More MLB Racism from Gary Sheffield's Mouthlps

2»

Comments

• Quote from the great mind of gary sheffield.

???Imagine if you came to work and you wanted to be positive, and somebody made a positive situation negative. I don't want to be negative. I've been fighting for 17 years, always negative. Why can't I have something positive done????

He just wants to get along or maybe he meant unless your a easily controlled underpaid latino. Bottom line is guy needs to retire he is not Tony Gwynn.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Ok, I think I understand where we are seeing differently I'm taking Sheffields words as only meaning those in MLB. I don't think for a second that any business/ business man is going to spend money on prospects if they don't have to. Perhaps a smarter business man will see tha if he drops another zero on the offer for a potential player people will be more eager to sign, but until then its all about saving a buck for these guys on top. Is it exploitative? it's debatable after all if a prospect does pan out he is living pretty well. Sosa's $3,500 initial signing is peanuts compared to what he's making this year as an aged, cork swinging, steroid filled powerhitter.

But that doesn't take away from his words saying that he knows there are sub par, easily controlled guys playing baseball and he attributes it to their race
    Agreed.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I think what Sheffield's comments might really be saying is....These damn foriegners are coming here and taking our jobs....sounds familar.

I was waiting for someone to resort to the South Park argument.

Did you read the article I posted a link to above?

How do you explain Latin players agreeing with Sheffield?

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Either way it just comes off as slightly racist. Mad doggie style.

b/w

How the fuck you gone defend dis shit?

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    Calling Sheffield's comments racist is a simplistic argument. Basically, he's saying that Latino players are easily controlled because they don't have the upper hand in the situation. There's a difference.

can you show me where he's saying that?

Synopsis is that because Latino players have fewer options they easier for the management to control.

can YOU show me where he's saying that?

I think y'all are reading a lot into it...he doesn't say anything about not having the upper hand or whatever. If it isn't racist it's at least stereotyping, but I guess that's OK for some people to do?

• "These are the things my race demands. So, if you're equally good as this Latin player, guess who's going to get sent home? I know a lot of players that are home now can outplay a lot of these guys."

Anybody who's followed Sheffield's career knows what a giant piece of shit he is. While with the Brewers, he would intentionally play below his ability so he could be traded, even admitting it to the press. So for him to talk about controlling players and having respect for players is a goddamn joke.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

"These are the things my race demands. So, if you're equally good as this Latin player, guess who's going to get sent home? I know a lot of players that are home now can outplay a lot of these guys."

Anybody who's followed Sheffield's career knows what a giant piece of shit he is. While with the Brewers, he would intentionally play below his ability so he could be traded, even admitting it to the press. So for him to talk about controlling players and having respect for players is a goddamn joke.

You forgot the part about telling people who are considering responding to you not to do so because you will not even read it.

• Ha! That's only when an uninformed jocker runs his mouth.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I don't know how many of you are aware of this or not, but Latin players are not eligible for the MLB draft. Therefore, they are MUCH less likely to get the signing bonuses of American players, although this is slowly changing. So, teams are able to sign a Latin player for a fraction of the cost of an American player. And if the Latin player doesn't like it, they'll just get somebody else. That puts them in a serious bind, unlike their drafted American contemporaries. Anybody in a situation like that would be timid about speaking up for themselves, because in MLB's eyes, they are replaceable, without a significant financial investment.

Direct your disgust to Major League Baseball who is practicing this exploitation, not Gary Sheffield for pointing it out.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Ive lived in the shadow of Yankee Stadium for 37 years. That organization has done absolutely nothing to create a youth program for the South Bronx kids.
    Baseball was the first sport I picked up and by the mid 80's i had moved on to Tennis & Basketball.
    The MLB isnt trying to go to the African - American communities and set up programs for kids to stay interested in Baseball. Basketball has a gang of inner city programs. The Knicks are always in the field shakin hands and takin pictures and shit.
    The MLB doesnt care about Black People. Shit is real multi-layered.

As I said before, I think Blacks have largely chosen football and basketball over baseball. I think that is a mistake because there is more money for most players in baseball.

At the median level your probably right, but the highest paid Basketball player is underneath the Highest paid Baseball player?

If you factor in endorsements name a Baseball campaign that even compares to LeBron's Nike game.

