.

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    Ya'll a whiny bunch. I'm not mad at Umbrella, the drums are hard and its catchy as hell. Not mad at Sean Kingston either. Lotta good catchy r&b this summer, and its kinda fun to play out. What is everybody so mad about?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

a lot of those dudes who you have a hard-on for all probally ride for this shit. A lot of the r&b mentioned appeals to young kids and grown folks. but yeah, you're right Omid instrumentals are what's rocking their summers.

They see it for what it is...chick music.

And regardless of how popular r-n-b is as evidenced by what's getting played on the radio, r-n-b will never override the likes of Z-Ro/Trae/UGK/K-Rino from a TX rap dude's perspective.

In other words, while some of y'all i.e. poseurs give up on rap in favor of other genres...others i.e. real rap fans instead just put a larger microscope to their local scenes in search of good rap music that they have yet to discover.

That's why in my town, artists like Ryno, VIP, Gerald G, Black Mike, Southbound, Public Offenders, etc. are very much on the come-up. And I'm sure that the same thing is happening in your town as well.

Some of y'all just aren't into rap music like you pretend you are, so please go ahead and jock r-n-b all you want.

Real rap fans surely won't miss you.

They see it for what it is...chick music.

And regardless of how popular r-n-b is as evidenced by what's getting played on the radio, r-n-b will never override the likes of Z-Ro/Trae/UGK/K-Rino from a TX rap dude's perspective.

In other words, while some of y'all i.e. poseurs give up on rap in favor of other genres...others i.e. real rap fans instead just put a larger microscope to their local scenes in search of good rap music that they have yet to discover.

That's why in my town, artists like Ryno, VIP, Gerald G, Black Mike, Southbound, Public Offenders, etc. are very much on the come-up. And I'm sure that the same thing is happening in your town as well.

Some of y'all just aren't into rap music like you pretend you are, so please go ahead and jock r-n-b all you want.

Real rap fans surely won't miss you.

Another Rashied classic!

Y'ALL SOME HOES NOT LISTENING TO RAP 24/7!