Brazilian record shop Manhattan?

marumaru 1,450 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
is there a record shop in the east village that specializes in Brazilian records? i think it was in some NY record shops thread a while back but i can't find it. thanks

Comments

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    not for nothing, cause the guy who owns it is a really nice guy, but most of the stuff he has is "good" quality. Scratched and scuffed. Its on 2d Street in the East Village and its called Tropicalia in Furs.

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
    is there a record shop in the east village that specializes in Brazilian records? i think it was in some NY record shops thread a while back but i can't find it.

thanks

yes!

I did a post about it about a year ago or so. I just walked past it the other day too. I think it's on East 3rd between 1st and 2nd on the south side. I'll try searching the announcements cause I think that's where I posted it.

edit: what our contrarian friend sabadabada said.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    not for nothing, cause the guy who owns it is a really nice guy, but most of the stuff he has is "good" quality. Scratched and scuffed. Its on 2d Street in the East Village and its called Tropicalia in Furs.

prices? seems a lot of brazilian shit i find is kind of beat, but i don't mind copping anyways if the prices are decent.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    they're not. Your better off paying the extra $20 to get them mailed from a good seller in brazil.

but its a cool place to just go and hang out in for a while, but ususally I end up buying something only because i feel obligated.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    mailed from a good seller in brazil.

PM me some contacts, please.

• not for nothing, cause the guy who owns it is a really nice guy, but most of the stuff he has is "good" quality. Scratched and scuffed. Its on 2d Street in the East Village and its called Tropicalia in Furs.

prices? seems a lot of brazilian shit i find is kind of beat, but i don't mind copping anyways if the prices are decent.

His prices are high based on what I saw at FMU.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    Its actually on 5th St.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    i went in in september of last year- cute chick working there (although it's hazy, could have been a week of solid drinking and a head pounding hangover). I bought "Oh! That's Nice!" which isn't even a brazil record.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    i went in in september of last year- cute chick working there (although it's hazy, could have been a week of solid drinking and a head pounding hangover). I bought "Oh! That's Nice!" which isn't even a brazil record.

She's boinking the owner. haha, I meant she's mad cool.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    boinking, huh? sounds serious.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Single guys of NYC are hoping not. Or so I hear!

• johnshadejohnshade 577 Posts
    when i was in there in february, i stopped by this store and thought he had some real quality pieces actually. prices? maybe a bit high. but it is nyc. and it is brazilian music. in the east village. in a boutique-type store. so i don't think it's the best spot for a bargain. there is a listening station, though, and i really didn't mind just listening to some of the rarer stuff without buying it, or he'd put something on the store system that i'd never heard of before and tell me about it, which was cool as well. not a bad way to spend an hour or two, if you ask me.