Bereavement Fares

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
Does anyone have any info or tricks on how to make this happen? Any useful tips or things like that?

Comments

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I think you have to have a obituary or copy of the death certificate to get the fare, which is just half price of full fare...so you probably can get a similar fare w/o the paperwork they require just scroungin' the interweb...

• I think you have to have a obituary or copy of the death certificate to get the fare, which is just half price of full fare...so you probably can get a similar fare w/o the paperwork they require just scroungin' the interweb...

you'll be lucky to get half off, espcially on short notice.

when my girl had a death in the family, we got quotes around $1500 from SF to NY for "bereavement" pricing and online was more like $6-700 . This was one way a two days befor we flew.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    According to Chuck Pahlaniuk,

First, escape from inside a locked insane asylum. Then hitchhike cross-country and arrive about a heartbeat too late to keep a repeat child-molester from raping your wife. And your mother. Spawned out of that rape, you have to raise up a son who collects a wagonful of folks’ old, thrown-out teeth. After high school, your wacko kid got’s to run off. Join some cult that lives only by night. Wreck his car, a half a hundred times, and hook up with some kind-of, sort-of, not-really prostitute. Along the way, your kid got’s to spark a plague that’ll kill thousands of people and, lastly, your boy got’s to die in a big, flaming, fiery inferno.

- spidey

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    I think you can have the hospital or Doctor call or fax the information to the airline or give them the D.C.( often you have to be related as well) But in my experience they will only give you 15% off the normal fare so your probably better off looking online anyways.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    The one time I tried to get this "special" fare it wound up being more expensive than what I could find online for a "normal" fare.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    I takes a lengthy phone call to the airline directly, and as others have noted, it might get you a fare that is comparable to one that you could find yourself in about the same amount of time you are on hold waiting to talk to the airline. In the best case, it could save you 10-20 percent off the best available fare but you will have to justify your grief to some low-level airline employee whose job it is to only give that fare to people who really deserve it, and whose annual bonus might be linked to giving fewer discounts than his co-workers. If you get that 20 percent, and can thereby afford the fare, it might be worth it. But it might not. Justifying your grief to a stranger is really a terrible process.

I hope things are ok. Times that call for bereavement fares are never good times.

All the best,
    JRoot

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    I did this and I just had to bring a catholic death card thingy as proof.