Noah Howard - The Black Ark - soul strut rating?

BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
"Legendary set cut by US expatriot Noah Howard while living in Paris during the late 60s. Howard is a key link in the late 60's avant garde American scene, but his disappearance from New York meant that he never got as much chance to record as some of his contemporaries. This early album stands as one of his best, and even though it was part of the Freedom series, it hasn't enjoyed the same sort of reissue history as those other titles. Howard plays some mighty fierce alto in a group that includes Arthur Doyle, Jumma Santos, and Mohammad Ali. Titles include "Ole Negro", "Mount Fuji", and "Queen Anne". "Soulstrut rating? I know it's a 3 figure raer on OG, so if anyone knows where it stands on the listenability scale, you lot do! or

Comments

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    I need a copy of this myself, pretty much the only noah howard I need. "Black Ark" gets a lift because it's rare. Outside of a UK and German (maybe other euro) pressing, it didn't get around. Noah Howard is the epitome of what I enjoy out of free jazz. I finally found a copy of "live at judson hall" for reasonable, and it reminded me what a great player he is.

• macacamacaca 278 Posts
    if anyone wants the album in mp3 format, pm me.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    I need a copy of this myself, pretty much the only noah howard I need. "Black Ark" gets a lift because it's rare. Outside of a UK and German (maybe other euro) pressing, it didn't get around. Noah Howard is the epitome of what I enjoy out of free jazz. I finally found a copy of "live at judson hall" for reasonable, and it reminded me what a great player he is.

you have the Village Vanguard LP? There are a lot of Noah Howard LPs I pretty much never see...Black Ark seems to pop up on ebay fairly often. I think I paid $40 for mine.