How Much Would You Pay for a Break?

SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
This is a fairly disingenuous question, since Idon't use drum breaks (although I do like them)but I wanted an excuse to post this funny eBay item:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220121134712... and it got me thinking, of course nobody would paythat much just for a drum break, but I wonderedhow much you break collector/beatmaker dudes would bewilling to pay, just to have a break - and what's the mostyou have paid? Imagine the final eBay value if themythical raer mardi gras sans bells 12" were to be auctioned ...

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I would pay enough money for a break if it were that good, and I could actually do something with it to make it worth my while financially. I mean, it it were THAT BREAK then I for sure would come up off the loot. This Russian break is surely not THAT BREAK. I would maybe pay $1.50 for it.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Most of the breaks I've heard that I really dig happen to be on records that are dope to begin with. Even on real oddball records, like that Dennis the Fox break. For me it's the quality of the record as a whole first, and the break second. Obscurity comes into effect to some degree, but IMO there are a lot of "open drums" that people try to pass off as breaks. Maybe the real test of how much people pay would be looking at library records.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    $8,499.99 and not a penny more.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    $8,499.99 and not a penny more.

NO RUSSIAN RAER DRUMZ FOR YOU, CHEAPSKATE

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

SHEEP, check it out!

• To me no Record is worth over $25.00. However if it was like 1993 AND I was a Dj or a Producer I'd say up to 200.00 because I could just loop it for somebody and recoup. Now, If you really need that sound, just get the MP3 and Hop the Kit and Bass and recreate it.

Why? Why not worth more than 25 USD? Maybe it's a rare record. Like a rare book or a painting. I would understand if you said 'no break is worth more than 25 USD', but 'no record'??? Are you ALF?

• I'm constantly spending loot on drum breaks and after listening to the sound clip of this Russian record I'm convinced its $8,500.00 worth of wackness. Its sounds more like a $2 budget bin record.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I wouldn't pay fifty cents for that record.

• Rich45sRich45s 327 Posts
    Melodiya was the state owned label, I very much doubt they would have only done a 1000 of these, although listening to it thats about 999 to many.

If anyone does want this though they can get it for the slightly more reasonable $569 through their websites. Two vcopies to.

I suspect the quality of the Baltic women have attuned their eyes to such an impressive degree it has had a negative effect on their other senses, like Daredevil in reverse.

• I have a fat stack of sick records from the russian federation, none of which cost more than $2.00 each from a connect i've got.... the most i'd be willing to spend on any single record is about $500/$600 but it can't be a one tracker with one break i dont care about breaks, i'd rather a cheap $40 copy of headwest if it's something that may never get reissued and i want the actual piece not mp3s i'll spend the loot.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
    only paid $2 for this, think it goes for about $150-$200 on the bay

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    The most I've paid for solely a break was 250-300; I can't remember exactly.

I can't blame this guy for trying, cause who knows, maybe you can live pretty well in Latvia for that kind of cash.

The funny thing about this record is that I've seen it as a buy it now for much lower amounts. Why all of a sudden boost your asking price by 3000%?

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    he meant to list it as 8500 rubbles

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    its a joke
    dude is on bz gas

• Mek_JaggerMek_Jagger 322 Posts
    "8500 rubbles"

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    I wouldn't pay fifty cents for that record.

• how much would you have to pay to have a real drummer record on vintage equipment or get access to solo drum tracks from a master tape? spending big $$$ on drum breaks is a fetish at the most.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts

What is it about a record with an ugly russian chick that makes it worth $200.00?? For that you could buy like 10 samples CD's with hundred of Breaks on them. I thinks that's retarded.

You can think it's retarded all you want, but if you were making that $200 off that record, you wouldn't be complaining.

• samples CD's with hundred of Breaks on them. I thinks that's retarded.

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts
    For that you could buy like 10 samples CD's with hundred of Breaks on them.

• rocco2nrrocco2nr 530 Posts
    "8500 rubbles"

will you take 5000 bambams?

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    3.25 caddyshacks

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    3.25 caddyshacks = 2.15 stripeses

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    I'd much rather pay about $400.00 to get a drummer to record about 35 takes thru some old mics and Neve Console with a little API Eq applied then 500.00 for one LP. Seriously.

I did this once - had dude playing a 60's Ludwig kit through the mics and console that were used for Soul Swingers 'Ca Ba Dab'. Turned out okay, I think I spent about $250 for the session. I have no idea where the DATs went...

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    What are you really mad about PhillyStress?
    It permeates every one of your posts.
    Please to post your beats.

• rascmonrascmon 441 Posts

What is it about a record with an ugly russian chick that makes it worth $200.00?? For that you could buy like 10 samples CD's with hundred of Breaks on them. I thinks that's retarded.

sounds like somebody is a little disconnected in the art of real headizm

3.25 caddyshacks = 2.15 stripeses

did i just get zung

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    zung

ew

ew

that's racist

i just had two coworkers come up to me from opposite sides asking me if i wanted tix to tonight's Police concert

that's ew

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts

SHEEP, check it out!

yeah, that records seriously dollar bin disco common here, but there's fucking crazy records out here in Moscow, like NUTS. I found the deadstock warehouse for the Melodiya label, now the hard thing is finding the boxes of Labrynth, etc.... ARGH!!!

bev