CNN only 2 1/2 months behind on the news (NRR)

volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/06/16/downingst.memo.ap/index.html

This is the first time I've seen this show up. And of course the White House says they won't respond because it's an old debate.....which means "we already lied to you once don't make us lie again".

BTW It's an old debate they never took part in to begin with.

Comments

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts
    Bush should respond to questions raised by the Downing Street memo, says a letter signed by Conyers and over 90 other members of Congress, as well as a half-million Americans.

• No shit. Bush running things is like having a really beautiful, expensive car and hiring a retard as your chauffeur. He's just spent the last few years running over curbs, sideswiping your neighbors cars, shitting on the upholstery and playing the worst music imaginable on your radio...Fucker...[/b]

Bush running things is like having a really beautiful, expensive car and hiring a retard as your chauffeur. He's just spent the last few years running over curbs, sideswiping your neighbors cars, shitting on the upholstery and playing the worst music imaginable on your radio

LOCATION!

• Bush running things is like having a really beautiful, expensive car and hiring a retard as your chauffeur. He's just spent the last few years running over curbs, sideswiping your neighbors cars, shitting on the upholstery and playing the worst music imaginable on your radio

LOCATION!

I tried. It won't fit (no AYO...pasue...)

Bush running things is like having a really beautiful, expensive car and hiring a retard as your chauffeur.

that would be just as dope...
    im still rollin!

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    this barely got mentioned in the US when the memo's were released... it only just became a story nationwide because the Dems are now making a stink about it...

truth is its not neccessarily the bombshell folks would like it to be, these memo's have been used to prop up both sides of the argument...

• this barely got mentioned in the US when the memo's were released... it only just became a story nationwide because the Dems are now making a stink about it...

truth is its not neccessarily the bombshell folks would like it to be, these memo's have been used to prop up both sides of the argument...

Man, this has been said before... But it's no bombshell, because everyone knows it is true! The Republicans are saying, "This is old news, and no one cares", and they are right! Everyone knows it was a sham, that they manufactured or fixed the "evidence"... That they planned on going to Iraq all along...

So basically, everyone missed the boat on giving a shit... What the memo provides is a chance for people in our government to finally say ok, bacdafukup, and to give citizens who missed the boat on giving a shit, or paying attention, to finally jump on board to reality boat.

Peace...
    FNM

• WH Press Secretary Mocks 'Downing Street Memo,' as Congressman Calls for Inquiry

By E&P Staff

Published: June 16, 2005 4:25 PM ET

NEW YORK With a forum about to begin on Capitol Hill on the so-called Downing Street Memo, hosted by Rep. John Conyers (D-Mich.), reporters at today's White House briefing by Press Secretary Scott McClellan naturally raised the subject, albeit briefly.

Rather than ask about details or implications of the 2002 internal British document -- which seemed to suggest that the Bush administration was determined to go to war against Iraq and that intelligence would be ???fixed??? to support it -- the correspondents wondered if the White House was ever going to respond to a letter authored by Conyers and signed by 88 of his colleagues asking for information about the memo.

A transcript of two separate exchanges follows:

Q Scott, on another topic, has the President or anyone else from the administration responded to the letter sent last month by Congressman John Conyers and signed by dozens of members of the House of Representatives, regarding the Downing Street memo? Has the President or anyone else responded?

McCLELLAN: Not that I'm aware of.

Q Why not?

McCLELLAN: Why not? Because I think that this is an individual who voted against the war in the first place [Conyers] and is simply trying to rehash old debates that have already been addressed. And our focus is not on the past. It's on the future and working to make sure we succeed in Iraq.

These matters have been addressed, Elaine. I think you know that very well. The press --

Q Scott, 88 members of Congress signed that letter.

McCLELLAN: The press -- the press have covered it, as well.

Q But, Scott, don't they deserve the courtesy of a response back?

McCLELLAN: Again, this has been addressed???.

Q Scott, on John Conyers, John Conyers is walking here with that letter again, as you have acknowledged from Elaine's comment. But 88 leaders on Capitol Hill signed that letter. Now, I understand what you're saying about him, but what about the other 88 who signed this letter, wanting information, answers to these five questions?

McCLELLAN: How did they vote on the war -- the decision to go to war in Iraq?

Q Well, you have two -- well, if that's the case, you have two Republicans who are looking for a timetable. How do you justify that?

McCLELLAN: I already talked about that.

Q I understand, but let's talk about this.

