talk about your rare sports garbage

JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
When I was six years old, I wrote a letter to Joe Montana in the off season, telling him I hoped that the 49ers would win the next Super Bowl. (They did, but I think that had more to do with them winning everything back then rather than me being some sort of prodigy.) I got a response in this form:except mine was the 8x12 glossy b&w. When I was six, that shit was like I think I might still have it lying around somewhere, although it is probably not really in the best of shape these days-- one of my sisters, when she was about four, used a thumb tack to poke holes in his nostrils "so he could breathe."What has-been athelete junk do you have?

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

What athlete junk does yuichi have?

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    shit, i met vida blue in person at a nordstroms when i was a kid and have a few glossys signed by him, one in his oakland uniform and the other in his giants uni.

also got autographs fro nolan ryan and michael jordan. too bad they look like auto-pen jobs.

wish i was into records instead of sports cards back then.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts

you get one guess. (and no, he didn't win the "used slurpee cup of kobe bryant" off ebay, i plan on re-auctioning that to him for a large profit.)

shit, i met vida blue in person at a nordstroms when i was a kid and have a few glossys signed by him, one in his oakland uniform and the other in his giants uni.

also got autographs fro nolan ryan and michael jordan. too bad they look like auto-pen jobs.

damn! you shopped at nordstroms as a kid???
    the nolan ryan jawn is the realness.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    My pops used to kick at a bar in Buffalo that Bills players often frequented, he got me a signed 4x6 photo of Jim Kelly bout to launch one and an autographed NFL trading card of Thurmon Thomas but it was also autographed by his wife and kid I think? Weird, I know, but they were on the card with him. Anyhow, I also have some autographed trading cards of dead race car drivers (Dale Earnhardt for one, I think I have others, but I don't know much about nascar), I have an autographed Drazen Petrovic rookie card (RIP), but it was autographed in ballpoint pen which pretty much makes it worthless, or at least it did back then. All this shit just collects dust because rare as it may be, I have no idea how to find people that want ot pay for this shit. Ehh, something to pass on to the grandkids I guess...

you get one guess.

One word: gameworn

One word: gameworn
    hint: not the jersey

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    sweat sock/jock strap combo package? what do I win???

err, I guess bball players probably don't wear a j-strap. game worn sock/drawers combo package?

damn! you shopped at nordstroms as a kid???

the nolan ryan jawn is the realness.

naw my sister worked at nordstroms and i was a big baseball fan, plus the glossys were free. cant beat that.

w/ selling this type of shit, how can you possibly authenticate it? i used to write letters to my favorite baseball and basketball players and get back some bent up cards w/ chicken scratch on them. oh well.

sweat sock/jock strap combo package? what do I win???

The right to be on the receiving end of an angry keyboard screed along the lines of "You don't throw words like 'jockstrap' around, [email]f@99ot!"[/email]

angry keyboard screed
    location up for grabs
    b/w
    i think anyone laughing right now spends way too much time in the nba threads. (yes, i'm laughing)

I'm pretty sure nobody, anywhere, buys any of this stuff. I honestly don't have any idea why I've hung on to this thing for so long. It sounds like you may be asking yourself the same thing...

Maybe I'll bring it to work and hang it in my office and tell people he's my cousin or something.

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    I've got a worn pair of Clyde Drexler's Avias from the Blazer days tucked away in an Atic up in the hills.

• IronfeetIronfeet 516 Posts
    I have a raiders half cut practice jersey...

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    i have a pile of cool basketball cards (the old tall ones from the late 60s early 70s) and at one time i had some cards that i know "booked" at like $90 and such. plus some magic johnson + mike jordan rookie cards and what not. but sports cards have taken such a big shit that im sure theyre just fun to look at now.

I'm pretty sure nobody, anywhere, buys any of this stuff. I honestly don't have any idea why I've hung on to this thing for so long. It sounds like you may be asking yourself the same thing...

Maybe I'll bring it to work and hang it in my office and tell people he's my cousin or something.

at this point i'm not too concerned with getting any real value for it. id' be happy to give them away to a charity for kids in a hospital or something, anything really. i think my mom is pretty close to tossing them out.

i will say that i dont feel so bad about my old comic books though.

i also have a mini warriors basketball signed by felton spencer (when he was w/ the warriors) and andris bierdins, still trying to cop the adonal foyle autograph though.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I have a modest Seahawks memorabilia collection in addition to the usual sports card collection. That's about it.

• Signed baseball by John "Catfish" Hunter? I don't even know how I got it.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    tons of sports cards

autographed photos of former New Orleans Saints Archie Manning, Rich Mauti, and Kenny Bordelon

football cards autographed by former LSU and NFL receivers Eric Martin and Carlos Carson

a baseball autographed by baseball players Devon White, Harold Reynolds, Phil Bradley, Ivan Calderon, Alvin Davis, etc.

a bunch of old LSU football and basketball programs

programs from every Sugar Bowl from '80-'84

lots of old Saints ticket stubs, also a bunch of unused tickets from a strike year

a ticket stub from the Lakers-Celtics game I went to at the Forum in '85

a collage that I made in high school comprised of photos of Michael Jordan strictly from his college years

a high school baseball program and yearbook with Jeff Kent in it (Scott Weiland is also in that same yearbook)

Shawn Kemp, Mahmoud Abdul Rauf, Chris Webber, Aaron Brooks, and Ladanian Tomlinson jerseys

I'll stop there, but I could go on for days...

