The best rock records with jazz drummers

FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
I was listening to Full Moon and some of the Butterfield Blues Bands records that have Phillip Wilson on drums. I'm a big BAG fan and got really excited when I realized he was on these records. But...eh. Then I revisited some of the Mark Almond records with Dannie Richmond. Eh. Maybe it like getting held back a grade for these great jazz drummers to step into a rock session?On another note, is that Dannie Richmond on the cover of Don Juan's Reckless Daughter?

Comments

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    Are you experienced? with Mitch Mitchell.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    didn't Bernard Purdie have some sort of side project involving a Liverpool based rock band? the name escapes me.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    jazz drummers

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    didn't Bernard Purdie have some sort of side project involving a Liverpool based rock band? the name escapes me.

Hummingbird? This was a white rock band on the A&M label (ca. '76) that had Purdie on drums.

EDIT: oh shit, NOW I get this Beatles joke, with my late-on-the-draw ass!! But that just goes to show that Purdie has been on so many different kinds of sessions that I could think of something that came close to that description up there...although I don't recall where them other members were from...[/b]

jazz drummers

and your point is?

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

The Monkees?

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts

• rock group with a jazz drummer?? would'nt that be considered fusion??? if so i might get herb'd for sayin this.... but i'm straight rockin blood, sweat & tears on a weekday afternoon....

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    rock group with a jazz drummer?? would'nt that be considered fusion??? if so i might get herb'd for sayin this.... but i'm straight rockin blood, sweat & tears on a weekday afternoon....

as long as you don't rock that common shit on the weekend the soulstrut massive will forgive you.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    Mark-Almond records with Dannie Richmond

Does he play on the purple one? I like that song Sausalito Bay Suite.

• whatabout

CCS

cream of the Brit jazz musicians playing ROCK

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    jazz drummers

and your point is?

Never got it with Rollins

(or you don't like jazz )

youre actually right, im only a sometimey jazz fan at best.

• minneapminneap 541 Posts
    Are you experienced? with Mitch Mitchell.

jazz drummers

and your point is?

Never got it with Rollins

(or you don't like jazz )

youre actually right, im only a sometimey jazz fan at best.

that's still true, but since this thread does deal with rock, and since its' well-known that a lot of rock records have slumming jazz guys on em (especially in the fifties)...youre in MY territory now

and as far as your "jazz drummers" quote...that sentence fragment was kinda baffling

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts

I don't know, but he played on Jackie Lomax record(s), and he's from Liverpool as far as I know. Nothing I'd associate with the word 'best,' though.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Jaki liebezeit of CAN

Tony Williams Lifetime (heavy fusion)

Billy Cobham

Jon Theodore

- spidey

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts

CREAM.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    oops how'd i forget.

Bill Bruford

- spidey

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    Jaki liebezeit of CAN

Billy Cobham

Jon Theodore

- spidey
    on all these

someone likes the mars volta I notice you listed Omar on the guitar players list as well...Not everyone's cup of tea, but I love them.