Wedding Season

DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
Yo... how many weddings you got this summer? I just had my first of 8 this past weekend in Santa Clara. I'll be travelling to Seattle, Chicago, Boston, North Carolina and Louisiana along with the 3 locally. Damn... I was planning on doing some international travelling this summer, but every weekend is booked! I love weddings, but 8 is too many... I guess I'm just at that age. Oh well

Comments

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Those are Barmitzvah season numbers right there (Jewish headz know the deal!?). You should DJ the reception for all of them in exchange for the airfare.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    Yo... I love weddings...

huh? wha?
    id rather go to the dentist.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    I had my own 6 weeks ago, I had two other weddings since then and will have (at least) 4 more until september.
    Weddings in general suck until the drinking starts

Last wedding DJ rocked this setup:

two clearaudio audiophile tables...
    Dude played horrible 50s/60s 45's all night.

• Mr. CasualMr. Casual 953 Posts
    speaking on DJing Weddings..

I have to do two of them.. I have never done a wedding before.. not worried about what to play just what the special shit is ...

How many special dnaces are there and for what? .. I know the "first dance" but what else?

Any things i should know about.. Do they give speaches through out the night?

Do I need to know peoples names?

DROP KNOWLEDGE

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    I did my 1st one on Saturday...Easy peasssy. A bit akward since I didn't know the family. Anyways I ran it by annoucing the bridal party...We had a toast by the best man and brides maid. The 1st dance for bride and groom...Cake time. Then there was the dollar dance and it was a wrap.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Yo... I love weddings...

huh? wha?
    id rather go to the dentist.

I'm not DJing any of these weddings, these are all friends and family weddings. I like wearing nice suits, giving speeches and getting wasted... I'd never DJ one!

I'd never DJ one!

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts

I have to do two of them.. I have never done a wedding before.. not worried about what to play just what the special shit is ...

How many special dnaces are there and for what? .. I know the "first dance" but what else?

DROP KNOWLEDGE

i've lucked out and just ended up doing weddings for people that don't want that typical chicken dance/hokie pokie shit. did one yesterday in fact. usually end up playing jazz through dinner and dance standards when everyone is loopy and sauced up. though some old man told me once that you can't have a wedding in minnesOta without playing pOlka.... so if your in mn, be warned you might have to break out the pOlka joints! it'll be a barrel of fun.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

DROP KNOWLEDGE

The bride and groom should run you through all this stuff...every wedding is different, though there are some pretty standard things, such as the bride and groom's first dance. Having a special dance for the bride and her father is fairly common, too, and if they're doing that, they should tell you what song to play and when it's happening.

As for speeches, in my experience, that usually happens before the dancing starts up, but again, if they're going to interrupt the music to do so, they should tell you beforehand.

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts

DROP KNOWLEDGE

make sure and have the Cha Cha Slide!!

• RAW_HAMBURGERRAW_HAMBURGER 1,438 Posts
    i just did one last night, my homie and his wife are both friends of mine.
    my one rule is, i do not bring any equiptment except my tables/mixer.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

DROP KNOWLEDGE

make sure and have the Cha Cha Slide!!

yo, i was thinking the exact same thing!!!!!!!
    i love the chacha slide.

i was at an old head 50th anniversary recently where the dj serendaded the couple with like a ten minute song. seemed like a freestyle, but it couldnt have been. it was amazing..."Mr.James..your wife told me that her life would be meaningless without you." and on and on. had the old guy crying. had EVERYONE crying. it was amazing and beautiful. then the chacha slide got everyone up.i thought i was gonna be at the function for an hour tops...i was there for six hours and had a great time.

8 weddings = too much

someone post p the Cha Cha Slide mp3

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    i'm a little young for most of my friends to start getting married off but i went to my first ever bachelor party this weekend, in vegas. now that shit was fun.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    i'm a little young for most of my friends to start getting married off but i went to my first ever bachelor party this weekend, in vegas. now that shit was fun.

I just had mine in Vancouver last weekend...

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

I just had mine in Vancouver last weekend...

congrats! (on the wedding, not the bachelor party). but i have heard stories about the strip clubs there. must've been legendary

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    We have 8 this year. Five down already. Best one so far was in Sligo, ROI. Treated like family (which we aren't) and the groom loves good food, so the menu was

Free champers and wine for 2 nights.

Dude hired the yatch club.

Nothing is going to top this one for us this year.

The first wedding this year featured bacon sandwiches at 1AM. Proper northern!

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    I worked out last year that the four weddings I went to last summer cost me well over $5000 with stag parties, presents, hotels, party essential, clothes, travel etc. My heart sinks when friends announce their impending nuptials.

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts
    I went to a super fun destination wedding bout a month ago. My friend got married in Key Largo, right on the water. We rented out this whole resort....like about 6 or 7 cabins. Had the reception in the common area. It was dope. Plus there were 6 of us that were djs (including the groom), so we just all dj'd.

I dj'd a more conventional wedding this past saturday. I get alot of requests to do weddings but generally, I decline. I have started to do some, but I draw up a contract & make clear to the couple of what I do and that I don't do song lists, not a jukebox etcetc. I usually give them a list of genres that I can play and they just say "play motown & mainstream soul early, then mix in a little 80s and hiphop later in the night". I make everything clear in the contract. Still, its tough, cause with weddings even if the bride & groom are all for it, the reception is really for the GUESTS. but whatever....thats why i don't do it much.

the money is good though. hah.

-pj

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    I worked out last year that the four weddings I went to last summer cost me well over $5000 with stag parties, presents, hotels, party essential, clothes, travel etc. My heart sinks when friends announce their impending nuptials.

And i lose money that i would have made djing on the nights i have weddings. its a financial disaster. i have 4 this summer as well. one in new orleans that is gonna cost me about 3 grand by itself.