Reviews of TTLab Reviews b/w Ludacris

faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
Don't front, you little dudes--you know it's your favorite sh!t to talk about:

Damn it feels good to hear Tip back on it. Sure, "For the Nasty(1)," isn't going to give people A Tribe Called Quest flashbacks (the 90s are over fellas, deal with that) but at least Tip is hooking up with the Neptunes on a more-than-serviceable track that might help erase the memory of his live band doodlings the way that Common's "The Corner," helped fade Electric Circus memories. I probably could have done with a bit less Busta on here but the song clearly nods to the tradition that Tip and Bussa Bus have laid down in the past on collabos. I don't quite see this doing major club damage, but blasting out a drop top on the ave? Oh yeah. Includes instrumental and acapella. -O-Dub[/b]
In a restrained 120 words, Oliver struggles to find some merit in a record that he clearly does not believe will suit his lifestyle. Certain that it is not a club banger, he speculates that it may instead bump "out a drop top on the ave," confirming his detachment from the streets. His efforts to distance himself from humorless Little Brother-listening types ("the 90s are over fellas, deal with that") provide a fascinating subtext as he has occasionally behaved as if he himself was among that number. The reader also notes with interest his contempuous reference to rappers indulging in live band wankery, a trend which he has actually encouraged in print on more than one past occasion. On the whole, a credible effort from an established writer mining familiar material--in the future we hope to see Oliver challenge himself by contributing reviews to the Lab's "Clothing" section.

b/w[/b]

I finally listened to that Ludacris album that came out back in November earlier today. Man, that sh!t is really not what's good. I mean really.

Comments

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts

• I'm not really liking this cut, even after a couple listens. 10th time a charm?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I'm not really liking this cut, even after a couple listens. 10th time a charm?

As I saw someone post elsewhere in the rap nerdosphere: If I was working at the club, I would not play.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Your analysis of O-Dub's review is superfluous...but at the same time amusing.

I finally listened to that Ludacris album that came out back in November earlier today. Man, that sh!t is really not what's good. I mean really

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Black genius intellect.

• theres nothing wrong with bieng nice.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    that Q-Tip song sucks & that Ludacris cd sucks too

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    my man.

Playas Only 12"
    R, Kelly

I hope y'all got your player's cards. Because if you don't... well um... then uh... I'm gonna uh... damn. When I hear this, I imagine an aluminum can that says "R Kelly Song" on it- you open it and there's a cape, some syrup, a book by that fag Dr. Drew and a plastic flute. "Playas Only(1)" features the always classic triplet "body/ naughty/ party" on the hook, and west coast wunderkind The Game. I love that this guy has made 3 hits saying "___ like UH / ___ like UH" with his fucking Little Nemo voice. "Throw the pussy like Elway"? Dude is the king of the single entendre. That shit is completely meaningless. The beat is dumb hot though. I refuse to believe that Scott Storch is not Dre's ghost producer. This is definitely one of those "you are going to need this 12 for precisely 3 weeks and then you will file it forever" records. But you DO need it. Pedophile requests running rampant up in the clurrrb. I don't even think he is hitting those high notes on here, but no one gives a flying fuck anymore. Instrumental and acapella included. -Bob Bannister

Simon Says 12"
    Pharoahe Monch

Remember in like 97 and 98 when Rawkus was the shit and everyone had a "friend who interned there" and all these kids had shelves full of doubles of like L Fudge and Shabaam Sahdeeq records in their dorm rooms or apartments their parents paid for? Everyone sitting around and smoking weed and pasting O.E. labels on the walls and telling stories about "this one time with my boy Aidan in San Mateo" and eating hummus and rocking wallabees with no socks and Lifted Research t-shirts and practicing your click laser flares with your mouth retardedly agape and fucking marginally cute Japanese girls who wanted to be down and had photos of Del on the ceiling above their beds? Yeah. Hip-hop really really REALLY sucked back then. But this song was and still is dope. Probably the only true classic Rawkus ever released, and definitely their only song you can still get away with playing. B-side is "Behind Closed Doors" and this includes the instrumental and acapella for both tracks. -Bob Bannister

Remember in like 97 and 98 when Rawkus was the shit and everyone had a "friend who interned there" and all these kids had shelves full of doubles of like L Fudge and Shabaam Sahdeeq records in their dorm rooms or apartments their parents paid for? Everyone sitting around and smoking weed and pasting O.E. labels on the walls and telling stories about "this one time with my boy Aidan in San Mateo" and eating hummus and rocking wallabees with no socks and Lifted Research t-shirts and practicing your click laser flares with your mouth retardedly agape and fucking marginally cute Japanese girls who wanted to be down and had photos of Del on the ceiling above their beds? Yeah. Hip-hop really really REALLY sucked back then. But this song was and still is dope. Probably the only true classic Rawkus ever released, and definitely their only song you can still get away with playing. B-side is "Behind Closed Doors" and this includes the instrumental and acapella for both tracks. -Bob Bannister[/b]

Okay, look, this dude really does not know me like that. First of all, I paid the rent on that apartment myself, alright? And I never had doubles of any of those records--one copy was all I could afford. He needs to stop making it sound like I was rich or some sh!t. This dude is just wild inaccurate with his sh!t. That girl was biracial, so he really can't say she was strictly Japenese. And I never touched that OE sh!t--I was always drinking some fine imported beers. I definitely wouldn't have done something as tacky as sticking the labels up on the walls--I had that Rawkus "Starting Five" poster up in a nice frame, like kind of classy. And I don't even know anybody named Aidan. All I'm saying is this dude better hope I don't see him out in the world.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    TTL just put a lot of the Def Jux, Stones Throw (MED to be exact) and some other indie hip-hop shit in the LP section. I guess they're not considered hip-hop anymore.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    TTL just put a lot of the Def Jux, Stones Throw (MED to be exact) and some other indie hip-hop shit in the LP section. I guess they're not considered hip-hop anymore.

