P.M. Dawn - Like, Love or Unappreciated.

obscure_addictobscure_addict 869 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
This was one of the best tracks to play anywhere you went and almost everyone loved it. These two guys came onto the scene like dropping one of the freshest r&b/hiphop hits during the late 80s. Having sampled eric b & rakim's paid in full certainly did not hurt it's chances for success. If you love it like i do then give it up for Prince Be & Dj Minute Mix. This is a 3 part mix that i've rocked for ages now.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    This was one of the worst tracks to hear anywhere you went and almost everyone knew it. These two guys came onto MTV like dropping one of the most housewifey r&b/hiphop hits during the late 80s. Having sampled Spandau Ballet certainly was the main reason for its success.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    WHY PM DAWN?????

• Damn i've been doing it all wrong these years huh.. I loved seeing them perform live back in the day. Guess i'm drowning myself in

There's difference between a guilty pleasure vs. "that's that shit!!"

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

• There's difference between a guilty pleasure vs. "that's that shit!!"

hah duely noted, got me feeling very ostrazied for my love of the mix. Not that i'm drivin down the street groovin to it outloud followed by the culture club or anything.

There's difference between a guilty pleasure vs. "that's that shit!!"

hah duely noted, got me feeling very ostrazied for my love of the mix. Not that i'm drivin down the street groovin to it outloud followed by the culture club or anything.

I would bump some Culture Club before PM Dawn.

There was a thread, maybe 2 yrs ago, where cats were discussing Prince Be's collection and how cool of a guy he is.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    These guys had beats. I'm fairly sure Philly Phill may have testified to Prince Be knowing his records and shit, but there were more than a few PM Dawn tunes that were pretty adventurous on the production side, certainly for the mid/late 90's. On the whole, I didn't really care for them, but I give them credit for coming with some interesting beats.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    'set adrift' was the cut for a minute... but if you're into late 80's/early 90's alt-rap, you might get more mileage outta this lp:

you can bump it loud w/o fear of reprisal.

'set adrift' was the cut for a minute... but if you're into late 80's/early 90's alt-rap, you might get more mileage outta this lp:

you can bump it loud w/o fear of reprisal.

Divine Styler is my shit.

I was gonna turn this into Successful Psychedelic Hip Hop. Not that forced Post-De La Soul bullshit.

Yomo & Maukie.

• Spoken word & double time steelo style, damn nearly forgot that one oldschool rhyme syndicate. Aint sayin nothin was my jam far as early spaced out hiphop goes.

• coldcutscoldcuts 388 Posts
    These guys had beats. I'm fairly sure Philly Phill may have testified to Prince Be knowing his records and shit, but there were more than a few PM Dawn tunes that were pretty adventurous on the production side, certainly for the mid/late 90's. On the whole, I didn't really care for them, but I give them credit for coming with some interesting beats.

I can't front on "Set adrift..." and "Paper Doll"

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    pm dawn is like rap new age and mellow shit. I feel bits and pieces of their catalog.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts

These dudes are pretentious and corny as hell but fuck it - i'm ridin with "Of the Heart, of the Soul and of the Cross"!

There's some good tracks on here...Reality Used to Be a Friend of Mine and In the Presence of Mirrors are dope!

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Haven't heard this in yeaaaars. I remember not hating PM Dawn. I thought that record had a few songs on it. Word is, Prince Be has deep crates.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

that was the first cd i ever got. i got it free at the grand opening of the silver city galleria mall and i tried to play it on my record player. i still have it, with all the needle scratches.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

that was the first cd i ever got. i got it free at the grand opening of the silver city galleria mall and i tried to play it on my record player. i still have it, with all the needle scratches.

For real?

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    didn't KRS throw these dudes off stage mid performance or summat?

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

For real?

yeah, i didnt get a cd player till x-mas that year or the next, so i didnt know what a cd was. it was all tape and vinyl before that. and i found the actual cd this morning and it has the scratches on it. i had to choose either a pm dawn cd or nkotb.

didn't KRS throw these dudes off stage mid performance or summat?

They deserved it.

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    Word is, Prince Be has deep crates.

He does. very deep.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I wonder if it will ever be okay to rock P.M. Dawn again? Is Aressted Development on the blacklist, too?

Is Aressted Development on the blacklist, too?

YES.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I wonder if it will ever be okay to rock P.M. Dawn again?

Whaddya mean "again?" I still see dudes doing the "Paid in Full" ---> "Set Adrift" ----> Spandau Ballet routine. Ugh.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

YES.

NO.

YES.

NO.

YES.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

YES.

NO.

YES.

ZINGALAMADUNI!

But for real I'll throw a few Arrested Development joints in a set on some crazy throwback shit but it's not anything that I'll be rocking for real. "Tennesee" and "People Everyday" still get the occasional burn on some taking you back just for a second though. I don't like to play shit that's ironic but really Arrested Development is the closest that I'll ever come to in that regard. Arrested Development = Mom Rap.

But on the strength, PM Dawn used to get heartily dissed back in the day so I don't see what makes it dope now. Yeah Be has crates and yeah it was a catchy tune (that was inescapeable on the radio when it was "fresh") but that doesn't make it THE JAM.

However "I'll Die Without You" is my guilty joint...

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts

"Tennesee" and "People Everyday" still get the occasional burn on some taking you back just for a second though. I don't like to play shit that's ironic but really Arrested Development is the closest that I'll ever come to in that regard.

That's basically where Arrested Development stands for me- a shade or two above ironic, but not exactly dope.

But on the strength, PM Dawn used to get heartily dissed back in the day so I don't see what makes it dope now. Yeah Be has crates and yeah it was a catchy tune (that was inescapeable on the radio when it was "fresh") but that doesn't make it THE JAM.

Man, even back in the early 90s I had a strange premonition that heads would be reviving P.M. Dawn as some kind of underappreciated genius. I'm not a fan, but they certainly have been vindicated by the kind of soft r&b shit that gets a pass from rap fans these days.