Hyphy Is Dead (Article Related)

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    This is probably the most interesting/sad part:

One big problem, she explained, was that local artists were locked into messy independent deals that became a problem when the major labels came knocking.

There was one artist who signed up with three separate companies, Day says. "Majors were looking at him for different deals, but people kept surfacing and stopping the deal," she says. This happens in other parts of the country too, she says, but the difference is the ability to strike a deal so that both sides profit. "Here," she says, the smaller labels "are more interested in blocking than profiting."

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    thizz in peace, hyphy. we hardly knew ye.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    what's hyphy?

b/w

Idontgiveafuckabout"new"genres

who has the inside scoop on Keak's ill-advised, allegedly crack-induced decline of a major label offer?

• didn't keak have ties to Moe doe tho'?

• Idontgiveafuckabout"new"genres

what about that new genre: "ball of eyes"

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

One big problem, she explained, was that local artists were locked into messy independent deals that became a problem when the major labels came knocking.

There was one artist who signed up with three separate companies, Day says. "Majors were looking at him for different deals, but people kept surfacing and stopping the deal," she says. This happens in other parts of the country too, she says, but the difference is the ability to strike a deal so that both sides profit. "Here," she says, the smaller labels "are more interested in blocking than profiting."

That's basically right, by my understanding.

Verrrrry typical Bay Area way of doing things.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    Hey DOWN here in the ATL " Crunk" has been dead for at least a year now.
    The thing thats still poppin' is "SNAP"..which has almost ran it's course.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts

As E-40 said, "The term player hater originated in the Bay Area."

And as much as I like him, I just don't see someone like Keak reaching a broader audience.

As E-40 said, "The term player hater originated in the Bay Area."

And as much as I like him, I just don't see someone like Keak reaching a broader audience.

See that is just way wrong (and something I heard more often from people IN the Bay than out of it). People said the same thing about 40. Keak could have absolutely reached a broader audience but his business was so fucked.

There were majors out there who were seriously competing for Keak. Don't get it twitted. He could've done big things.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    maybe you crybabies should move out to fresno. its just gettin cracken out there!

maybe you crybabies should move out to fresno. its just gettin cracken out there!

Do I sense a Bay credentials measuring contest in the offing?

Allow me to offer the following line to whoever uses it first:

YOUR FAVORITE BAY RAP CREW IS DISPOSABLE HEROES OF HIPHOPRISY, SON!

And who can forget the flamboyant MC Hammer (Capitol).

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    i wasnt a HUGE fan of hyphy except for the local factor. i like old 85bpm e40 myself.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

carpetbaggeuring liquidating. priced to move.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    FAUX RILLZ U ICE BREAKING MAWCHINE

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    FAB, Feds, E-40 & The Pack are all set to drop major label albums this year...

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    ps this article is horrible.

is a Pack full-length really necessary?

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    PPS I heard a new Turf Talk single today (feat. E-40) that was incredible.

ps this article is horrible.

Haha... I just noticed this:

Web Vote
    Is the Bay Area's brand of hip-hop, hyphy, dead?
    Yes
    No
    Maybe

?? Have more to say? Tell us now in our forum.

Also: Call our hyphy hotline and give us your thoughts. Your message could later end up in a podcast: (408) 920-5928.

Why don't you get on the hyphy hotline and tell 'em why you mad.

• SPEARHEAD IS THE REAL.

SPEARHEAD IS THE REAL.

I hear you ride for Sacred Hoop. (possibly true story?)

• Midnight Voices= CLASSIC

• SPEARHEAD IS THE REAL.

I hear you ride for Sacred Hoop. (possibly true story?)

Well, I've ridden with them a couple times (in the literal sense)...

Are you still hosting the Beats Lyrics And Conscious Knowledge comeback mixtape?

I got some VG capital tax if anyone wants.

• Are you still hosting the Beats Lyrics And Conscious Knowledge comeback mixtape?

Well, technically, it's a cassingle.

:5pager:

• I got some VG capital tax if anyone wants.

I'll trade you a mint WHITE CLOUDZ single....

Are you still hosting the Beats Lyrics And Conscious Knowledge comeback mixtape?

Well, technically, it's a cassingle.

:5pager:

mwwwahahahaha