Who is the Queen of Latin Soul?

DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
I was just putting together some PBS highlights for a project at work and ran across this:
Independent Lens: La Lupe Queen of Latin Soul[/b]: INDEPENDENT LENS (ITVS) concludes its season with "La Lupe Queen of Latin Soul." Legendary Afro-Cuban pop singer Lupe Victoria Yoli was crowned "The Queen of Latin Soul" by New York's Latin music scene in the 1960s. Renowned for her emotional performances, La Lupe remains the quintessential bad girl, dying tragically, virtually unknown in 1992. Shot in Cuba, Puerto Rico and the U.S., the film tells her story through interviews and rare archival footage from the groundbreaking musical era.
Now, I'm not deep on the subject of Latin soul, and I have to say, I'm unfamiliar with her work. Is she really the queen of Latin soul? And can one truly be called legendary if the vast majority of the populace has never heard of her?

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    And can one truly be called legendary if the vast majority of the populace has never heard of her?

YES.

Now someone else answer the Latin Soul question.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    I was just putting together some PBS highlights for a project at work and ran across this:

Independent Lens: La Lupe Queen of Latin Soul[/b]: INDEPENDENT LENS (ITVS) concludes its season with "La Lupe Queen of Latin Soul." Legendary Afro-Cuban pop singer Lupe Victoria Yoli was crowned "The Queen of Latin Soul" by New York's Latin music scene in the 1960s. Renowned for her emotional performances, La Lupe remains the quintessential bad girl, dying tragically, virtually unknown in 1992. Shot in Cuba, Puerto Rico and the U.S., the film tells her story through interviews and rare archival footage from the groundbreaking musical era.

Now, I'm not deep on the subject of Latin soul, and I have to say, I'm unfamiliar with her work. Is she really the queen of Latin soul? And can one truly be called legendary if the vast majority of the populace has never heard of her?

Allow me: You sound whi

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

Allow me: You sound whi

I'm both.

• DigginDiggin 319 Posts
    "Busamba" =

• don_gigantedon_gigante 259 Posts
    her biggest hit was her cover of "fever"...absolutely amazing!!! cant say of heard much else from her other than that mind boggling rendition....

latin soul = r&b style crooning in spanish, que no?

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    She made a few albums but no, not the Queen of Latin Soul, that's the the PR men at work. In fact, I don't recall much of a soul tinge on the LPs I've heard.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    She made a few albums but no, not the Queen of Latin Soul, that's the the PR men at work. In fact, I don't recall much of a soul tinge on the LPs I've heard.

I'm pretty sure they're working that title off the title of her own album. And given that there wasn't exactly a ton of women singing Latin soul, I'm not sure who you'd put in here instead save for probably Celia Cruz (though I always associate her with salsa more than Latin soul).

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    can someone post her version of "Fever" plaese?

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

it's

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

I'm pretty sure they're working that title off the title of her own album. And given that there wasn't exactly a ton of women singing Latin soul, I'm not sure who you'd put in here instead save for probably Celia Cruz (though I always associate her with salsa more than Latin soul).

Considering the whole "cuties to the dancefloor, notsocuties to the kitchen" (polite paraphrase) getting equal billing on LPs with male stars would make her Queen of Latin Soul by default.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

And given that there wasn't exactly a ton of women singing Latin soul, I'm not sure who you'd put in

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    No love for J-Lo or Estefan Batmon?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

it's

She has three. All three suck?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

Thanks!

not bad....not exactly doo-doo nor mind boggling

No love for J-Lo or Estefan Batmon?

J-Lo hells No. The Booty Though....

Gloria Estefan & The Miami Sound Machine......cool. She has some Lite Fm hits though.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

- spidey

• Charo???

but for real, ladies singing latin soul is about as scarce as black dudes singing country music.

I like her version of fever though- at least the one from her "la reina" album.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    When people in the 60s were calling La Lupe the queen of Latin soul they weren't thinking "latin soul" like record dorks on soulstrut think of "latin soul" in 2007 mmmkay? They were calling her that because she had a wild, fiery style much like popular female soul singers of the time.... also she was neither traditional nor straight salsa... she was considered pretty out there and crazy... lots of nrr drama... she had "soul"... I don't know who would take the title in reality her or Celia Cruz but she is very well known among latin fans...

I don't know who soulstrut would recommend but it would probably be someone who sold 200 copies and is still unknown to latin music fans in NYC.

• oldjeezyoldjeezy 134 Posts
    I don't think she has any "soul" tunes, but yeah, she's pretty much the top vocalist in Latin music.

Mongo y La Lupe lp.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    I nominate that one chick who sang I'm a Good Woman on that one El Chicano LP.

"Vagabundo" is a good La Lupe soul cut.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    When people in the 60s were calling La Lupe the queen of Latin soul they weren't thinking "latin soul" like record dorks on soulstrut think of "latin soul" in 2007 mmmkay?

Well, they should have, 'cause Latin-soul was a legit genre with artists who knew how to split the difference. I know they had to sell records, but that tag is just too confusing, like you're expecting a female Joe Bataan or something.

And I thought surf music was bad as far as that went ("soul surfin'" was a common misused catchphrase back in the early sixties, but that's another thread).

When people in the 60s were calling La Lupe the queen of Latin soul they weren't thinking "latin soul" like record dorks on soulstrut think of "latin soul" in 2007 mmmkay?

Well, they should have, 'cause Latin-soul was a legit genre with artists who knew how to split the difference. I know they had to sell records, but that tag is just too confusing, like you're expecting a female Joe Bataan or something.

The concept of latin soul, to most latin fans (ie, the people that called La Lupe the queen of it), was a lot bigger than just guys like Bataan who sang in English and had soul-influenced arrangements.

The concept of latin soul, to most latin fans (ie, the people that called La Lupe the queen of it), was a lot bigger than just guys like Bataan who sang in English and had soul-influenced arrangements.

I'm sure it is, and I wouldn't take that away from her. I just hate seeing genre names used twice for two different reasons (like "garage" - the 1960's brand of rock & roll that spawned punk, or a form of dance music??).

I'm sure it is, and I wouldn't take that away from her. I just hate seeing genre names used twice for two different reasons (like "garage" - the 1960's brand of rock & roll that spawned punk, or a form of dance music??).

haha, I hear you. It can get confusing with the Garr-idge.

• They were calling her that because she had a wild, fiery style much like popular female soul singers of the time.... also she was neither traditional nor straight salsa... she was considered pretty out there and crazy... lots of nrr drama... she had "soul"...

true. if you ever listen to this album:

the part where sid's talking to Lupe is funny. her voice is total over-the-top sexy. at least that's how I remember it.

Queen of Latin soul. huh? How 'bout that lady who sang with the Village Callers?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Celia Cruz.

India.

Violeta Peralta. (Hey, it's music i can say whatever I want!)

I thought La Lupe sang that Si Si No No song, but I guess not. Who was that, from back in the big Latin bands days? Anyway, I always thought of La Lupe as a little more novelty, like that Fever clip.