Awkward Situation: Some Cat’s Wack Demo(s)???

2»

Comments

• Hey,

Have any of you guys been in that awkward situation where you had to respond to some cat's wack demo? Maybe they gave you a copy, you peeped it, and dismissed it as booty. Usually, the beats are garbage and the kids can't flow (e.g., lack breath control, pronunciation, bad mic training, etc.). This happened last night, actually. Then, some time in the future you see them and they ask what you thought. How do you respond to this? I try to be complimentary and maybe I'll point out some areas where they can improve. This is especially difficult when dude is ya boy and they really want you to level with them. Personally, most demos I'm played around MilwauKKKee don't move me, so I deal with this on the regular.

Another question is how do you respond to wack MCs that want you to make beats for them? Back in the day, I used to give 'em slut loops and breaks that I didn't plan on using (e.g,. "There it is", "The Breakdown", and shit like that). Do you horde your best stuff for the best MCs? So, there are the issues, please add on if you feel like it.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Just have them send their demos to Jinx/Justin. He will break it down for real.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts

Another question is how do you respond to wack MCs that want you to make beats for them? Back in the day, I used to give 'em slut loops and breaks that I didn't plan on using (e.g,. "There it is", "The Breakdown", and shit like that). Do you horde your best stuff for the best MCs? So, there are the issues, please add on if you feel like it.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak
    Very good topic man! I was just thinking about this. I have a friend who is a damn good friend of mine we have been down for years. He was never into doing music.. and last year was like "Yo I want to try rhyming can you send me some trash beats to mess with" He lives about 7 hours away from me ...Anyways I sent him some garbage keyboard ish to mess with knowing the end result was gonna suck no matter what and now dude is trying to blow up myspace with all this garbage and putting my name and crew name and shit on it... I kinda don't wanna be associated with something so bad....but we been through some shit and I've told dude I ain't really feelin his ish but at the same time he kinda thick in the head to where I've gotta be like "yo you suck drop the mic and don't pick it up!" dude being my friend is more important than some janky ass rap shit...what should I do?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I got a story...............

Years ago, my boy had an internship a Calliope Stuidios in Manhattan. I would hang out with him during many sessions. One session was for ATCQ's "I Left My Wallet in El Segundo". During the session Q-tip asked for my opinion. Me being slightly starstuck, I said yes when he asked me if I think this song would sell.
    I felt bad lying to him, cause that song is mediocre IMO. To this day I felt I shoulda been str8t with my opinion and not suck up an artist.

PS...........the song didnt really sell.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    Yo i gotta say I was like 9 when "El Sagundo dropped" and I loved it....

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

The question he asked me was economical not artistical.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    Hey,

Have any of you guys been in that awkward situation where you had to respond to some cat's wack demo? Maybe they gave you a copy, you peeped it, and dismissed it as booty. Usually, the beats are garbage and the kids can't flow (e.g., lack breath control, pronunciation, bad mic training, etc.). This happened last night, actually. Then, some time in the future you see them and they ask what you thought. How do you respond to this? I try to be complimentary and maybe I'll point out some areas where they can improve. This is especially difficult when dude is ya boy and they really want you to level with them. Personally, most demos I'm played around MilwauKKKee don't move me, so I deal with this on the regular.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Just have them send their demos to Jinx/Justin. He will break it down for real.

thanks T... but all im going to say is that if a dude is your boy and wants the real speak you gotta tell him... if he takes offense then thats his bad for being a bitch cause straight up thats only one mans opinion... maybe the next busted ear nigga is gonna like it but if your honest and straight with dude(s) they need to man up and be like "aiight, i feel you..."

i wouldnt attack someones shit even if its some wack ass heiro living legends type shit... just be like "look this is what i like and dont like about it..."

morsecode played me some shit once that i told him was "eh..." to me... i think he might of felt bitter for a minute but he played me some more shit down the line that i was like "YO! that shits hot!"... he didnt act like a child and never come at me again for my opinion... thats some homie/man shit right there and thats why i respect dude...

when cats are asking you to throw them some shit and you aint feeling them NEVER throw them something that a real emcee can freak better... its a waste of a beat... unless that cat is putting that shit out on vinyl and cd where its gonna get heard/played or at least fucking listened to by someone with good ears... cause someone is going to hear your shit that matters and may get up with you about that...

anyway... those are my thoughts on it...

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts

The question he asked me was economical not artistical.
    I understand.. That song and "buddy" were my introduction to tribe as a nine year old and I bought all that Native tounges ish....So something about that track made me want to cop the tape even though it wasn't the dopest ish on there

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

I hope everybody gets my meaning in this thread. I'm talking talentless, butt-ass MCs and producers who hand you a demo with little or no redeeming quality whatsoever. I'm not referring to that so-so cat or group that could get better with some practice and experience. I'm speakin on guys that should never touch the mic, SP, MPC, ASR whatever again. Why is it that these are always the guys hawkin' for beats? Why can't I meet that ill MC while I'm playin' beats at the CD store? Well, I'm 1 out of 100s since I did meet the dude I'm working with on the CD at the music store. Another question is why are the dopest MCs the most irresponsible muthafuckas, while that wack (or so-so) cat is dependable as hell? Shit is frustrating, isn't it?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak