Do vegans hate ice cream?

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
Kala's rant makes me wonder if such visceral hatred of cheese products also extends to other dairy goods like ice cream. (Yes, I'm putting out catnip for some Angry Struttin)

Comments

• I'd kill a vegan for some good frozen custard.

• IronfeetIronfeet 516 Posts
    I think the only Ice Cream a Vegan can handle is:

• Proponents of organic food are pretty stupid, too.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Proponents of organic food are pretty stupid, too.

Do tell.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    do vegan ho's swallow?

• Proponents of organic food are pretty stupid, too.

Do tell.

Lifestyle grocery shopping that's ignorant. It's a waste of money. Negligible difference between organic and traditional. Assumes that traditional farmers are know-nothings trying to poison people to reap profits.

I'm OK with buying local, however, unless the product is shit.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    do vegan ho's swallow?

Haaaaaahahaha what's up Tonino?

just peering in on the madness, gianni
    whatuppa to you too,bro

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    do vegan ho's swallow?

In my experience, no.

youre with the strict ones then

wasssssssssssssup hulllla Joe!!!!!!!!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    just peering in on the madness, gianni
    whatuppa to you too,bro

I gotta make it down to see you in Philly soon. What goes on? Or should I say, "what cracketh?"

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I can't mess with ice cream at all now that my stomach has adjusted to a dairy-free diet. Ice cream = instant stomach ache. I used to love it.

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    youre with the strict ones then

wasssssssssssssup hulllla Joe!!!!!!!!

Not much, it's summer so I'm just hanging out and spending a lot of time paddling.

I gotta say, my current favorite ice cream is vegan. A can of coconut milk, couple apple bananas, a cup of blackberries, 2/3 cup of sugar and some cardamom. Throw that in the ice cream maker and it's game over.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Proponents of organic food are pretty stupid, too.

Do tell.

Lifestyle grocery shopping that's ignorant. It's a waste of money. Negligible difference between organic and traditional. Assumes that traditional farmers are know-nothings trying to poison people to reap profits.

I'm OK with buying local, however, unless the product is shit.

All my shit is imported.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Assumes that traditional farmers are know-nothings trying to poison people to reap profits.

I think it's more a (not-unfounded) assumption about corporate farm operations that sacrifice quality control in favor of the bottom line. But then again, I'm not a hardcore organics type of person.

Vegans always make me think of that episode of The Simpsons where Lisa gets a crush on the vegan environmentalist dude. "I'm a fifth-level vegan--I won't eat anything that casts a shadow."

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    "I'm a fifth-level vegan--I won't eat anything that casts a shadow."

I used to use this line all the time in my vegan days. I made it 5 years until my job had me traveling to podunk VA towns all the time. I got real tired of Taco Bell burritos with no cheese and finally slid back into vegetarianism.

Anyway.. this shit is the truth:

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    Opponents[/b] of organic food are pretty stupid, too.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    yeah o dub

me and my militant vegan crew sit out front baskin robbins and merck fools as they come out the door

"what ,you eatin rocky road bitch???"
    time fo a beat down dairy queen ho.......

again if you do the research -bovine growth hormones,antibiotics and steroids are in all comercial dairy products-no if ands or buts

{cow's milk is for baby cows rant rant etc}

this is to maximize the amount of milk coming out of a factory farmed cow
    [who in fact does lead a shitty caged up life]
    these huge corporations could give a fuck about you and your health
    at the end of the day it's all about profit on some skkkumbag CEO's excel spreadsheet.

as for my hate of cheese-i grew up dirt poor and yes me and moms was eatin gov't cheese sanwhichs for a minute as a child/youth

and i don't digest that poison so well either[lactose intolerant]

then as i got older i dated a chick who turned me onto "the lifestyly"
    [rasta goddess /peta freak animal lover]
    then started going to jamaica and was exposed to "ital" and "natural living"
    from true rasta gentlemen and women
    enlightenment soon followed

you are a fool if you think there is no difference between a local organic farmed product and a factory farmed vegetable grown with genetically modified seeds from monsanto,sprayed with herbicides and pesticides in soil that has no mineral content in it

again life is short eat what ever the fuck floats your gut,but it all means something
    and you are supporting multi -death -corp -rot -nations by eating conventional dreck

i am not alone ,as evidenced by a 30-40 % market growth every year in the organic category

wal mart and such now have to carry organic items because of the demand and also because of the rise of whole foods and wild oats

• What benefits have you discovered?

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    If you have ever been to the Farmers Market, you can taste the difference between the fresh, local, organic stuff and the stuff at major grocery chains. If you don't taste it I question your taste buds.

There is truth to the statement that labeling something "organic" really doesn't mean shit if you get it at Safeway. Buying local is the most important element of this.

