Mishaps at record stores

matamaticmatamatic 488 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
So I'm out looking for records the other day and pull out some okay stuff. Some hip hop I passed up on back in the day and what not. Couldn't find too much hip hop I needed so I start lookin in the soul section and pull out an lp I want to listen to. When I was done browsing around I check out the record at the listening station. Played the first song and decided I wanted to buy it. Go to the counter to pay( took a while because a few of them hadn't been priced, including the soul record). Gives me a price for the whole stack and I say cool and pay... Get back to the hotel and the records not there???!!! DAG....

Comments

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Doesn't sound like a mishap, hoLmes. Sounds like you got got!

• go back.

• matamaticmatamatic 488 Posts
    It was an out of town mission so I can't go back. I'm not trippin anymore but at first I was second guessing myself like "didn't I pull that record out?". But by me being annoyed by it I just realized I have look at it like it's "just" a record. Records come and records go. It just sucks that it had to happen like that. I would have rather had the dude tell me that it's not for sale and it would have been cool. Oh yeah when dude was pricing the stack, I left the counter and sifted through some more racks. I guess you got to watch your records even when they get to the counter.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    what record was it?

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Bought 2 needles at a store. Got home and one of the boxes was empty. Went back and they said "how do we know you didn't just take it out". I flipped! "Yea, dude....I've spend thousands of dollars here over the year slowly gaining your trust so I could con you out of a $50 needle!" WFT! They wouldn't budge, so I let them know they just lost a customer. Never went back and told many others not to go there.

I realize DJ's are shady, but these guys are just boneheads.

I told a friend that story and he told me about the time he got a transformer from them got it home and realized the trasformer in the box was not what was labled on the box. He took it back and they said "how do we know you didn't use it a bring it back". He flipped! "Because it doesn't fit my mixer! The box was mis labeled!" He had to have a 10 min bitch session before they finally gave in.

• matamaticmatamatic 488 Posts
    a little dude record..nothing major

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    WFT! They wouldn't budge, so I let them know they just lost a customer. Never went back and told many others not to go there.

Dude? I would've taken my $50 worth back, or I would've tried to burn that fucker to the ground.

- spidey

• TrueStuTrueStu 91 Posts
    I used to work at Waterloo records in Austin. There's a public bathroom there and an employee one. The employee one was constantly being used, so we had to use the public one often, which was not in some hidden corridor, but opened right in the CD section without a stall.. just a toilet and sink. The lock on the public one started to have problems and my co-worker got walked in on taking a shit when the store was really crowded. I'd say at least 20 people saw him taking a dump.

• leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts
    are mishaps like the new mashups?

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    WFT! They wouldn't budge, so I let them know they just lost a customer. Never went back and told many others not to go there.

Dude? I would've taken my $50 worth back, or I would've tried to burn that fucker to the ground.

- spidey

Seriously-- it's shit like that that makes me want to chuck bricks through store windows.

I hate it when you find a nice deal in the stacks at a record store, then bring it up to the counter and the clerk plays that, "Oh, that wasn't supposed to be out on the floor, it's from the private collection" game.

I recently made a trip to the store, and when I got back I was missing a container of yogurt and some aloe Irish Spring soap. I done got played again by the supermarket.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I used to work at Waterloo records in Austin. There's a public bathroom there and an employee one. The employee one was constantly being used, so we had to use the public one often, which was not in some hidden corridor, but opened right in the CD section without a stall.. just a toilet and sink. The lock on the public one started to have problems and my co-worker got walked in on taking a shit when the store was really crowded. I'd say at least 20 people saw him taking a dump.

HAHAHAHA

• bass_feverbass_fever 974 Posts

HAHAHAHA

Yeah, but whats the worst is when you get the strong urge to dump when you are in the middle of digging...Most record store that I go to either don't let the public use the toilet or they have it locked and you have to get a key...So you have to go up there and get the key and come back 20 min. later, and they know you just blew up their toilet...How akward? I usually dig on the weedends after I had been out partying the night b4, so its usually pretty foul anyways...Nevertheless the urge always pops up...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Seems like alot of dudes on this board have trouble
    holding in their deuces until they can get somewhere
    private and comfortable. I mean, yeah, there's always
    that one time when you have a double latte after eating
    a rice & beans platter el pastor, and there can be no
    waiting - but me, personally, unless I am at defcon 2
    I am doing everything I can to avoid sitting on a public
    toilet seat. And that's word.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts

HAHAHAHA

Yeah, but whats the worst is when you get the strong urge to dump when you are in the middle of digging...Most record store that I go to either don't let the public use the toilet or they have it locked and you have to get a key...So you have to go up there and get the key and come back 20 min. later, and they know you just blew up their toilet...How akward? I usually dig on the weedends after I had been out partying the night b4, so its usually pretty foul anyways...Nevertheless the urge always pops up...

