Soul Strut Appreciation Thread

DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
I am doing a lot of working in my community right now, organizing around schools, trying to bring people together to build something worthy of our children's great promise. A lot of what we do is communing around food and fun activities. I am always pleasantly surprised how positive and excited people are when given a chance to dream dreams about the future. Real human connection has that kind of impact on people.This got me to thinking about why Soul Strut works so well. How it survives all the changes in focus and membership. What Raj has done so brilliantly is make room for "real" community. He has never tried to control the content or direction, only to provide some gentle guidance and a focus on a love of music. What has sprung from his efforts is a group that raised $100k for hurricane katrina relief, lots of friendships that will probably last a lifetime and a truly profound sharing of musical knowledge that is global in its impact and reach. Props to you brother Raj, this shit is a masterpiece.

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

Props to all who call this home. It is truly appreciated.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    let it not be forgotten that we raised over $1000 (non records auction influenced) for tsunami victims a couple years ago!

for real, as much as i shake my head over the time lost on the strut, this place is a positive community in so many ways. props to my man raj and everyone else.

-t

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    the best thing about soulstrut to me is that its such a great resource. for me anyway. ive met a lot of cats here in the real world. stayed with folks from the board, toured around their cities, and overall given the family treatment whenever i met up with someone.

no matter where you travel theres a soulstrutter there to help you out.

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    Props to you brother Raj & all SS family, this shit is a masterpiece.[/b]

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    back when i was in college, there used to be this billboard stand at a nearby train stop where people would exchange dialogues. somebody'd write something, somebody else would answer, and by the end of that week that billboard would be loaded down with comments. even when the b.b. got changed, the dialogue would continue.

this was in the early nineties, just a few years before the Internet. soul strut (and a few other e-groups im on) are the closest ive come since then.

kinda like an electronic version of those old billboard verbal jam sessions.

BTW, the billboards are still there, but no one ever defaces them anymore unless its some graffiti artist tagging their name. i dont know if somebody got busted or what, but the old billboard conversations are no more.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

STRAIGHT UP.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    In addition to being an excellent informative resource on music and culture, and helping me cross off a number of titles from my want list
    this place makes my work day bearable. Plus, it has introduced me to much graemspeek...

PROPZ.

SG

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    This is my favorite website of all time! i've been checking this site since 02. The amount of here is incredible, but what keeps me coming back is the fact that so many of the people here have an incredible sense of humor. I laugh out loud at least once a week.
    I also find myself using Soulstrut sayings in conversation quite a bit.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    massive respect and big ups to Raj for dealing with me and 'the element'

not to mention all of the knowledge dropped

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    this is funny I was so close to starting a soulstrut appreciation thread a couple nights ago. I was pretty drunk and reading some posts thinking "I love you guys."

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    here here! peace, stein. . .

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    "I love you guys."

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    soulstrut is good also because it is one of the only real "community" forums on the net meaning people will actually meet strutters when they go outside to other countries. All in all, soulstrut is one of the best forums on teh internet, aside from its musical aspect, it really is. Not to mention it has mad ill aliases

• oripsorips 238 Posts
    I was one of the early listeners to the mixes that were posted in '98-00 and read the album reviews off and on. But I totally slept on the forums until last year. I now look forward to reading about all the record knowledge that goes on in the forums, and also enjoy the pure comedy, graemlins and the odd off-topic threads. Thanks Soul Strut.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Not to mention it has mad ill aliases

so you really did kidnapped that boy to shoot the raer sergio mendes video?

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    A toast to all you record elitists, know-it-alls, dickweeds, & cowards!
    IMG SRC=http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/2415327/2/istockphoto_2415327_celebration_toast_with_champagne.jpg>
    Clink

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I was actually intending to make my 5000th post a SS Appreciation but it looks like I fucked around and well, here it is my 5002nd post

This place has given me more knowledge on music than any other single source over the past few years and there's been a lot of laughs along the way as well...

Gotta give it up to Raj and everybody else for making this place the spot to chill online... much respect and love

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    As a relative newcomer to the site I cant beleive the great meetings and friendships i have made on this board let alone the immense music expansion i have experienced. An incredible community sparked by a brilliant initiative...

the rest is SS history..incredible achievements such as Katrina (i logged on around that time) and side-splitting threads and moments

thanks RAJ and props to ma strutters

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    There is no other place like Soulstrut!

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts

Work has really gotten in the way of my strutting of late, and I've missed being here a ton.

That said, this is one of my favorite things here: the amount of RWM made by the folks on here has really helped inspire me to work harder, do more, give back, and just be a better all around foll.

So, props to all.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    "I love you guys."

(wheres the leo sayer graemlin?)

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I HEART SOULSTRUT!

[color:white](almost as much as I heart AssParade.com!) [/color]

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    This is pretty much the only website I visit on a daily basis, it is cool talking about all sorts of music because in reality, I don't actually know of many people who also know about the sort of records I'm into or are as obsessed with records as I am. It is absoulutely invaluable for record knowledge, the humor is consistently crack up & it definitely makes international travel more fun to catch up with a strutter or two & go digging. keep it up everyone.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

Props to all who call this home. It is truly appreciated.

dopeness for dayzz...

and ....

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    "I love you guys."

(wheres the leo sayer graemlin?)