Imagine this...

eliseelise 3,252 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
A Polish man has woken up from a 19-year coma to find the Communist party no longer in power and food no longer rationed, Polish TV reports.[/b] Railway worker Jan Grzebski, 65, fell into a coma after he was hit by a train in 1988."Now I see people on the streets with mobile phones and there are so many goods in the shops it makes my head spin," he told Polish television.He credits his survival to his wife, Gertruda, who cared for him.Doctors gave him only two or three years to live after the accident.A comatose patient is in a profound state of unconsciousness which renders them unaware of both self and the world around them, and from which they cannot be roused.Although those in a coma do not respond to stimuli in a meaningful way, contrary to popular belief they do not always lie quiet and still - in some cases they can move, open their eyes and even talk.Fall of communists"It was Gertruda that saved me, and I'll never forget it," Mr Grzebski told news channel TVN24 of his recovery.Mrs Grzebski is reported to have moved her husband every hour to prevent bed sores."I cried a lot, and I prayed a lot," Mrs Grzebski said on Polsat television."Those who came to see us kept asking: 'When is he going to die?' But he's not dead."When Mr Grzebski had his accident Poland was still ruled by its last communist leader, Wojciech Jaruzelski."When I went into a coma there was only tea and vinegar in the shops, meat was rationed and huge petrol queues were everywhere," Mr Grzebski said.The following year's elections ushered in eastern Europe's first post-communist government.Poland joined the Nato alliance in 1999 and the European Union in 2004."What amazes me today is all these people who walk around with their mobile phones and never stop moaning," said Mr Grzebski."I've got nothing to complain about."

Comments

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Almost 20 YEARS[/b]

indeed.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    wow. That's a testiment to true love. If they are still in love after all this time that would be incredible. I wonder if two weeks from now she'll be sick of him becaue he is so

"honey, why are you waving your hands so violently at the television screen?"

"It's a wii. they invented a few things while you took your nap."

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Mrs Grzebski is reported to have moved her husband every hour to prevent bed sores.

dayum. I dont know if I could even do that it in my current situation.

(hi bozak!)

• bozakbozak 334 Posts
    I told you to keep my name outcha damn mouf!

now GIT yo ass to the store....

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    I told you to keep my name outcha damn mouf!

now GIT yo ass to the store....

Are you guys posting upstairs/ downstairs style or are in in the same room talking to each other?
    Either way kinda funny, kinda weird and truly

But Yeah, that 20 years in a coma thing is nuts.

Reminds me of this movie:

Not Mr. Walkens best but memorable none the less. What a trip it would be to re-adjust to life in general, learning how to walk and talk, let alone finding out about all the crazy technology advances and 20 years of world history.

thats crazy, and way cool that he came back.

• bozakbozak 334 Posts
    imagine what that was like on his end....to shut his eyes and open them to a world that has seen two decades of change.

he probobly thought wifey was his mother in law

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I wonder how much of his past life he still remembers...

craziness.

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    The news was reported here in Germany too. But a day later they reported that the news was false in a way.

This dude was not 19 years totaly off of this world. He was in coma only 4 years. Than he wacked up, but he couldnt move anything on his body.

He watched TV, he saw the first steps of his aunt, but he couldnt say or move anything.

Now 19 years after his accident he is able to move again and that is a wonder in itself, but no 19 year long coma as originaly reported.

Peace
    Hawkeye

• YemskyYemsky 708 Posts
    Reminds me of this movie: