In response to Postage Rates debate.

knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
In response to many questions about the recent hike in postage rates. I went to my local post office today with a few packages to weigh, and received quotes for how much it cost to send each one to various locations. Keep in mind, that I am in the Washington DC area (although, these numbers should be fairly consistent with anyone stateside). I chose my US destination to be California, as it would be the farthest I would have to send a package in the states, and thus the most expensive. The other two locations were London, and Tokyo.*note that these rates are for LPs only, using record-mailer boxes (from Bags Unlimited).1LP (w/ cardboard backing)to California (Priority Mail, no extras) = $4.60to London (Airmail, no extras) = $12.00to Tokyo (Airmail, no extras) = $10.102LPsto California (Priority Mail, no extras) = $7.50to London (Airmail, no extras) = $15.20to Tokyo (Airmail, no extras) = $14.453LPsto California (Priority Mail, no extras) = $7.50to London (Airmail, no extras) = $16.80to Tokyo (Airmail, no extras) = $15.90*forgot to mention, that these rates do not reflect the cost of gas to post office. haha

Comments

• I don't know how you're able to ship priority from DC to Calif. for only $4.60. It's costing me $7 from Calif. to the east coast now. Weird. Is this a dynaflex disc with an ultraflimsy cover or something?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

1LP (w/ cardboard backing)
    to California (Priority Mail, no extras) = $4.60
    to London (Airmail, no extras) = $12.00
    to Tokyo (Airmail, no extras) = $10.10

your Priority rate doesn't match my experience, that's the 1-lb rate which my packages always tend to outweigh.

How many pads are you using?

I am in NYC. The rate for one LP in a brasspack mailer, with two inserts, poly, and separate sleeve is as follows, NOT including packaging/handling:

to California (2 lb rate, Priority): $7.50
    to UK (20 oz rate, airmail): $12.00
    to Tokyo (20 oz rate, airmail): $11.55

Surprising that Japan is now less than Europe.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    yeah, I the rates were lower than I expected too. I even asked the clerk to double check. I also made sure to use regular weight records. And in the case of the 1LP, there was one standard cardboard protective piece.
    The others with 2 and 3 LPs didnt need them as they proved to be sturdy enough.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Yeah, I put two inserts in every package - no exceptions. I don't trust foreign post offices to deliver the goods, and I go absolutely batshit when I open a package and realize I could've just sliced into one of the LPs I bought with my boxcutter.