DJ AM ?

SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
Sorry if this is a repost, but I stumbled upon this and wondered what all the hype or celebrity behind this cat was.About 2-3 years ago my friend called me and said 'Have you ever heard DJ AM spin? he's on Power 106 and he's a monster'Im more than impressed, this dude is crazy!http://www.zshare.net/audio/dj-am-live-banana-split-5_6_07-mp3-3h7.html

Comments

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    welcome to the board, DJ AM.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    He is good. But can't hold a candle to DJ Mompants.

• stefskistefski 12 Posts

• Mr. CasualMr. Casual 953 Posts

have you heard the new Babu album... i heard its amazing

have you heard the new Babu album... i heard its amazing

dude the man Ayatollah's beats are FIRE! how come no one is giving that dude the respect he deserves?

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Have you heard him scratch his lap band system??? It's gastronomical!!!!!!!!!!!!

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    crazy town rock!

• I made it to 17 minutes.

17 minutes I will never get back.

• DUNE493DUNE493 223 Posts
    Dude can spin but his playlist sucks monkey nuts.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    i personally don't enjoy it his A.D.D. style, to me it sounds like an audio version of those pokemon cartoons that make kids have epileptic seizures

but i won't knock him either as a dj

he is doing his thing and there is obviously a market for it, he deserves his success imo, he does what he does well and people obviously dig the sounds so good for him

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    please celeb dj's to crawl back in your hole & stop getting lessons from kid millionaire who also just learned to DJ...

add-on humorous Microwave-related quotes...

• Deejay_OMDeejay_OM 695 Posts

hahaha....

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    This past winter I went to a Sundance party where Kid Millionaire was spinning. I was much more impressed with the opening DJ's (some local, Salt Lake City kid) ability and song selection. Someone (corporate sponsor) wasted some $$$$ that night.

DJ AM is the antithesis of real schitt. his mixes are a good reference point if you are struggling to understand how to cater for the mainstream audience i guess. i don't care how many pictures he puts on his myspace smoking blunts with Nas back in '94, he ain't credible and never will be.

i see this Kid Millionaire/Steve Aoki guy (same person right?) around on the internet and think how the hell did this guy become so popular?! what does he even mix?!

That A.D.D style is fucking rubbish, i don't care how witty the connection you drew with that last track was, just play some music like you mean it motherfucker!

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    please celeb dj's to crawl back in your hole & stop getting lessons from kid millionaire who also just learned to DJ...

Masterson's waiting for just the right moment to offer him a free "personality test"...

who are these people?

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    DJ AM is the antithesis of real schitt. his mixes are a good reference point if you are struggling to understand how to cater for the mainstream audience i guess.

That A.D.D style is fucking rubbish, i don't care how witty the connection you drew with that last track was, just play some music like you mean it motherfucker!

if you don't like hearing mainstream music then you should avoid going to any mainstream clubs/bars. go support the djs who have niche nights playing whatever music it is that you prefer. there are some great ones.

however, your taste for that "real schitt" doesnt say a thing about AM's skills as a dj. the guy has skills....like real dj skills, not musical taste. i dont know a single hip hop dj who thinks otherwise. further, all the scratch djs who got ignored when they tried to get on in clubs are suddenly gettiing some shine, which i think is a good thing. isnt it positive when guys who have great dj skills get paid for what they can do?

i cant speak for aoki or momjeans cause ive never heard them dj. that being said, i dont why people who havent are being so critical. if you saw them and they sucked, ok. go 'head. otherwise...

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

who are these people?

exactly.

"I knew soulstrut was against us" Kid Mill
    "If its war they want..." Mompnats

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Masterson's waiting for just the right moment to offer him a free "personality test"...

'ah yes Benihanas' as Devin would say.

so while we are on the subject of celebrity DJs what is the deal with this Jus Ske fella? got skills?!

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts

so while we are on the subject of celebrity DJs what is the deal with this Jus Ske fella? got skills?!

Jus Ske has skills.

Aoki is , but has gotten better. At least he's very involved with the music scene through his label and has more of a passion for the music than most of the celeb DJs.

AM is a great DJ..period.

Don't get me started about the others

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    AM is one of the best DJs alive and has been for some time now. He's a "celebrity" DJ because he put in time as a REAL DJ smashing clubs in LA for years, then getting discovered by the Hollywood set and the whole Nicole Richie thing. Don't get it twisted, it's NOT the other way around.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I liked that mix. ADD, whatever, I don't care. That shit will get the party started. Who is this AM bloke? I'm disconnected. Sounds like he got some turntable skills.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    AM - has skills, but is paid to play that bullshit... Not mad he is making money

Aoki - complete Garbage

The worst though, by far is Shepard Fairey... Dude needs to stick to his clothes and shit an stop DJing. fucking trainwrecks every song and has NO selection skills whatsoever. Complete and utter trash. The worst are the hipster doofus dickriders that allow these jack offs to DJ.

Jus Ske has skills.

Aoki is , but has gotten better. At least he's very involved with the music scene through his label and has more of a passion for the music than most of the celeb DJs.

AM is a great DJ..period.

Don't get me started about the others

true.. I can't front.. AM is nice on the tables although the steeze is getting played out .. Pistol?..do you concur?...

I can't stand Aoki as a DJ, but I bet he would be fun to do a bunch of drugs with and hang out with all the hot little hipster broads...

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    The worst are the hipster doofus dickriders that allow these jack offs to DJ.

AMEN. I hear that the dude that played Pedro in Napolean Dynamite is trying to DJ now...amazing.

AM is one of the best DJs alive and has been for some time now. He's a "celebrity" DJ because he put in time as a REAL DJ smashing clubs in LA for years, then getting discovered by the Hollywood set and the whole Nicole Richie thing. Don't get it twisted, it's NOT the other way around.

can't really argue with that.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

can't really argue with that.

you are fucking corny.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    This past winter I went to a Sundance party where Kid Millionaire was spinning. I was much more impressed with the opening DJ's (some local, Salt Lake City kid) ability and song selection. Someone (corporate sponsor) wasted some $$$$ that night.

I work for a company called Skinparty. I do some design on the side. They paid dj skribble like $10K for one party on New Years a year or two ago. They lost their ass on that party.