Who wearing cleats by your favorite Baseball player? Jordan opened up a store in China.

1 Alex Rodriguez New York Yankees $21,680,727
    2 Derek Jeter New York Yankees $20,600,000
    3 Jason Giambi New York Yankees $20,428,571
    4 Barry Bonds San Francisco Giants $20,000,000
    5 Jeff Bagwell Houston Astros $19,369,019
    6 Mike Mussina New York Yankees $19,000,000
    7 Manny Ramirez Boston Red Sox $18,279,238
    8 Todd Helton Colorado Rockies $16,600,000
    9 Andy Pettitte Houston Astros $16,428,416
    10 Magglio Ordonez Detroit Tigers $16,200,000
    11 Randy Johnson New York Yankees $15,661,427[/b]

1. Kevin Garnett Minnesota Timberwolves $21,000,000
    2. Chris Webber Philadelphia 76ers $20,718,750
    3. Shaquille O'Neal Miami Heat $20,000,000
    4. *Michael Finley San Antonio Spurs 19,030,999
    5. Jason Kidd New Jersey Nets $18,084,000
    5. Jermaine O'Neal Indiana Pacers $18,084,000
    7. Kobe Bryant Los Angeles Lakers $17,718,750
    8. Tim Duncan San Antonio Spurs $17,429,672
    9. Allen Iverson Philadelphia 76ers $17,184,375
    9. Stephon Marbury New York Knicks $17,184,375
    11. Tracy McGrady Houston Rockets $16,901,500
    11. Grant Hill Orlando Magic $16,901,500[/b]

• Direct your disgust to Major League Baseball who is practicing this exploitation, not Gary Sheffield for pointing it out.

That's not what Sheffield was pointing out, though. He was sharing his crackpot theory for why there are fewer black people in MLB, which has nothing to do with exploitation and everything to do with what BATMON is saying.

If a Latin American player makes the bigs, they are automatically in the player's union and make the league minimum ($380,000 in 2006).

If only I could be exploited for 380K a year...

• It should also be obvious that demanding to be respected without having earned it is

Direct your disgust to Major League Baseball who is practicing this exploitation, not Gary Sheffield for pointing it out.

you're reading what you want into it, but that's not what he's saying AT ALL. he's stereotyping plain and simple.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Gary is not the most "well spoken" muhfucka in the world...... a long line of white boys in baseball agree 100% with Gary ...but they aren't dumb enough to word it like he did....I could see Cahrles Barkley saying the same shit and getting away with it.

As I said before, I think Blacks have largely chosen football and basketball over baseball. I think that is a mistake because there is more money for most[/b] players in baseball.

At the median level your probably right, but the highest paid Basketball player is underneath the Highest paid Baseball player?

If you factor in endorsements name a Baseball campaign that even compares to LeBron's Nike game.

Who wearing cleats by your favorite Baseball player? Jordan opened up a store in China.

1 Alex Rodriguez New York Yankees $21,680,727
    2 Derek Jeter New York Yankees $20,600,000
    3 Jason Giambi New York Yankees $20,428,571
    4 Barry Bonds San Francisco Giants $20,000,000
    5 Jeff Bagwell Houston Astros $19,369,019
    6 Mike Mussina New York Yankees $19,000,000
    7 Manny Ramirez Boston Red Sox $18,279,238
    8 Todd Helton Colorado Rockies $16,600,000
    9 Andy Pettitte Houston Astros $16,428,416
    10 Magglio Ordonez Detroit Tigers $16,200,000
    11 Randy Johnson New York Yankees $15,661,427[/b]

1. Kevin Garnett Minnesota Timberwolves $21,000,000
    2. Chris Webber Philadelphia 76ers $20,718,750
    3. Shaquille O'Neal Miami Heat $20,000,000
    4. *Michael Finley San Antonio Spurs 19,030,999
    5. Jason Kidd New Jersey Nets $18,084,000
    5. Jermaine O'Neal Indiana Pacers $18,084,000
    7. Kobe Bryant Los Angeles Lakers $17,718,750
    8. Tim Duncan San Antonio Spurs $17,429,672
    9. Allen Iverson Philadelphia 76ers $17,184,375
    9. Stephon Marbury New York Knicks $17,184,375
    11. Tracy McGrady Houston Rockets $16,901,500
    11. Grant Hill Orlando Magic $16,901,500[/b]

I hope you don't think most[/b] basketball players are getting Kevin Garnett Money and endorsement. Nor do most baseball players get A Rod money. Most players are making well under a mil a year. In baseball a whole lot less if they are in the minors. On average most[/b] baseball players have longer careers and make more money than most[/b] athletes playing other sports.

