Are You Rooting For Barry Bonds

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
To break the best known record in American sports??

Comments

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    HELL YES.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    He's going to do it... I think there should be an asterisk next to his name... but I root for Bonds... he is an incredible talent.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I think he has been unfairly scapegoated for an issue that is widespread and was essentially condoned by the league brass. So even though he cheated I say fuck the league and the press. go Barry.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    HELL YES.

• plkbrynplkbryn 159 Posts
    putting aside the steroid issue, i have a hard time rooting for a complete, albeit supremely talented, asshole.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Hell no. I've disliked him since I was a Pirates fan.

Side note: Hammerin' Hank has already stated that he won't be attending any of the surrounding festivities.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    andyvanslykeraer

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    HELL YES.

i have a hard time rooting for a complete, albeit supremely talented, asshole.

you have probably rooted for talented assholes all your life; you just didn't realize it.

• leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts
    HELL NO

I happened to catch Bonds last summer when he was playing here in Pittsburgh, He was having an off-nite and it was incredible. Non stop booing anytime he was up to bat or made any kind of play. One particularly ugly whiff landed him square on his ass on home plate, to which the crowd responded with a huge chorus of cheers. I'm not a mean-spirited individual, but it was fucking awesome!

• plkbrynplkbryn 159 Posts
    i have a hard time rooting for a complete, albeit supremely talented, asshole.

you have probably rooted for talented assholes all your life; you just didn't realize it.

probably true, but i guess ignorance is bliss though.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    HELL YES.

• GenePontecorvoGenePontecorvo 5,612 Posts
    How can you cats be like "Hell Yes". Dude cheated, straight up and down. Check his domepiece on a 87 Fleer jammie than look at any late-career pics of Bones. How does your head get bigger in normal life?

He's a phenom, no doubt. I'm not down w/ any of the cheating though, Bones, McGwire, Sosa, Giambi....any of them cats. Hell, how did Brady Anderson bomb 50 one year?

But I can't root for a phenomenal record compiled by a true gentleman of sport to be broken by a cheater.

All that said, I'm really digging how low I got Bonds in the SS Fantasy League and I'm all about him racking up HRs and SBs this year.

Because I don't see it as simply as "dude cheated" it was some shit the entire league was in on, most of my childhood heroes were in on, we were all duped as fans, it's not Bonds' fault specifically but generally the fault of all these players, their managers, their teams, everyone... that said, Bonds is as nasty as they come and his skill is not strictly based upon how huge he is.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    HELL NO.

He's an ASS.

Because I don't see it as simply as "dude cheated" it was some shit the entire league was in on, most of my childhood heroes were in on, we were all duped as fans, it's not Bonds' fault specifically but generally the fault of all these players, their managers, their teams, everyone... that said, Bonds is as nasty as they come and his skill is not strictly based upon how huge he is.

Yeah, I'm down w/ that. That's why I don't give much creedence to many of the baseball statistical accomplishments in the steroid era. Cal Ripken Jr. excluded.

That's why I was hyped on Ryan Howard last year. Dude was bombing and it appears to my untrained eye based on his talent alone.

And Bones wasn't on steroids. HGH.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    HELL NO

exactly. a lot of starry-eyed basball fans hate, but the players , i.e. those that know what's up and that everyone is on some performance-enhancing something-or-other, those guys consistently rank Bonds as one of the best.

b/w being big doesn't affect one's ability to connect.

He was having an off-nite and it was incredible.

Non stop booing anytime he was up to bat or made any kind of play.

One particularly ugly whiff landed him square on his ass on home plate, to which the crowd responded with a huge chorus of cheers.

it was fucking awesome!

I'm not a mean-spirited individual[/b]

really though? you sound pretty mean-spirited. dude's just doing his thing.

a lot of starry-eyed basball fans hate, but the players , i.e. those that know what's up and that everyone is on some performance-enhancing something-or-other, those guys consistently rank Bonds as one of the best.

b/w being big doesn't affect one's ability to connect.

Fuck outta here w/ that starry-eyed bullshit holmes. You the one rockin Bay-colored glasses.

"You sound mean spirited"

"He's just doing his thing"

Bonds is mean spirited. Ask his teammates. And yes, he's all about HIS thing.

See his recent quote about memorabilia and how he gives a fuck about the Hall and he's collecting his momentos for himself. I can hear the cavalcade of apologists now. Baseball did a lot for that dude and his family, there's plenty to go around.....quit bein a douche Bonds.

