books about jazz

2»

Comments

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    you want a catalog/discografie of every jazz record you can get your hands on ?

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    The selection (!) of releases covered in a book like this should be handled by criterias like importance of the release and quality, not the availability as CD.

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    this would be the ?
    sjit i dont know about books or jazz.
    and i want a late pass.
    im going to bed.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    these objective jazz historians trying to document be-bop from outside, forget it..
    i was there.

yup. Selection is always an issue, but it??s definitely a problem if key works are not mentioned due to their unavailability.

anyway, regarding general guides this grove dictionary mentioned earlier looks really good and is probably more what I am looking for than the penguin guide.

• HonkyFippleHonkyFipple 418 Posts

anyway, regarding general guides this grove dictionary mentioned earlier looks really good and is probably more what I am looking for than the penguin guide.

go buy the funk lexicon and stare at the pictures. it's the minute-maid for becoming a big dude.

the penguine guide is nice. that's all i can say.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

go buy the funk lexicon and stare at the pictures. it's the minute-maid for becoming a big dude.

the penguine guide is nice. that's all i can say.

Relax. No one is saying that it's shit, I am just saying that if you are looking for something that is more about relevance and history than availability, the Penguin Guide is going to leave you frustrated. That's all.

Oh, and IMO, it would add to the book to include pictures of sleeves, it might read more enjoyably, and less like reading a phone book.