McCLELLAN: Like I said --

Q Well, just because -- I understand -- but if you're talking about unifying and asking for everyone to come together, why not answer, whether they wanted the war or not, answer a letter where John Conyers wrote to the President and then 88 congressional leaders signed? Why not answer that?

McCLELLAN: For the reasons I stated earlier. This is simply rehashing old debates that have already been discussed.

Later, across town, Rep. Charles Rangel was among Democratic House members who participated in the Conyers forum to air demands that the White House provide more information about what led to the decision to go to war in Iraq. Congress should conduct an official inquiry to determine whether President Bush intentionally misled the nation about the reasons for toppling Saddam Hussein, Rangle charged.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    this barely got mentioned in the US when the memo's were released... it only just became a story nationwide because the Dems are now making a stink about it...

Man, this has been said before... But it's no bombshell, because everyone knows it is true! The Republicans are saying, "This is old news, and no one cares", and they are right! Everyone knows it was a sham, that they manufactured or fixed the "evidence"... That they planned on going to Iraq all along...

So basically, everyone missed the boat on giving a shit... What the memo provides is a chance for people in our government to finally say ok, bacdafukup, and to give citizens who missed the boat on giving a shit, or paying attention, to finally jump on board to reality boat.

Peace...
    FNM

I think part of the point is giving people a chance to have it out with the White House now that the truth is comming to light. I think a lot of people (ignorantly) supported the was on the basis that Sadam had WMD and also I think a lot of people believed he was somehow tied to Al Quada. Now the White House wants to act like they never made these things up and it's always been about Democracy.

No doubt people should have read between the lies all along, but I think it's important that people take the White House to task on this stuff, cuz they already got aways with it. At the time they had the guise of their lies being true, now they have no facts to back them up.

That's why this whole "it's already been debated" thing irks me. It was never debated cuz they trumped the debate with "here's our scarey (made up) facts of why you should shut up and let us do what ever we want."

But I do agree with what your saying. It's public apathy that let's these things get so out of control. Plus, the whole public desire for revenge after 9/11.

• No doubt people should have read between the lies all along, but I think it's important that people take the White House to task on this stuff, cuz they already got aways with it. At the time they had the guise of their lies being true, now they have no facts to back them up.

That's why this whole "it's already been debated" thing irks me. It was never debated cuz they trumped the debate with "here's our scarey (made up) facts of why you should shut up and let us do what ever we want."

But I do agree with what your saying. It's public apathy that let's these things get so out of control. Plus, the whole public desire for revenge after 9/11.

I agree that it is important. If you read my next post, of the press conference, that shit pisses me off to no end. Complete arrogance.

Bush has said that they are in the business of making reality, and to a large extent, this is true, and also makes me think that some people in the whitehouse may have advisors trained in the occult. That's all that magick is, exerting your will and making it come true.

Thing is... this will goes against the majority of the American people... And I would say that those who do support, don't truly understand what has been going on.

I hope more people start to wake up and notice now that this is starting to get more media coverage finally. It was the top story on NPR's morning edition today, that was nice...

Peace...
    FNM

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    No shit. Bush running things is like having a really beautiful, expensive car and hiring a retard as your chauffeur. He's just spent the last few years running over curbs, sideswiping your neighbors cars, shitting on the upholstery and playing the worst music imaginable on your radio...Fucker...[/b]

Definitely classic.

• It was the top story on NPR's morning edition today, that was nice...

Peace...
    FNM

won't be that way for long if the legislation to lop off NPR funding gets through.

cost to fund NPR & public radio (sesame street, electric company breakz anyone) - $1/person/year or about $250M/yr

cost of iraq war .... peep ... about $250/person/year or $60000M/yr for who knows how long.

No doubt people should have read between the lies all along, but I think it's important that people take the White House to task on this stuff, cuz they already got aways with it. At the time they had the guise of their lies being true, now they have no facts to back them up.

I agree that it is important. If you read my next post, of the press conference, that shit pisses me off to no end. Complete arrogance.

Bush has said that they are in the business of making reality, and to a large extent, this is true, and also makes me think that some people in the whitehouse may have advisors trained in the occult. That's all that magick is, exerting your will and making it come true.

Thing is... this will goes against the majority of the American people... And I would say that those who do support, don't truly understand what has been going on.

I hope more people start to wake up and notice now that this is starting to get more media coverage finally. It was the top story on NPR's morning edition today, that was nice...

Peace...
    FNM

Does this stuff make the news in Japan? Is it looked into and studied? I know in the US we have to get a lot of info from the BBC. Our media is totally bent over taking it from Bush. The media will chime in when they have to, but for the most part they've been wipped with the "liberal media" flogg so much they don't question anything.

