Hyphy Is Dead (Article Related)

13»

Comments

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    man you all are arguing about a sub genre of rap being over or alive? NONE of these sub genres have any staying power especially today with the way that media chews up and spits out artists, styles, and "movements"... The ONLY reason that the Hyphy movement got as big as it did was because the labels needed something to jump onto as CRUNK was dying out. Fuck a sub genre if its good music its good music leave it at that. If someone made a dope "hyphy" track tomorrow then it would get rotation.

And as much as everyone even the labels wanted to make this popular, it still didn't have much staying power outside of the bay and Fanboy communities. Even at its peak a year or so ago the only album that really sold was E-40 and the only vinyl that still moves is E-40 and Federation. The only people we ha buying your keak Da Sneak, messy Marv, and other Bay area artists were people from the Bay. just sayin, it was never as big as the blogsphere and labels wanted it to be.

PS.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    All I know is that for all of the truly great songs that the hyphy movement has produced to date (Super Hyphy, Super Sic Wid It, Hell Yeah, Get On My Hype, etc.) that it was national tastemaker dipshits like Joseph Patel who essentially reduced all of that great music to a single song (Tell Me When to Go) and made sure to highlight the most negative connotations related to the hyphy movement at every point along the way of presenting it.

Just because carpetbagging know-it-alls weren't hip when shit was truly popping doesn't mean that we should in turn adopt their you-can-only-prove-yourself-by-what-you-do-next bullshit. Plus, for real fans of rap, this hyphy shit is hardly trendy in the least. It's more like an actual youth-based lifestyle that changes little over time. Personally, I was popping pills and engaging in sideshow-like activity by way of my '77 Buick Regal as far back as '88. I certainly don't do that stuff now as a 35 year old family man, but I can definitely relate to youngsters going through the same shit. Point being, either you're with this hyphy shit or you're not...and most of the people writing about it have no business even fuckin' with it AT ALL.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Personally, I was popping pills and engaging in sideshow-like activity by way of my '77 Buick Regal as far back as '88.

Everyone else must now post their credentials before contributing further.

Just when did you little dudes start popping pillz?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Hyphy Lives.

Personally, I was popping pills and engaging in sideshow-like activity by way of my '77 Buick Regal as far back as '88.

How the fuck can someone write about thizzing without ever actually thizzing?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

I feel the same way about rapping - the jury is still out on your rapps, however.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

1990; Ford Transit.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Where was Daniel 88-90? How many bangles did he own? Inquiring minds need to know.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

Something tells me that 'e' culture in 1988 and 2007 share little in common.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I feel the same way about rapping - the jury is still out on your rapps, however.

You know I had to say it, right?

Plaese to stop badgering the messiah, you pariah.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    How the fuck can someone write about Big Lurch without ever actually bugging out on PCP and eating human flesh?

How the fuck can someone write about Big Lurch without ever actually bugging out on PCP and eating human flesh?

I'm saying. Rip some lungs out, then come talk to me.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    how can someone write about biting the blowed until he himself has bitten said blowed?

Just 'cause you ain't never smoked a primo...

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

^inference.

• oldjeezyoldjeezy 134 Posts

I'm not "close personal friends" with Marian though she is a former student and personally, I admire any local writer willing to work a hip hop beat for a daily newspaper. I think your more in-depth critique makes good sense - sure, a proclamation like "hyphy is dead" is bound to sound rather sensationalist (and alas, this is all too common in media as I'm sure you well know). But blanket swiping her article as "terrible research and writing" just strikes me as hastily shooting from the hip. she's not my favorite writer but I respect her work ethic and hustle and I think both are displayed here.

I have often had minor criticisms of her articles in the past, but I have to give her props for being at that paper and covering hip-hop. At least she's there covering it. Yes, I cringe at some of it, but not like with most mainstream coverage of hip hop, which is clueless. Why a few days ago I saw a reference to "rapper" Grandmaster Flash.

^inference.

But you did include a Ngafsh track on your latest XXL Headphone Gumbo blog...

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    and you sound real mad right now, Sir Nozzle.

I sound mad? Is this a thread about hyphy or bloggers? Because you've been ranting nonsensically about the later from the jump and saying very little about the former.

Except that, in your club, hyphy is still hot. Which would only support my point.

Schnozberry, my man! What's with the harsh vibes, brah! You know i'm messing with you when it comes to the whole blog thing. I already stated my 2 cents on her opinion and I posted just for the sake of getting a discussion aroud here. Also, posting this or arguing isn't some "HA HA HA I TOLD YOU SO" type bullshit.

what's your point though? I thought it was that you thought her article was poorly researched.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    But you did include a Ngafsh track on your latest XXL Headphone Gumbo blog...

But I have never walked across the pacific ocean on a tight rope.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Except that, in your club, hyphy is still hot. Which would only support my point.

what's your point though? I thought it was that you thought her article was poorly researched.

My point is, if people are still dancing and enjoying hyphy, then it's probably not dead. Didn't seem like her research covered that.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

My point is, if people are still dancing and enjoying hyphy, then it's probably not dead. Didn't seem like her research covered that.

Now you're just splitting hairs to be petty.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I dn't think this was really terribly written, but I'm not going along with the premise of Hyphy being dead. Reading that E-40 moved 500,000 is great. For me, the biggest problem is lack of material. Gimme a Federation lp already. Something produced by Rick Rock. Its like the E-40 album dropped & no one could continue with the momentum. I'd agree that hyphy was dead if there weren't albums from the Bay that I'm looking forward to. Anyhow, last week, I fucked around with this hot broad & named one of her titties "Crunk" and the other one "Hyphy". We're in Quebec & she knew what Hyphy is. The broad who wrote this article doesn't know the real.

Anyhow, last week, I fucked around with this hot broad & named one of her titties "Crunk" and the other one "Hyphy".

dude I miss hanging out with you man.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Anyhow, last week, I fucked around with this hot broad & named one of her titties "Crunk" and the other one "Hyphy".

As of this week, no major american newspaper will have a bureau in Canada. They are clearly missing out.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Yo B,

The feeling is mutual. Get thee to MTL!

peace

h

Yo B,

The feeling is mutual. Get thee to MTL!

peace

h

I'm working on it.

Mutual feelings are dead.

Mutual feelings are dead.

I would have thought that mutually feeling titties named crunk and hyphy would somehow be a validation of your musical worldview.