Don't front, you little dudes--you know it's your favorite sh!t to talk about:

Damn it feels good to hear Tip back on it. Sure, "For the Nasty(1)," isn't going to give people A Tribe Called Quest flashbacks (the 90s are over fellas, deal with that) but at least Tip is hooking up with the Neptunes on a more-than-serviceable track that might help erase the memory of his live band doodlings the way that Common's "The Corner," helped fade Electric Circus memories. I probably could have done with a bit less Busta on here but the song clearly nods to the tradition that Tip and Bussa Bus have laid down in the past on collabos. I don't quite see this doing major club damage, but blasting out a drop top on the ave? Oh yeah. Includes instrumental and acapella. -O-Dub[/b]

In a restrained 120 words, Oliver struggles to find some merit in a record that he clearly does not believe will suit his lifestyle. Certain that it is not a club banger, he speculates that it may instead bump "out a drop top on the ave," confirming his detachment from the streets. His efforts to distance himself from humorless Little Brother-listening types ("the 90s are over fellas, deal with that") provide a fascinating subtext as he has occasionally behaved as if he himself was among that number. The reader also notes with interest his contempuous reference to rappers indulging in live band wankery, a trend which he has actually encouraged in print on more than one past occasion. On the whole, a credible effort from an established writer mining familiar material--in the future we hope to see Oliver challenge himself by contributing reviews to the Lab's "Clothing" section.

Where is Oliver at?

Isn't this the point where he should post a diss track aimed at me?

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    Theoretically, I like "For the Nasty," but judging by how often I listen to it, I don't like it.

It's hard being me.

-e

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Remember in like 97 and 98 when Rawkus was the shit and everyone had a "friend who interned there" and all these kids had shelves full of doubles of like L Fudge and Shabaam Sahdeeq records in their dorm rooms or apartments their parents paid for? Everyone sitting around and smoking weed and pasting O.E. labels on the walls and telling stories about "this one time with my boy Aidan in San Mateo" and eating hummus and rocking wallabees with no socks and Lifted Research t-shirts and practicing your click laser flares with your mouth retardedly agape and fucking marginally cute Japanese girls who wanted to be down and had photos of Del on the ceiling above their beds? Yeah. Hip-hop really really REALLY sucked back then. But this song was and still is dope. Probably the only true classic Rawkus ever released, and definitely their only song you can still get away with playing. B-side is "Behind Closed Doors" and this includes the instrumental and acapella for both tracks. -Bob Bannister[/b]

Okay, look, this dude really does not know me like that. First of all, I paid the rent on that apartment myself, alright? And I never had doubles of any of those records--one copy was all I could afford. He needs to stop making it sound like I was rich or some sh!t. This dude is just wild inaccurate with his sh!t. That girl was biracial, so he really can't say she was strictly Japenese. And I never touched that OE sh!t--I was always drinking some fine imported beers. I definitely wouldn't have done something as tacky as sticking the labels up on the walls--I had that Rawkus "Starting Five" poster up in a nice frame, like kind of classy. And I don't even know anybody named Aidan. All I'm saying is this dude better hope I don't see him out in the world.

Might have been better served posting this in "Quantum dynamics-rethinking time travel paradox", but here's a turntablelab review from late 2008...

Remember in like 04 and 05 when Texas was the shit and everyone had a "friend who lived there" and all these message board nerds had cds of like Chamillionair and Paul Wall? Everyone sitting around chopping and screwing and telling stories about "this one time with my man 'Chid in San Antonio" and eating vegie roties and rocking LED belt buckles and wearing "Property Of Mike Jones" t-shirts and quantizing your presets and fucking marginally cute white girls who wanted to be down and had photos of Common on the ceiling above their beds? Yeah. Hip-hop really really REALLY sucked back then. But this song was and still is dope. Probably the only true classic Stones Throw ever released, and definitely their only song you can still get away with playing. This includes the instrumental and acapella for both tracks. -Faux Rillz[/b]

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

Might have been better served posting this in "Quantum dynamics-rethinking time travel paradox", but here's a turntablelab review from late 2008...

Remember in like 04 and 05 when Texas was the shit and everyone had a "friend who lived there" and all these message board nerds had cds of like Chamillionair and Paul Wall? Everyone sitting around chopping and screwing and telling stories about "this one time with my man 'Chid in San Antonio" and eating vegie roties and rocking LED belt buckles and wearing "Property Of Mike Jones" t-shirts and quantizing your presets and fucking marginally cute white girls who wanted to be down and had photos of Common on the ceiling above their beds? Yeah. Hip-hop really really REALLY sucked back then. But this song was and still is dope. Probably the only true classic Stones Throw ever released, and definitely their only song you can still get away with playing. This includes the instrumental and acapella for both tracks. -Faux Rillz[/b]

brilliant.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Your analysis of O-Dub's review is superfluous...

Huh? Dude, Faux Rillz' analysis puts the "son" back in "so necessary"

• Your analysis of O-Dub's review is superfluous...

Huh? Dude, Faux Rillz' analysis puts the "son" back in "so necessary"

Faux Rilla ain't got no "CESS" though mane.

Me, I'll travel time, I'll travel thru time

Neighbor, I'll put the "terd" back in "yesterday".

Don't talk to me, talk to the CD.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

Remember in like 04 and 05 when Texas was the shit and everyone had a "friend who lived there"

Uh, no. Everyone I know from Texas talks massive shit about the state.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Where is Oliver at?

Isn't this the point where he should post a diss track aimed at me?

no this is where he blogs about you