Where does Hank Aaron fit into y'all fanboys appraisals of this situation? I can sorta see the Ruth hate on some "black power come-up typical SSer wet dream" maybe but Aaron shouldn't be behind a cheater on the list. Neither should Maris and them other dudes.

• leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts
    He was having an off-nite and it was incredible.

Non stop booing anytime he was up to bat or made any kind of play.

One particularly ugly whiff landed him square on his ass on home plate, to which the crowd responded with a huge chorus of cheers.

it was fucking awesome!

I'm not a mean-spirited individual[/b]

really though? you sound pretty mean-spirited. dude's just doing his thing.

OK, but trust me, i'm not mean-spirited.
    Hard to explain... just to experience such strong collective emotion among a stadium full of people was truly awesome, and it also has to do with the local culture here which is impossible to explain.

although, i also maintain that my original post does not make me mean-spirited. I write pretty carefully, because I do realize people here can pretty sensitive and you have to watch what you say. Read carefully- awesome and incredible are the two words for how the scene made me feel- full of awe and disbelief. I never said that I booed or cheered when he fell on his ass.

Besides, you always hear about how much of a jerk he is, so you can't help but enjoy seeing him looking like a fool. I don't think this is a characteristic of mean spirit. It's like being happy when the movie villain gets his.
    peace

EDIT: sorry, but i do find it amazing that after 900 peace-mongering, non-confrontational posts on Soul strut, that THIS is what i have to defend myself for! especially considering what goes on elsewhere on the board

Where does Hank Aaron fit into y'all fanboys appraisals of this situation?

Well I suppose I should go on record right here as saying that I am NOT a Giants fan... I am not to the point of saying "FUCK THE GIANTS" but I am on that other side of the Bay as far as my baseball allegiances... anyways, to the point, as I said... Bonds should have an asterisk... perhaps Aaron should remain on top, and bonds 2nd... I don't know, you definitely can't compare it. I'm still rooting for the cat though. Yalls some hattin ass hatters!

• ain't nobody can hit like Barry...muscle-bound or before...
    that dude has an incredible eye, incredible swing...hits to
    all fields...thats why all these teams STILL walk him more
    than 1nce per game...how old is he now? 44? that's respect
    and fear of what he'll do to a mistake by the pitcher...

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Hell no.

1. He's a total asshole

2. Baseball is eye-gougingly boring

andyvanslykeraer

Ha! I'd forgotten about him.

He had a great plan for increasing attendance: change the rules so that a foul ball caught by a fan would be considered an out, but only if hit by the visiting team.

all these arguments about how Bonds is a dick...

well how bout this Bonds hatteurs: I don't need my sports heros to be cool dudes.

for real the idea that I shouldn't ride for dude because he's supposedly an asshole is absurd. I don't give a fuck. I'm not an 11 yr-old kid that wants to feel like this guy cares about me or some shit. I am an adult and so is he. It's his job to hit homers for my team, which he does.

and like I said earlier half the sports players you think are "cool" prolly aren't. you don't know these dudes.

if these other cats were subject to half the scrutiny/media coverage that Bonds is they might not turn out to be the kinds of dudes you want to drinl 40s with.

I don't need my sports heros to be cool dudes.

Says the guy who implies that Chuck Lidell is a white supremacist.

I don't need my sports heros to be cool dudes.

Says the guy who implies that Chuck Lidell is a white supremacist.

^^^^ lol you guys need to quit with that! I never said dude was WP, I just think his little dance is disturbing...

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I don't like Barry Bonds.

I am rooting for him to break the HR record.

Not sure how exactly I justify it, I guess it's just to see how baseball handles the situation. It's an indictment against the league just as much as it is against Barry and the other major offenders.

• paulnicepaulnice 924 Posts

A great player is a great player, regardless if he's an asshole or not (ie: Babe Ruth for one).
    But is a great player still a great player whether he's on steroids or not?
    In Bond's case, I say yes.
    And it's too bad for him.
    Because years from now, no one will be able to look at his amazing record without having that little seed of doubt there.
    I don't care if everyone in the league is doing it. That's another issue.
    Sadly/ironically, dude would've most likely gotten there without 'roids anyway.

Oh, and on another completely different note... GO SAWX!!
    This weekend could very well decide the season for NY.
    Btw, did anyone see "Stray-Rod" fuck with Toronto's infield last night as he was headed towards third on a fly ball? He apparently called out "I got it! I got it!" much to the confusion of the third baseman who proceeded to let the ball drop in front of him!