Tonearm Problems (Technics1200 related)

DescryDescry 229 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
I just replaced the tonearm on my 1200; however, the left channel is find but the right channel (red) does not work at all.The solder joints where the rca's connect on the PCB look fine.I tried re-soldering the joints, but it didn't seem to help at all. I'm desperately in need of suggestions.

Comments

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    Try licking the contacts on your cart...

...and then stick it back in.

• You got tonearm problems?

Im stuck with this new breed of SL-1200 that has a slight thinner spindle
    So all my scratch records now will fit too loosely.
    Mailed with Technics, they said its known but not an issue.
    They did this on purpose cuz alot where complaineing the spindle was too thick and alot of weckods fit too tight.

Can you imagine alot of prickheads complaining at technics and now they decided to make the spindle a bit thinner? WTF?? Who were they? Id like to shoot them.

So if you get a 1200 get a oldskool version.. f***** pricks.. (not the TS just those lame worts complaining at technics, probably some house djs')

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    You got tonearm problems?

Im stuck with this new breed of SL-1200 that has a slight thinner spindle
    So all my scratch records now will fit too loosely.
    Mailed with Technics, they said its known but not an issue.
    They did this on purpose cuz alot where complaineing the spindle was too thick and alot of weckods fit too tight.

Can you imagine alot of prickheads complaining at technics and now they decided to make the spindle a bit thinner? WTF?? Who were they? Id like to shoot them.

So if you get a 1200 get a oldskool version.. f***** pricks.. (not the TS just those lame worts complaining at technics, probably some house djs')

You know you could just buy some new battle records..

Or use the old paper trick.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Yea, tha't usually a cartrige problem. You don't even have to lick them. Just a quick rub with your finger. (AYO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

• DescryDescry 229 Posts
    isn't a cartridge issue. i REPLACED my tonearm, meaning everything used to work fine literally seconds before i began turntable surgery. i thought that too, but i tried the cart on my other tt, and it worked perfectly well. i'm assuming i might have delaminated the pcb?

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    So your other cart doesn't work in the new tonearm either? Could be a faulty tone arm...... not unheard of.

• DescryDescry 229 Posts
    yeah, that's what i was thinking. gonna take it into the shop, thanks all.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    i might have delaminated the pcb?

yup. gotta apply that heat and use suction to get rid of that old solder on there. I've seen these technics pcb's literally peel off laminate if ANY pulling of the wires during heating is used. You have to clamp them tight, and then just heat your work, using a suction tube to siphon the old crap off and let the wire fall of from gravity- nothing else.

replace that pcb, they're not too expensive. I've never seen a brand new tonearm be faulty from the factory.
    why'd you replace the arm any way? bad bearings?

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    i might have delaminated the pcb?

yup. gotta apply that heat and use suction to get rid of that old solder on there. I've seen these technics pcb's literally peel off laminate if ANY pulling of the wires during heating is used.

Had this happen. It was not a fun experience.

And yeah, the Techs made today aren't of the same build quality in many ways. I mean, still the best out there, but there are a few nitpicky things that aren't quite right.

• bozakbozak 334 Posts
    DO NOT EVER LICK YOUR HEADSHELL

man, this is what destroys tonearms and headshells.

your saliva will lead to the corosion (sic?) of any parts it comes in contact with. I had to spend nearly 180 to fix a tonearm with a stuck contact point for the headshell goes in.if you had a cocktail before you did this then the sugars in your saliva just make it even worse.

seriously, never do this.

use an eraser from a pencil or your finger.

• DescryDescry 229 Posts
    the turntable's so old, the screws on the sides of the tonearm were starting to get rusty. the bearings started to go too. it's got 20 years on it, and the dude who owned them before me never tuned it up. just took it into the shop today for some deep cleaning, and to fix my jacked tonearm. cheaper than buying a whole new turntable...i hope.