mailing CDs - postal confusion

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
I'm going to have to mail off about 100 CDs in the next few days - all identical weight and dimensions. I've been trying to figure out what kind of stamps to buy in order to ship 'em off right but every post office I go into gives me a different number!Part of the confusion is how to classify the package...If it's a "large envelope" then I'm looking at something around 1.17/per.If it's a parcel though, then it jumps up to 1.64/per. I'm, of course, trying to get away with sending them out at the cheaper price and personally, I've never ran into trouble sending CDs out as envelopes vs. parcels but maybe this is someone new post-May USPS rule? Anyone have some sound advice here?

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    what did the post office classify it as? i just sent some cd's and didn't notice how it was classified BUT i just noticed that you can't use delivery confirmation on large envelopes and i used confirmation so they must've sent them parcel. so...i dunno

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    i don't see any way that a cd mailer can be considered a parcel. an "envelope" by usps standards can be up to a certain thickness, and I think it's over an inch. I worked with mail for years before my current job and it would have to be a straight up box to be considered a parcel. do you already have the mailers? what do they look like? padded envelopes are the best - they are the lightest, no confusion as to whether it's a parcel or not, and the goods arrive safe.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    YES!!!