Everything was going so well until...

bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
Why do the back-up singers have to pronounce 'guy' guy-eeee in Hathaway's version of Jealous Guy?? The song is chugging along beautifully and then that happens - I have such a hard time recovering everytime. They take mercy and don't do it again when they come back in later on, but what the hell was that for? Also, the breakdown in Little Green Bag by the George Baker Selection - suddenly I'm listening to a Lawrence Welk party song. I usually lift the needle to move it forward to what's good, but then the song is too short and if I'm playing out and I've been enjoying a Wild Turkey or three, my accuracy tends to falter.What are some otherwise amazing songs that have that little thing that happens that drives you crazy and almost ruins the whole thing for you??

Comments

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    There are a lot of sax solos in songs from the 60s/70s/80s that have me running for the needle/FF button

I'm thinking Andre Williams, Sade, Hall & Oates......

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    There are a lot of sax solos in songs from the 60s/70s/80s that have me running for the needle/FF button

I'm thinking

sayin. the Sanborn effect.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    sax solos are thee worst. Next to unnessary bridges.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    i hate the saxamaphone.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    noodling wailing guitar solos in reggae songs - terrible, just terrible.

I know folks are creaming themselves over Wackies, but it is one of the worst offenders for this. (Don't get me wrong, I think they put out a lot of great music, but still!) Horace Andy's Prophecy is a good example of a great song ruined by wailing guitars. AK!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    noodling wailing guitar solos in reggae songs - terrible, just terrible.

Ha - personally, I love these!

Nothing, and I mean NOTHING destroys a song as fast as a kazoo.

There are a ton of 60's songs/albums that are going along great
    until somebody pulls out a kazoo, and I'm diving for the turntable.

• rocco2nrrocco2nr 530 Posts
    i love bob dylan but sometimes i'm just really feelin a laid back, melancholy track, and he busts in with that out of tune harmonica at 130db. I think he does it just to make sure you're still awake.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I'm not feelin' the flute. Never really dug that instrument.

Example that comes to mind: this Googie Rene cut ("Firebird"?) that appears on a Keb Darge compilation. Sounds great till some would-be Herbie Mann steps up to the mike...

I'm not feelin' the flute.

THERE'S NO SOUND IN THE FLUTE!!!

IM WORKING MY ASSOFF ON THE BANDSTAND AND WHAT DO YOU FUCKING LOSERS GIVE ME? CLAMS! ONE MORE FUCKING CLAM AND IM GETTING WHOLE NEW BAND. FUCK YOU! PULL THE BUS OVER NOW! YOURE FIRED.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    There is a tune on that Jamie Liddell MULTIPLY Lp that is almost perfect, but for one TRUMPET solo.

I'm thinking Andre Williams, Sade, Hall & Oates......

For me, sax solos were fine in the fifties and sixties! Can't front on Lee Allen, King Curtis, etc..

But then they made a comeback in the mid-seventies, with either Tom Scott, David Sanborn, or some imitator of the two cameoing on some yacht-rock hit, and that's when shit started to get mad corny.

Worst 1970's example: that brief sax bit on Thin Lizzy's otherwise fine "Running Back." It's only a few seconds, and if you haven't heard it in a long time you may not remember it, but it's there.

As far as 1970's rock goes, sax doesn't sound as snarky on uptempo rock like Springsteen as it does on, say, Leo Sayer.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts

As far as 1970's rock goes, sax doesn't sound as snarky on uptempo rock like Springsteen as it does on, say, Leo Sayer.

Umm...I think Clarence Clemmons is personally responsible for many of the offending Sax Solos we are all alluding to here.

It's tolerable.

But what fucks me up is to go from listening to Rollins or Coltrane on sax then to some rock sax stylee. It's too much.

But what fucks me up is to go from listening to Rollins or Coltrane on sax then to some rock sax stylee.

saxophones don't kill songs, people kill songs.

hahahahha...groan.

It's tolerable.

But what fucks me up is to go from listening to Rollins or Coltrane on sax then to some rock sax stylee. It's too much.

Depends on what you call rock sax...if it's on the R&B-ish Big Jay McNeely/Joe Houston/Junior Walker/King Curtis tip, fine. I like a lot of the sax heard in pre-Beatles instrumental rock, like Steve Douglas on those old Duane Eddy records. Or even the Coltrane-ish kind of stuff Steve Mackay was playing on the Stooges' Fun House. I forget who the sax player was with the Free Spirits, but he was freaking out harder and heavier than the guitarist (who was Larry Coryell)!

But too many times, rock sax does get monotonous and beside the point. Can't think of any examples right now, but ever heard the sax solos on Motown records like the Isley Brothers'"This Old Heart Of Mine"? Where the notes are in the low register and the solo never seems to go anywhere? Seems like most rock sax, post-'70s, sounds like that.

...if it's on the R&B-ish Big Jay McNeely/Joe Houston/Junior Walker/King Curtis tip, fine.

Hell yeah! The sax solo in "Smokey Joe's Cafe" is

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts

RAPHAEL RAVENSCROFT

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    wtf how do people hate pop sax solos w/ sade and hall&oates

why listen to sade at all, dorks

rock sax...

Roxy Music (Andrew MacKay) did it right.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    WHAM "CARELESS WHISPER" SAX IS ALL I CAN ALLOW IN MY LIFE.

BAN

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Basically every King Curtis and Jr. Walker record is ruined by, well, them...a cool little vamp/groove is chugging along and then "WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" some proto-SNL band bullshit horn solo...sorry dudes, but they are two of the most boring and annoying dudes to ever pick up a saxophone...cool tunes, but their reocrds would be 500% better if they didnt solo on them...

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

BAN

the other day i heard a musak version of a Sade song, and I was like, whats the point of that?

rock sax...

Roxy Music (Andrew MacKay) did it right.

Oboe b/w Eno's coke.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

BAN
    you misunderstood. i think sade rules, but hatting on sade-sax is ridiculous

BAN
    you misunderstood. i think sade rules, but hatting on sade-sax is ridiculous

Ah, yes, well, I agree with that.

But I don't hate the sax like most of these dudes, either.

Only in certain situations, like George Kerr 45's.

Jr. Walker

I had lunch with Evan Parker and Charles Gayle a few years ago in Austria. They were both going on and on about the importantance of Jr. Walker. It kinda threw me.

Basically every King Curtis and Jr. Walker record is ruined by, well, them...a cool little vamp/groove is chugging along and then "WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" some proto-SNL band bullshit horn solo

That's like hating water for being WET. That's what Curtis and Junior DID, and that's what I'm into, sorry. I hear that WEEEEEEEEEE and I'm like "about damn time!". Coltrane and them are okay in their place, but I'm no jazz expert, I just know what I like. (Never got it with Rollins, although this comp I have of Coltrane's Prestige stuff ain't half bad.)

And as far as the SNL pit band association, I'm not gonna stop listening to Eddie Floyd just 'cause some disco diva fucked up "Knock On Wood."