A most obscure sample ID

down_beatdown_beat 57 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
Not another Vic Juris, hardly a find to brag of and of faint interest only to those into the mechanics of past sampling: http://www.divshare.com/download/695643-22fAs used in part of "Un Autre Introduction"??? http://www.divshare.com/download/695693-58bAnd from the film??? http://www.divshare.com/download/695696-fe4It's from a really crap European film. TAKE THAT TO THE BRAEKS.

Comments

• highschemehighscheme 784 Posts
    every baby born with working vocal chords has sampled the same movie

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    hi dead_beat!

i think i know you, from when i was in Brisbane...

• down_beatdown_beat 57 Posts
    every baby born with working vocal chords has sampled the same movie

It's not a big deal, but compare & contrast.

Check yr PMs Kenny. Brisvegas indeed.

Some Greek film in 03 using what stock sound library sample whatever? Take a listen. I'll say no more on it, I just posted it for interest. It's there for your perusal.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    There's actually a really popular American rock record from the 60s/70s (can't remember what) with that same baby sound... I've heard it on rapp records too and assumed that it was used from that...

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    an old stock sound

Yeah, isn't that like the go-to baby gaga recording? I've heard it used many times in music and movies. "Are You That Somebody" by Aaliyah, for example. Am I missing something here?

OK maybe I'm gaga. Would make more sense for dude to use said hiphop reference. Remarklably similar tho. Perhaps it's a "throat sounds at three months" thing where all humans do that then. Perhaps folkways should look into this.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    my assumption is that most people sampled it from Perrey and Kingsley. I forget which album it's on, but they have that baby sound with other sounds from the baby. I don't know if that is the original. It's from late 60s.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    ^^^
    beat me to it

Yes, the baby is on "Countdown At 6" on that Perrey/Kingsley LP, and that may well be where a lot of people who have used it got it from, but I'm pretty sure that is not the original source, and P & K "sampled" it as well.

The reason I say this is that I used to have this cassette tape when I was a kid with a recording of a sound FX LP. I used this tape for making my own mock radio programs with my two cassette decks and a microphone (ah, those were the days).

On this tape was all your usual usual FX (traffic, sports, fanfares, ambience, nature, battle and so on), including that particular recording of the baby doing its googoo thing, going on for at least a minute or so. Acapella, without music or anything in the background. I remember it very disctincly (especially that "aaaa-aaa"), because I listened to that FX tape a zillion times.

So, I'm guessing it must date back further than the Perry/Kingsley usage which is from around '66. Probably some old BBC late 50s/early 60s type of thing.

Haha, I love these nerdy sample threads. Where's Hawkeye and Easy Mo Bee's hairdryer?

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    Brian Auger & Julie Driscoll used it on one of their LPs.. maybe 'Street Noise'?

definitely the same one for "are you that somebody"

• CinisterCeeCinisterCee 863 Posts
    the go-to baby gaga recording

There ya go! I remember it as being longer, but that's the one. Now the question is, where does it come from originally?

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    For whatever it's worth, I'm pretty sure that someone in DJ Shadow's, um, organization is responsible for managing the Jean-Jacques Perrey catalog.

The real story, though, is Regina's "Baby Love," which utilizes the same sample to more devastating effect. I distinctly remember getting my inseam measured at some point in the eighties while this song played over the PA, making me only slightly less uncomfortable than being eleven years old and getting my hair cut languidly by a moderately attractive thirtysomething miss with Garden-Weasel bangs while "Obsession" by Animotion was pounding in the background. In both cases, the resultant feelings were a little difficult to process.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    For whatever it's worth, I'm pretty sure that someone in DJ Shadow's, um, organization is responsible for managing the Jean-Jacques Perrey catalog.

True.