Back to the subject, almost every vegan I know (mostly of the female persuasion) has gone through at least a dozen vegan ice creams trying to find the optimal replacement. They range from disgusting to pretty damn good, but hell if I will ever swap some Ben & Jerry's for some vegan stuff. Never that.

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    I can't mess with ice cream at all now that my stomach has adjusted to a dairy-free diet. Ice cream = instant stomach ache. I used to love it.

same plus kraft mac n cheese. i can make it with water but its just not the same.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts

no doubt
    choclate decadence is bond

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    What benefits have you discovered?

:angerstrut: you need to stop speaking on that which you know nothing of. :/angerstrut:

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    yeah o dub

me and my militant vegan crew sit out front baskin robbins and merck fools as they come out the door

If only this were true.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    What benefits have you discovered?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetically_modified_organism

I like my shit

• yeah o dub

again if you do the research -bovine growth hormones,antibiotics and steroids are in all comercial dairy products-no if ands or buts

at the end of the day it's all about profit on some skkkumbag CEO's excel spreadsheet.

as for my hate of cheese-i grew up dirt poor and yes me and moms was eatin gov't cheese sanwhichs for a minute as a child/youth

you are a fool if you think there is no difference between a local organic farmed product and a factory farmed vegetable grown with genetically modified seeds from monsanto,sprayed with herbicides and pesticides in soil that has no mineral content in it

again life is short eat what ever the fuck floats your gut,but it all means something
    and you are supporting multi -death -corp -rot -nations by eating conventional dreck

i am not alone ,as evidenced by a 30-40 % market growth every year in the organic category

wal mart and such now have to carry organic items because of the demand and also because of the rise of whole foods and wild oats

This is all kneejerk, reactionary, ignorant, bullshit propaganda. Most states in the Midwest -- you know, the breadbasket of the US -- have anti-corporate agriculture laws. By all means, though, keep pointing to whatever spreadsheet makes you feel better about your hilarious rasta lifestyle.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    yeah o dub

This is all kneejerk, reactionary, ignorant, bullshit propaganda. Most states in the Midwest -- you know, the breadbasket of the US -- have anti-corporate agriculture laws. By all means, though, keep pointing to whatever spreadsheet makes you feel better about your hilarious rasta lifestyle.

THE DOLO LEGACY LIVES!

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    local seasonal produce > organic (mystery marketing term)

• What benefits have you discovered?

Wikipedia, huh? Hilarious.

Is that article peer reviewed by scientists, like the one on the myths of organic farming published in "Nature Magazine"?

• anasarcasmanasarcasm 365 Posts
    The organics debate will rage on forever. Strictly from a taste standpoint, nothing beats the freshest local produce. It's also nice to have actual human interaction when you buy ingredients, know exactly where they are coming from, and have the option of inquiring about farming practices. From an environmental perspective buying "in season" and locally is ideal, because it cuts out the middle man...i.e. the added gas to ship the food, electricity to power the freezers, and on and on. There are many layers to the issue of why one should bother with organics, but I think health and the environment, are major considerations. That being said, organics are expensive and are being niche marketed out of control. Buy what your budget allows....lots of it, especially the prepackaged nonsense, is hype. (imo)

Ah, woops wasn't this originally about ice cream to begin with? Homemade lychee or mango sorbet all the way.

That homemade coconut ice cream sounds delicious! Rey and Edulus, you should try this recipe for Mac N Cheez. I think it's better than the og. Not the most nutritious meal in the world, but damn it's good! Adapted by my friend Paul, we use a little less oil and it comes out just fine.

This is my favorite nutritional yeast recipe.

(Fom the New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook, but I've modified it a bit.My changes are noted in the parentheses.)

3 1/2 cups large elbow macaroni
    1/2 cup (aka 1 stick of margarine)
    1/2 cup flour
    3 1/2 cups boiling water
    1-1/2 teaspoons salt
    2 tablespoons soy sauce
    1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
    pinch of tumeric
    2 cups nutritional yeast
    brown mustard
    paprika to taste

Cook 3-1/2 cups macaroni. In saucepan, melt 1/2 cup margarine over low heat.
    Beat in 1/2 cup flour with a wire whisk and continue to beat over a medium flame until the mixture is smooth and bubbly.
    Whip in 3-1/2 cups boiling water, 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder, and a pinch of tumeric, beating well.
    The sauce should cook until it thickens and bubbles.

Then whip in 1/4 cup oil and 1 cup nutritional yeast (I use 2 cups--I think it's a lot better).
    (At this point, I also add some brown mustard.)
    Mix part of the sauce with the noodles and put in casserole dish.
    (Be generous here--you want all the noodles to be well-coated.)
    Pour the rest of the sauce on top.
    Sprinkle with paprika and bake for 15 minutes in a 350 degrees preheated oven.
    Put in broiler for a few minutes until sauce gets stretchy and crisp

Serve with oven roasted brussel sprouts. yum.