Most great athletes have a choice which sport they would like to excell in. If you are over 6'10" baseball is a good choice. If you are over 350 pounds football is a good choice. But most great athletes have their choice. Those who chose baseball, like Sheffield, are showing their smarts.

I wonder which is more racist. Gary Sheffields remarks. Or people who think he is to dumb too understand the "complex" issue of MLB's exploitation of Latin players.

I wonder which is more racist. Gary Sheffields remarks. Or people who think he is to dumb too understand the "complex" issue of MLB's exploitation of Latin players.

this board needs one of those eye-rolling graemlins.

EDIT: that said, reading his follow up comments i can see his (and your) point. but no one on here has said "he is too dumb to understand" anything. we're saying that's not WHAT HE SAID.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Jason Giambi New York Yankees $20,428,571
    [/b]

Giambi gets over $20,000,000 per year?!?!?!

What a fucking joke!

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    That's his 2006 salary. According to this USA Today page, he's making $ 23,428,571 in 2007 as the DH.

Jason Giambi New York Yankees $20,428,571
    [/b]

Giambi gets over $20,000,000 per year?!?!?!

What a fucking joke!

Those who chose baseball, like Sheffield, are showing their smarts.

So kids picking tennis/lacrosse/soccer/etc arent as "smart"?

If Baseball hasNOT put forth the effort to attract Black kids in there own back yard but has shifted the effort to Carribean programs for cheaper labor well what should the Local Black Exp do?
    Tiger Woods looks real good right now. LeBron looks real good right now. Serena always looks good.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Aren't most of these said latin player Black?? Tell me How is this racist?? Some like a bunch of White liberal know it all. Jewbacca is a

excuse me young child, but who the fuck are you? You ain't nothing but some dude who has said nothing and chooses to use graemlins to speak the words you don't seem to be able to say yourself.

Sheffields comments plainly said that Latin players are easier to control. the words have been quoted and requoted repeatedly on this site and in the media.

Don't try to come at me with that white liberal claim, if anything white people giving the Sheff a pass on making a comment like that shows white liberal gilt, people have read much more into words that said much less said by people with much lighter skintones than that of this douchebag.

speaking of douchebags, I'm awaiting your graemlin filled retort.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Aren't most of these said latin player Black?? Tell me How is this racist?? Some like a bunch of White liberal know it all. Jewbacca is a

excuse me young child, but who the fuck are you? You ain't nothing but some dude who has said nothing and chooses to use graemlins to speak the words you don't seem to be able to say yourself.

Sheffields comments plainly said that Latin players are easier to control. the words have been quoted and requoted repeatedly on this site and in the media.

Don't try to come at me with that white liberal claim, if anything white people giving the Sheff a pass on making a comment like that shows white liberal gilt, people have read much more into words that said much less said by people with much lighter skintones than that of this douchebag.

Welcome Back!!!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Welcome Back!!!

please point me to the angriest strutter thread, I've got months of catching up to do

b/w

Hi Rich

Aren't most of these said Latin player Black??

That's a whole 'nother question.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Well, Since I rep the ig'nant Black Muth'fuckas out there they're will be no need for a long rebuttle.
    Shut your hymie ass the fuck up ,cuz you don't Know what the fuck you are talking about.

are you more proud of your need to insult others based on their culture or the fact that you call yourself "ig'nant".

It really don't matter matter actually, your opinion has already been rendered worthless

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

are you more proud of your need to insult others based on their culture or the fact that you call yourself "ig'nant".

It really don't matter matter actually, your opinion has already been rendered worthless

You sound pigmentally challenged.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

You sound pigmentally challenged.

my hymie ass is actually 2 shades darker than my hymie face. I'd imagine I sound like I'm going through racial puberty

anyways, its a fools trick to take away from the subject and attack elsewhere.

Philly is a self admitted "ig'nant" fool. I'm going to sit back and watch this child try to act like a man from afar.

SOULSTRUT LITTLE DUDE SYNDROME STRIKES AGAIN