How did you propose? (Wedding Related)

DJ_ZestDJ_Zest 252 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
So how did you propose to your spouse?Mine was Christmas morning... I'm sure some of you had some methods of proposing!

Comments

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    on my knee.

• DJ_ZestDJ_Zest 252 Posts
    on my knee.
    Harhar, I'm talking did you go to fancy dinner, go to a place that is special to her etc...

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    laying in bed in a monterey hotel room after a valentines weekend get-away.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    So how did you propose to your spouse?
    Mine was Christmas morning... I'm sure some of you had some methods of proposing!

Legal Strut Note:

Now, an engagement ring is considered a gift in contemplation of marriage and so if the engagement is broken off, the donor is allowed to get the ring back. But if you give the ring on Christmas or Valentines Day could it be argued that it is just a straight up gift and unretrievable in the event the engagement is broken off?

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    my girl knows that a proposal is coming sometime this summer. i wanted to know what shape she wanted before i spent a lot of money (relatively speaking) on a ring.

i'm debating between doing something casual or trying to get real creative....which could always backfire.

its getting close to her birthday, what about taking her to a nice spot and having the waiter bring out a cake that says "happy birthday...will you marry me?"

any good?

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    I proposed before we went out for a fancy dinner/night on the town. It was great because we got to go out and celebrate all night and I wasn't stressed out the whole time.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    oh gaaawwwd.
    you sound like chicks.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    i worked out words i wanted to tell the wife for a week or more. however when the time came down to do the asking i forgot the whole thing.

make plans but dont OVER plan. first you make plans and then life intervenes. if she loves you it wont matter what you do. just do it...

• plkbrynplkbryn 159 Posts
    So how did you propose to your spouse?
    Mine was Christmas morning... I'm sure some of you had some methods of proposing!

Legal Strut Note:

Now, an engagement ring is considered a gift in contemplation of marriage and so if the engagement is broken off, the donor is allowed to get the ring back. But if you give the ring on Christmas or Valentines Day could it be argued that it is just a straight up gift and unretrievable in the event the engagement is broken off?

in california, the rule is codified (civ. code ?? 1590) and is essentially a totality of the circumstances test -- so although the particular day that the ring was given might be a factor, it probably wouldn't tip the scales in favor of an ex-finance retaining the ring.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    On the beach at Big Sur.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    KVH, having talked about this with many women... as its something I'm getting ready to do... the only thing I can say about your idea is... ASK HER. Do not allow a cake, or anything else, to do the talking for you, and definitely do not beat around the bush like one fella I know who said "so, lets get married then" or another that pulled out his ring and asked, "so... which finger does this go on?" Both people probably thought they were being slick or coy but the women were both disappointed. Bottom line is girls want you to ASK "will you marry me?" four words. Everything else is superfluous.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Wimped out on the Carriage Ride.... Popped the Question on top of a boulder in Central Park.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    KVH, having talked about this with many women... as its something I'm getting ready to do... the only thing I can say about your idea is... ASK HER. Do not allow a cake, or anything else, to do the talking for you, and definitely do not beat around the bush like one fella I know who said "so, lets get married then" or another that pulled out his ring and asked, "so... which finger does this go on?" Both people probably thought they were being slick or coy but the women were both disappointed. Bottom line is girls want you to ASK "will you marry me?" four words. Everything else is superfluous.

The truth. Be a fucking man about it.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    and definitely do not beat around the bush like one fella I know who said "so, lets get married then"

. this knocks out my second choice, which was to sit her down and recite the lyrics to the lets get married remix.

"we ain't gettin' no younger girl, we might as well do this..."

seriously though. i hear you and i now think my cake idea was pretty shitty.

• GenePontecorvoGenePontecorvo 5,612 Posts
    Cooked up a nice dinner. Bended knee after: "Will you marry me?"

It wasn't a surprise (she knew it was coming) so I just went straight traditional.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Popped the Question on top of a boulder in Central Park.

Oh shit... I did the same.

On some huge rock just a bit down from the boathouse restaurant.

Ended up not working out Thank gawd. Much happier now...

• KaushikKaushik 320 Posts
    Traditional approach with a bit of personal flair works well. I asked my wife the traditional question, in a nice romantic setting, and she knew it was coming. But I didn't show her the ring right away, I had it in a fancy box with all the trimmings, she had to open it and see for herself. Built up her anticipation and it went over really well.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    we were having dinner out one night and the woman from the couple at the next table went to the bathroom and the guy sprung up and went to talk to the staff. she came back, they brought out a dessert with the ring as the centre-piece. he goes to her side and gets on one knee and asks her to marry him. from the minute she realized what was going on - and I get that she was shocked and I guess weirded out because he was on his knee and everyone in the place was looking - she kept saying, "oh my god, you're such a loser" in that embarrassed-covering-her-mouth-laughing-we're-close-enough-that-I-can-call-you-that kind of way. and kept saying it. she said yes, we all clapped, he sat back down, but she kept saying it!
    I thought this was not a very cool thing to do; dude just put himself out there and took a chance on public rejection and it seemed like a bad sign for things to come imo if that's how she talks to him during the happy moments!

