Florida gets gully

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/04/05/deadly.force.ap/index.htmlFlorida to allow use of force even outside home'Good, common sense, anti-crime issue'TALLAHASSEE, Florida (AP) -- Gov. Jeb Bush said Tuesday he intends to sign a bill that would allow people who feel threatened -- even on the street or at a baseball game -- to "meet force with force" and defend themselves without fear of prosecution.The measure, the top priority of the National Rifle Association in Florida this year, passed the House 94-20 on Tuesday. It had already passed the Senate.Bush, who has championed tougher penalties for people convicted of using guns in crimes, said the bill is about self-defense and called it "a good, common sense, anti-crime issue."The measure essentially extends a right Floridians already have in their home or car. Under present law, however, people attacked anywhere else are supposed to do what they can to avoid escalating the situation and can use deadly force only after they've tried to retreat."I'm sorry, people, but if I'm attacked I shouldn't have a duty to retreat," said the bill's sponsor, state Rep. Dennis Baxley. "That's a good way to get shot in the back."Baxley said that if people have the clear right to defend themselves without having to worry about legal consequences, criminals will think twice.Opponents feared the bill would make Florida resemble the wild West, but defenders say it is no different from what most other states allow in laws governing self-defense.The bill says a person has "the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force, including deadly force if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so, to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another."

Comments

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/04/05/deadly.force.ap/index.html

Florida to allow use of force even outside home
    'Good, common sense, anti-crime issue'

TALLAHASSEE, Florida (AP) -- Gov. Jeb Bush said Tuesday he intends to sign a bill that would allow people who feel threatened -- even on the street or at a baseball game -- to "meet force with force" and defend themselves without fear of prosecution.

The measure, the top priority of the National Rifle Association in Florida this year, passed the House 94-20 on Tuesday. It had already passed the Senate.

Bush, who has championed tougher penalties for people convicted of using guns in crimes, said the bill is about self-defense and called it "a good, common sense, anti-crime issue."

The measure essentially extends a right Floridians already have in their home or car. Under present law, however, people attacked anywhere else are supposed to do what they can to avoid escalating the situation and can use deadly force only after they've tried to retreat.

"I'm sorry, people, but if I'm attacked I shouldn't have a duty to retreat," said the bill's sponsor, state Rep. Dennis Baxley. "That's a good way to get shot in the back."

Baxley said that if people have the clear right to defend themselves without having to worry about legal consequences, criminals will think twice.

Opponents feared the bill would make Florida resemble the wild West, but defenders say it is no different from what most other states allow in laws governing self-defense.

The bill says a person has "the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force, including deadly force if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so, to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another."

what a wonderfully thought-out idea.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts

Well, yeah. Two wrongs make a right, after all.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    couple that with Texas' legal concealed weapon permit and it is ON!!!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I forgot to add:

Wow, so now it's not just cops who get to shoot people without consequence. This is like Bernard Goetz wet dream come true (though it's not like he was ever found guilty of doing the same thing this law codifies).

I do this all the time, stuck with a little shine
    Walk with a little nine, case I get in a bind
    They say I'm fuckin' crazy, they think I'm out my mind
    Cause I'm down to bust a nigga head all the time
    Now you know the hoes, they know how I roll
    In that new Rolls with the suicide doors
    22 inch chrome, a nigga money low
    You try to touch me, I put out ya get ya brains blown
    You go against the grain, pussy and you on ya own
    You right there in my zone, welcome to the terordome
    The ice blowin' my chain, blood blow in my veins
    Blue still in the range, I'm doin' my thang
    The semi auto spray, run if you get away
    I'll find your whereabouts and clap at you another day
    nigga play with the bread, get a hole in ya heador
    You touch a dime of mine thug and your ass dead

Well, yeah. Two wrongs make a right, after all.

So I've heard. Next up, the bill to legalize the preemptive use of deadly force, I mean it's legal for America, why not for Americans?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Word. I think Aleit needs to fly out to Germany and go see some people.

Word. I think Aleit needs to fly out to Germany and go see some people.

yeah that email is more than enough to exonerate him! GO NUTS, ALEIT!

• --- Cancels third guitar dig in Florida

• is it just Florida? I thought this was in South Carolina as well..maybe I am just confused. I like guns.

• Options
    I'm going to Florida next month for my cousin's wedding, if the law is passed by then I'm beating the shit out of Mickey Mouse.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/04/05/deadly.force.ap/index.html
    "I'm sorry, people, but if I'm attacked I shouldn't have a duty to retreat," said the bill's sponsor, state Rep. Dennis Baxley. "That's a good way to get shot in the back."

Now those are the type of reps we need up here.

I think many people don't realize how country much of Florida really is.