Aksak Maboul

onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
Anyone else into these guys? Belgian group that released an initial album of electronic rock with European folk roots. I have it and find it kind of underwhelming. Their second (and final, I think) LP "Un Peu de l'Ame des Bandits" brought in Chris Cutler and Fred Frith and is a very different animal. EXTREMELY adventurous avant art-rock that takes some very noisy turns but often manages to groove as well. The musicians take so many chances on this record, but almost all of them pay off, and it works great as a start-to-finish whole. Dates from 1980 or so and is some very forward-looking music -- definitely one of my very favorite projects involving Frith and Cutler together.I found a copy in a dollar bin a few years back and love it, but it's not very clean and has some skips and pops on my favorite tracks. Anyone else have it digitized and/or share my enthusiasm for this LP?

Comments

• hell yes these guys were really interesting. for me, their best record is 'onze danses pour combattre le migraine.' very bizarre and unique mix of prog, minimalism, arabic and african influences. sounds like it would be terrible, but their records are truly fun to listen to.

• wholewheatwholewheat 437 Posts
    I like "Scratch Holiday" from Made to Measure Volume One. Layers and layers of loops that build on each other and sound really beautiful. They have several other tracks on the record, but this one is pretty unique.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    Hmm, I'll have to give "Onze Danses..." some more time. That's the one that was underwhelming to me, but I acquired it recently and I've only given it a few listens. After the wildness of the follow-up, it sounded just a little too controlled and minimal.

• wholewheatwholewheat 437 Posts
    Here you go.

Aksak Maboul - Scratch Holiday:

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    Here you go.

Looks like I forgot to thank you for that. So... thanks!

Anyone got a complete discography on these guys? Is Un Peu De L'amour... the only record of theirs w/ Frith?