one for the Aussie peeps

doughboydoughboy 190 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
Picked up a record on a hunch this afternoon... its a copy of The David Baker String Ensemble recording Basically Baker - it was recorded in Sydney in 1979/80?? Features Baker, playing Cello, with 3 other string players and what I assume is a local r/section Paul McNamara, Craig Scott & Barry Woods (know of Scott and McNamara - is Woods local too?).Didn't really look like my thing - I'm not huge on the whole string instrument as lead (Rene Cosy, Soulful Strings and Fourth Way aside), but I noticed it has a version of Le Miroir Noir on there. That track was used on the Groove Merchant comp Trippin and I can remember hearing that, but I'm pretty sure that was off a Abersold play-a-long record.This lloks like it was funded by the Australian Jazz Foundation & Larrakin Records... anything else floating round on that label worth grabbing?Am working (late into the night now) so haven't heard it as yet... you guys have any more info? Did a quick google / bay / gemm search without too much joy - one hit on a Japanese blog that seemed to list it as selling for a few yen.... actually it looked like the guy had collected all the OGs from Trippin

Comments

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Yeah, as far as I know, Baker was over doing something and recorded this album over here. the version of "Le Miroir Noir" is supposedly different to the one on the JA series play along record. It's pretty tough to find.

Overall the Larrikin lable is pretty crappy, but there are a few ok things on there.

• never come up on anything from that label that would have persuaded me to buy apart from my misguided have-to-find-all-vaguely-decent-records-from-my-country patriotism that seems to occasionally grip me.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    ...apart from my misguided have-to-find-all-vaguely-decent-records-from-my-country patriotism that seems to occasionally grip me.

hahaha Classic.

There's the odd thing though. Harbour Crossings springs to mind. Its got a nice little funky jazz track at the end.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    The back has the story about the album, I was first hipped to it 3 years ago by the universounds dudes in Japan... basically David Baker was in Australia working at a music conservetorium (sp) and did an album with kids, I guess they used his other record to learn the song and he recorded it. It's a one tracker and not as good as the "music minus one" shit, but very dope indeed and something which doesnt show up often (unlike every other piece of shit in the larikan catalog!!)