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    On a beach in Tasmania last November. We'd taken an all day boat ride where we saw porpoises and ate oysters and drank some nice Aussie white wine. We then had a nice nap at our cabin. At sunset we went for a beach walk. I dropped to one knee on a boulder at the edge of the surf and popped the question. Luckily she said yes.
    I had to carry the ring with me to Australia and was worried that customs would open up my luggage in front of my girlfriend (now wife)i thus ruinng the surprise .

• dj_netadj_neta 166 Posts
    we were having dinner out one night and the woman from the couple at the next table went to the bathroom and the guy sprung up and went to talk to the staff. she came back, they brought out a dessert with the ring as the centre-piece. he goes to her side and gets on one knee and asks her to marry him. from the minute she realized what was going on - and I get that she was shocked and I guess weirded out because he was on his knee and everyone in the place was looking - she kept saying, "oh my god, you're such a loser" in that embarrassed-covering-her-mouth-laughing-we're-close-enough-that-I-can-call-you-that kind of way. and kept saying it. she said yes, we all clapped, he sat back down, but she kept saying it!
    I thought this was not a very cool thing to do; dude just put himself out there and took a chance on public rejection and it seemed like a bad sign for things to come imo if that's how she talks to him during the happy moments!

Maybe the moral here is to avoid anything too clich??. (Although Bassie's right: no need for homegirl to denigrate the poor guy, even lovingly.)

Every woman is different and I'm sure some prefer the proposal via a dessert centre-piece or a hot balloon ride or written in the sky or MLB scoreboard blast or some other chick-flick-inspired method.

KVH, I say forget all those other contrived plans for a minute: how and where do you think your girl would want to be asked? Would she want you to ask her in front of lots of people, or would that embarrass her? Would she want you to set up some unique type of romantic moment so she can expect the question, or do you think she'd rather be completely surprised in some more casual every-day sort of setting? You know her best so...

Good luck!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Me and my now-wife were sitting around in our then-SF apt, we had gotten our daughter down to bed, turned to each other and asked, "should we just get married?" "Well, we have a kid together, might as well." "Ok."

No ring.
    No bended knee.
    No cake/strippergram/ridethroughthepark/etc.

Got married about three months later in a lovely daytime potluck party in the backyard of a friend of mine. Friends only save immediate family.

Seriously, after you have a kid with someone, marriage is practically an afterthought.

I love being married. Just glad we got to skip all the pomp and circumstance though I appreciate a lot of folks like said pomp and circumstance.

(Further note, I'm writing this, wearing a cap, gown and hood, during my college's graduation ceremonies. Clearly, I'm not above a lil p&c either. I just wish I wasn't wearing all black, outdoors, in 80 degree weather).

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    definitely do not beat around the bush like one fella I know who said "so, lets get married then"

He sounds British!

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    I bought her a custom forum title that read "Will you marry me?" She PMed me "yes."

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Just proposed a few months ago...

Took my girl out to a really nice dinner. After that we walked on home and stopped at this perfect lookout point with a great view. I dropped to my knee and asked the four words. She said yes and now we are planning the wedding.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    definitely do not beat around the bush like one fella I know who said "so, lets get married then"

He sounds British!

He is. And I believe he thought he was being "cheeky".

Now, we all can't be romantic Don Juans like the one O-Dub.

speaking of which,

no ring

I know it takes all kinds or whatever, but wifey is NOT having that.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    I surprised my wife with a ring at our usual Sunday brunch. When I first I asked my wife to go out with me it was on the 23rd of the month so month to month we'll say "happy 23rd" to celebrate another month together. We don't usually get each other gifts so when I pulled a box out of the trunk on the way into the restaurant (on the 23rd) she wasn't expecting it at all.

I bought her a small silk covered jewelry box and put the ring box covered in tissue paper inside of it, then wrapped all of that in another box. After she opened the ring box she just put it to the side and didn't dig further. The whole time I was sitting there waiting on her to find the ring box inside. After a while she finally found it and that is when I proposed.

As far as weddings go I got married in Vegas and highly recommend it to everyone. All of our best friends and family showed up for a 15 minute ceremony. We saved thousands of dollars and spent the money on a honeymoon trip through Europe instead.

http://www.littlechurchlv.com/

-billb

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Under some willow trees in the East Village.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    I bought her a custom forum title that read "Will you marry me?" She PMed me "yes."

WUZ IT FREAKY TRACEY, DAWG?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

More importantly: what were you wearing?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

More importantly: what were you wearing?

lol..........

Rod Laver's