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I have an autographed basball by the entire '54 Cardinals...Stan Musial, Joe Garagiola...I need to get it appraised, I have no idea how much it is worth....

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    - autographed mets '86 world series ball (that i played catch with as a dumb kid)
    - thousands of basketball cards (michael jordan fleer '87-'88, some star company stuff)
    - sixers greats poster with autographs from dr. j, billy cunningham, barkley, cheeks (missing hal greer and wilt)
    - dozens of nba autographs from random people i ran into as a kid when my dad ran a basketball camp (very shortlived)

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    tons of baseball, basketball and football cards.

also, anthony wright is a friend of the family and he got me a football signed by jamal and ray lewis. also i have a football signed by anthony wright.

i used to have a baseball signed by eddie murray and cal ripken. i believe it went the route of the babe ruth ball in sandlot, except i have yet to recover it.

• JroamJroam 257 Posts
    Well I was an extra in the movie "ALi" and as I was heading out of the port-o-potty I ended up walking back towards the set with Muhammed Ali and family. Seriously Ali turned to me and put up his dukes then stretched out his hand and I shook it. So then his wife asks if I would help her get some coffee for them, whoa! It was cool, they hooked it up with an autograph I'm sure he didn't sign but still awesome. Like a young kid in love, I gave it to my girlfriend at the time for her birthday,bBut I still have my Kareem biography signed.

• damn, I am jealous of a lot of you for all the shit yall have. I would love to have some of the stuff mentioned in this thread..valuable or not.

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts
    I have a modest Seahawks memorabilia collection in addition to the usual sports card collection. That's about it.

I got to on the field for Seahawks training camp in 87 I think. Got pretty much everybody's autograph and caught a football off the Juggs machine! lol. There are tons of baseball cards and autographs at my mom's house somewhere as well. Mariners games used to be dope when they were terrible and nobody cared. Me and my little hommies used to hit the Crown Plaza to pester the visiting teams and Gate B at the Kingdome for the Mariners. Bleacher seats were 3.50!

• Options
    A good friend of mine is a coach for the Jets, he had Pennington hook this up for my birthday two years ago.

I also have a bunch of football and baseball cards, but I haven't looked at them in years and can't think of anything that stands out in that collection besides 20 Barry Sanders rookies.

We used to play blackjack using baseball cards as money when I was 11 or 12. We'd get into brawls over whether or not a Jody Reed rookie was worth as much as a Rob Deer. Forget about when it was Gregg Jefferies against BamBam Muelens or Kevin Maas, it was like we were gambling with our life savings at that time.

I used to have a subscription to Sports Illustrated when I was young, and saved a lot of them for a few years. I had Mike Tyson's first cover and held on to that for a long time before giving it to a friend for his birthday. I wound up giving most of them away, and regret it now because I wanted to go back last year and dig out a bunch of old sneaker ads.

Chris Webber jersey

which team?

• ToccuDomuToccuDomu 225 Posts
    I threw my name in a box somewhere when I was 6, and by luck of the draw, I won ??? the prize was attending a Twins game in 84, versus the Red Sox. I got to check out the inner-workings of the Metrodome, and meet a ton of the ???84 team. Met Jim Lemon who was working in Twins office at the time, met Gary Gaetti, Tim Laudner, Tom Brunansky, Kent Hrbek (was an asshole), etc, but the highlight was a young rookie Kirby Puckett, who came and hung out with me and pops for a long while. Said hello to Jim Rice when he was walking by. Frank Viola pitched, and we won in a squeaker something like 5-4. I got a batting-practice-used ball signed by a bunch of those guys, got a home-game uniform for the 6 year old version of me, and I had a blast. Those are the only sports memorabilia that I saved through the years.

Aftewards, I saw Puckett around town two or three times in as many years, as he was living in Brooklyn Park/Brooklyn Center, just north of my neighborhood, for a while. I talked to him a couple times, and he fronted that he remembered me. Dude was dude. RIP.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

bobby knopp was related to my old man so we got tons of classic angels shit signed by all the old heads like nolan ryan etc etc.

One time when I was about 13 years old I went to an Angels game with a couple of friends and for whatever reason after moving down into the field level section along the first base line I started heckling the hell out of first base coach Bobby Knopp. I had nothing against the guy and looking back I don't know why in the world I was bothering him, but damned if I didn't make him want to ring my little neck.

Later that same game, someone hit a slow rolling foul ball along the fence where we were sitting and as my 2 friends and I were reaching to try to grab the ball, 2 of us flipped over the fence and fell onto the field. We quickly jumped back up into the stands and despite some friendly folks who attempted to hide us, it didn't take but a few minutes for some ushers to kick us out of the section.

Oh yeah, I am definitely jealous of your Rod Carew bats.