I used to let everyone use the one bathroom in the shop but one guy ruined it. We were pretty busy one Saturday night and dude asked if we had a bathroom. "Sure" I said. Guy was in there for a good 20 minutes. He finally came out sweating and panting and wiping his brow. The entire store stunk and I had to clean the toilet. Never again.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    So I'm out looking for records the other day and pull out some okay stuff. Some hip hop I passed up on back in the day and what not. Couldn't find too much hip hop I needed so I start lookin in the soul section and pull out an lp I want to listen to. When I was done browsing around I check out the record at the listening station. Played the first song and decided I wanted to buy it. Go to the counter to pay( took a while because a few of them hadn't been priced, including the soul record). Gives me a price for the whole stack and I say cool and pay... Get back to the hotel and the records not there???!!! DAG....

I bought from this old jamaican guy in central FL, not a store, just a guy. I would bring my selections to him after rummaging around in his garage and he would have to listen to every album slowly. Then if he wanted to keep it (90% of them) he would quietly drop it behind a chair or throw it under a table, but not say anything to me, so by the end he had basically re-hidden everything I picked out. And I'm standing there saying "now I KNOW there was a jackie mittoo in here..."

I went back more times than I should have to deal with that bullshit.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I understand that frustration, and of course he shouldn't have invited you in the first place if he wasn't trying to deal, but every old Jamaican guy I've ever dealt with has pulled stuff out of my stack to keep. "Yu cyant take mi Wailers!"

I mean, they still belong to the guy, god forbid he should want to keep some of them...

• I used to work at Waterloo records in Austin. There's a public bathroom there and an employee one. The employee one was constantly being used, so we had to use the public one often, which was not in some hidden corridor, but opened right in the CD section without a stall.. just a toilet and sink. The lock on the public one started to have problems and my co-worker got walked in on taking a shit when the store was really crowded. I'd say at least 20 people saw him taking a dump.

HAHAHAHA

So true. And if Im finding great records I get excited, and when I get excited I have to take the browns to the super bowl even more so.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Sometimes I have had people walk off with records that were on the counter, after placing their stack on top of them... that shit is awful

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    Sometimes I have had people walk off with records that were on the counter, after placing their stack on top of them... that shit is awful

That happened to me, only they charged me for it without me realising... $10 for Sergio Mendes?

• Not a record mishap, but i've got this one store here that's pretty much unknown. I'd say at least 10,000 vinyls, but the guy is an old bum... he does not even know what the internet is. Not a single piece is priced, he uses some horrible outdated pricebook that not even a noob would use. So you bring up pieces like mandrill composite truth and he looks it over reads his book and then says $30 i laugh and graciously tell him whatever, then i bring up joe bataan riot mono and he looks it over reads his book with a reply of $60 i gladly put that money down. The selection at the store is great but having to hear him cry about "i gotta make a buck or two" gets kinda annoying. Afterall he is making a lot of money cause i see people unload boxes upon boxes to him for free.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts

That happened to me, only they charged me for it without me realising... $10 for Sergio Mendes?

Was it this one?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Was it this one?

Ten dollars!?

Dude got over!

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    Afterall he is making a lot of money cause i see people unload boxes upon boxes to him for free.

People unload boxes upon boxes of free shit to our shop too, and usually its the garbage we pass on. Free does not equal $$$$. Keeping the doors open at a record shop is tough... especially when you must rely on cheapskate customers to support you.

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts

Was it this one?

Ten dollars!?

Dude got over!

Yeah, I'm a real baller! Seriously though, paying for records you don't want isn't a good look. But at least my bowels don't me any problems.