NPR is good, but even they are a kinda of nampy pampy on a lot of stuff. Terry Gross had Chuck D and she wouldn't shut up about the Professor Griff "jew" incident! WTF! Talk about old debated news. Chuck D even said Griff was wrong and they kicked him out for it. But she just kept on with it and would drop it until he told her "I don't care what you think".

• Does this stuff make the news in Japan? Is it looked into and studied? I know in the US we have to get a lot of info from the BBC. Our media is totally bent over taking it from Bush. The media will chime in when they have to, but for the most part they've been wipped with the "liberal media" flogg so much they don't question anything.

NPR is good, but even they are a kinda of nampy pampy on a lot of stuff. Terry Gross had Chuck D and she wouldn't shut up about the Professor Griff "jew" incident! WTF! Talk about old debated news. Chuck D even said Griff was wrong and they kicked him out for it. But she just kept on with it and would drop it until he told her "I don't care what you think".

Yeah, NPR is kinda nampy pampy... but I think they are probably the closest thing to truth in the mainstream media as you will get in the US, if you consider NPR mainstream at all. Despite the fact that they woften gloss over stories not be covered by anyone else, it seems to be a bit of a refuge for at the least, rational thought and discourse... Which is I suppose why they are so hated by those on the right.

About getting this news in Japan, yeah, stuff gets covered... But I don't know how much the Japanese mainstream media, or Japanese language media covers it. I read the Japan Times everday, which is an english language japanese paper, and it's reputed to be pretty forward thinking, and often has articles critical of the US and Japanese governments. I know the Japanese papers gloss over their own governments problems quite often.

Anyhow, I'm about to look in the archives to check the Fresh Air with Chuck D., nice lunchtime listening... thanks for the tip-off!

Peace...
    FNM

Anyhow, I'm about to look in the archives to check the Fresh Air with Chuck D., nice lunchtime listening... thanks for the tip-off!

Not sure if you'll find it. It had to be 5 or 6 years ago. It just always stuck in my head as the kind of "hard hitting journalism" Terry Gross goes for. Hassling Gene Simons and Chuck D. You go girl! I hope you can find it, cuz it's great to hear how clueless she is.

Not sure if you'll find it. It had to be 5 or 6 years ago. It just always stuck in my head as the kind of "hard hitting journalism" Terry Gross goes for. Hassling Gene Simons and Chuck D. You go girl! I hope you can find it, cuz it's great to hear how clueless she is.

Dosn't look like it's archived on the NPR site, but I found several references to it. Funny enough it was on 2 sites on what not to do in an interview.....

4. When you're pressed on a sensitive point.

When Terry Gross pressed Chuck D, leader of the rap group
    Public Enemy, about one of the members of his group making
    anti-Semitic remarks, he answered vaguely a number of times
    and then said bluntly, *Let's move on,* which made him
    appear rude. Instead, he might have said, *I've really said
    all I can say about this. Can we go on to the next
    question?* Or, *I've really answered this to the best of my
    knowledge at this time with the information I have
    available.*

Funny enough this is pretty off point!!!! Chuck answered her directly and said Griff was wrong... if he wanted to talk about it Griff should have had some specific people to name and not just "jews". Also, Chuck pointed out that the comments came from an informal interview that was supose to be off the record. Terry was pissed cuz she's Jewish and aparently unaware of the fact the Jewish people living on the islands off of Africa were involved in slave and precious metal/gemm trade (explotation to many). Chuck said the jewish part was irelevant..... if you want to talk about stuff you have to name names and not just make generalizations. But she kept pressing him with the presumtion that no Jewish people had ever done such things. That's when he finally said "I don't care what you think". He had to say Let's move on cuz she ate up a good 5 min pressing him on a single point she couldn't grasp that had no presant day relevance.

I think they are probably the closest thing to truth in the mainstream media as you will get in the US, if you consider NPR mainstream at all. Despite the fact that they woften gloss over stories not be covered by anyone else, it seems to be a bit of a refuge for at the least, rational thought and discourse... Which is I suppose why they are so hated by those on the right.

BTW I do agree with this and still listen to them almost everyday. They at least look into stories and spend good amounts of time on important stories. Unlike CNN who just repeat the same 5 sec sound bits all fucking day long!!!!!! My favorite is when CNN has video fotage and it's just a loop and if the anchor keeps talking the loop starts over and repeats the same fotage you saw 5 secs ago. CNN IS BASICALLY A GLORIFIED FOX.